Finally got to use the SturmTiger

Old news I know, but I get excited over little things. It was also one of the bloodiest battles I've ever fought in a QB.

Me and a friend did a QB and finally, after years of playing, the date / year matched up (we play random dates) with variable rarity to allow me to get a SturmTiger. I ended up getting a company of men, 81mm spotter along with it, and a scout car.

My friend had a fairly casual force. 76mm Shermans and one T34, and quite a bit of infantry.

The map was long length wise and I was much further away from the flags than him. However all the flags are very exposed, this was perfect for my SturmTiger. I had the elevation and LOS to easily destroy him. I had to cross a huge open farm area and climb uphill to even get near the flags though, so I was just as exposed.

I saw movement near the church, so I shot a round at it. It missed, but my second shot was incredibly solid. The reload times of the ST didn't bother me much, but did make picking a target crucial.

After I evaporated the flags with suspected enemy movement I moved out. I got a small flag, but the church flag advance was halted by artillery fire. He kept putting guys on the church to defend and I kept nuking him, but it was all he could do to hold that flag.

The end result was a draw, and my ST got 115 infantry kills.

662.jpg

Heh heh heh.

If you want real mayhem try combining the Sturmtiger with a spotter for those big but horribly inaccurate incendiary rockets (400-something mm?).

Armageddon.

I recall I did a random QB once. I was Russian infantry on defense. I waited and waited, then finally quit the game in frustration. When I went back to the map I found the AI had given itself a SturmTiger which had got stuck JUST outside of LOS of my troops! Whew!

Originally posted by MikeyD:

I recall I did a random QB once. I was Russian infantry on defense. I waited and waited, then finally quit the game in frustration. When I went back to the map I found the AI had given itself a SturmTiger which had got stuck JUST outside of LOS of my troops! Whew!

That is crazy luck. I worried about something similiar happening to my ST. Ground conditions weren't very ideal (damp). When you actually get a chance to purchase a ST, it's pretty much your entire force no matter what.

Ahh yes i remember the ST, sure as heck haven't used it in a long time. Problem i had was that my opponent used his T-34s to speed up by my ST for side/rear shots on it. Didn't really have much to deal with his tanks, ST is just too damn expensive.

On a side note, i forgot how plain the stock flags look. Check out this flag mod, made by Grunt. Although i don't think the screenies do this mod justice, they look much better ingame.

I think I read on this forum that the Sturmtiger took 10 minutes to reload, but the game reduces that to 3 minutes to increase playability. It might be interesting to reduce the ammo load to one round per ten minutes of scenario length, as a way to "abstractly" model the vehicle's influence on the battlefield more accurately. For example, in a 30 minute battle the Sturmtiger would get to fire three times. Granted, it would be less fun.