When is curved armor better than angled?

For gameplay purposes the color-coded stuff should give you some idea. E.g. the T-34s curved turret front is a lighter shade of green, so less well-protected than its hull front, esp with early models. It's sometimes enough to make me not want to go hull-down with 'em, but that's a dead horse.

Probably the stuff internal to the program is far more complicated than anything they put in an info screen. Wouldn't surprise me if the code tracks where on the curved plate the shell hits, with different angles for the different parts...

Frunze's suggestion is a good rule of thumb IMO. A quick glance at the colour bars will show that the curved armour is usually the weakest point of the tank and needs to be taken into account when deciding to go hull down etc.

FWIW I reckon that curved armour is equivalent to around a 15-20 degree slope from my experience. 30 degrees seems high.

Curved in CMBB predictably acts about the same as 30 degree slope does. There is slightly higher variance, meaning you may see about 1/6 ricochet from "curved" that would have penetrated 30 degrees, and sometimes vice versa. I say this based on testing penetration ranges of numerous weapon types against T-34 turret fronts in particular.

If you read the "30 degree" line of the penetration charts to find your effective range against a plate rated as "curved", you will in practice have the right range. If you want to be a little more certain, get a little closer (100m or so will generally serve), or to play it safe, stay little farther (likewise), to address the higher variance.

Remember also that thicknesses must be adjusted for armor quality rating, when using this rule of thumb. As long as you include that, you will predict the behavior actually seen pretty well.

I hope this helps.

[ February 17, 2003, 06:15 AM: Message edited by: JasonC ]

Curved armor is usually the weakest point on a target cause it is cast, and is usually on the front of the turret where weight and thickness have to be held down.

With center of target mass aim, the bottom of the mantlet gets hit more often than the middle section.

We've seen many German pictures of IS-2 tanks with holes in the turret front from 88L71 hits at 2000m. But the German pictures do not show the hits that bounced off an IS-2 and allowed the 122mm gun to zero in on the 88L71 Pak or Nashorn.