Buying units and not getting what you expected.

I just started a attack with 2000 points. I bought a green sturmtiger and when I got to the setup screen he was conscript. If I wanted to save points I would have bought him conscript but instead I lost points because I bought him as green. Does this piss anybody else off? What does the game do with the points I lose? and how does it figure what unit gets promoted or demoted?

A platoon of Stugs and a SturmTiger? In a 2000 points QB? That's what I call a balanced force... tongue.gif

In CMBB there's some radomness concerning your troops' experience. Buy a regular infantry company and you'll get some vets, some greens, while most the men will be regulars.

Same with tanks. In a recent QB I bought 2 Stugs and 2 Tiger Is. All were bought as regs. It turned out that one Stug and a Tiger were regular, one Stug was veteran and one Tiger was green.

I like that kind of uncertainty.

I guess some people find it irritating that you can't turn of the quality randomiser feature, but most people seem happy that it adds more than it detracts. HQ bonuses have always been random and I don't remember them being much of an issue. At the end of the day it works equally for both sides, and if you are that worried about units being exactly as picked, play scenarios.

Originally posted by Parabellum

I like that kind of uncertainty.
Precisely why I like this "feature", as well.

Now for you people knocking Der Strurmtiger....WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU!!!

I love that tank, historically accurate in scenarios or not. Drop a couple of rounds in the general neighborhood of your enemy and watch the fun unfold.

editted cuz i meant to say i like this feature as well and not to prompt Parabellum's response below

[ January 24, 2003, 06:27 PM: Message edited by: mike the wino ]

Originally posted by mike the wino:

Precisely why like this "feature"?

Quite simple. I like it because I like the additional challenge. Gives me a "Well, see how you handle it, commander!" - feeling...

In CMBO I sometimes played guys who tailored their forces down to the last point using all tricks they could. In CMBB quite some stuff is randomized thus rewarding the flexible commanders. This is one of the reasons why I like setting the 'casualties' to 20-30%.

If you can't win a battle because your one and only 'Ueberweapon' didn't made it to the battlefield you should change your tactics...

Originally posted by ParaBellum:

This is one of the reasons why I like setting the 'casualties' to 20-30%.

Setting Casualties to say 50% means that you'll get a force size twice as large, in points, and half of them will have been executed before setup phase. You still have X points total, just with a larger percentage of HQs, and a bunch of casualtied squads.

Admittedly, fighting with two squads each of which is half strength might be tougher (?) than one full strength squad, but if that difference exists I would suppose it must be slight.

If you want true random casualties, id est, affecting true force size, you'll have to limit your own spending, or walk them off the board yourself, et cetera.

EDIT- typo

Eden

[ January 23, 2003, 06:39 PM: Message edited by: Eden Smallwood ]

Originally posted by Eden Smallwood:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by ParaBellum:

This is one of the reasons why I like setting the 'casualties' to 20-30%.

Setting Casualties to say 50% means that you'll get a force size twice as large, in points, and half of them will have been executed before setup phase. You still have X points total, just with a larger percentage of HQs, and a bunch of casualtied squads.

Admittedly, fighting with two squads each of which is half strength might be tougher (?) than one full strength squad, but if that difference exists I would suppose it must be slight.

If you want true random casualties, id est, affecting true force size, you'll have to limit your own spending, or walk them off the board yourself, et cetera.

EDIT- typo

Eden </font>

Originally posted by Shadow 1st Hussars:

10% of your units will be below the experiance level you got them at, and 10% will be lower. It's in the manual.

that doesn't quite sound right to me. are you sure you don't mean 10% *above* and 10% below? the way I read your post suggests 10% are below, and another 10% are even lower in experience (=2 levels).

btw care to point out where exactly in the manual does it say that? I can't find that info, neither on pp. 171ss nor 183ss. ??

Originally posted by M Hofbauer:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Shadow 1st Hussars:

10% of your units will be below the experiance level you got them at, and 10% will be lower. It's in the manual.

that doesn't quite sound right to me. are you sure you don't mean 10% *above* and 10% below? the way I read your post suggests 10% are below, and another 10% are even lower in experience (=2 levels).

btw care to point out where exactly in the manual does it say that? I can't find that info, neither on pp. 171ss nor 183ss. ?? </font>

Originally posted by Shadow 1st Hussars

It's in the manual
PUUUUUHHLLLLEEEEEEEEEZZZ!!!! You can't expect us to read that thing? :D

I have buddy who won't play without casualities on. I never really thought anything about it. His justicification: how many units were at full strength on the front line? Once he explained that, it made perfect sense.