another review that may amuse

I think it's a fairly good review actually, considering it's intended audience. The review is quite positive about the game. OK so it doesn't go into all the little details and they got a couple of facts a bit skewed, so what? maybe they had a space limit, maybe they just didn't want to risk boring their intended audience with all the grog facts. To be so relatively positive about CMBB on a mainstream game site is pretty good.

[ January 09, 2003, 10:20 AM: Message edited by: Ant ]

Ugh, no info, crap screenshots and an error in every sentence.. well at least they were positive.

"More of a prequel than a sequel, Combat Mission 2 takes place in the years leading up to Normandy 1944" Uh-huh, I suppose more info would be too grog-like tongue.gif

"RTS games can often be too similar, so authenticity and variety is crucial to help distinguish them from the competition." Big problem indeed, I always have trouble distinguishing between Close Combat, Combat Mission and Red Alert..

But what really takes the cake is the description of gameplay:

"Regarding gameplay, missions are turn-based. Many people may initially be discouraged by such a term, but it is a standard element of play in these games and is completely justified. Combat Mission 2 focuses continually on strategy and planning. Playing against the clock rushes players, and everyone makes mistakes. The trick to a successful mission is to take your time, think ahead and develop sound contingency plans."

Not only does it give no impression of what gameplay is like, it also gives a completely wrong impression by stating that the game is turn-based as you would expect of such a game.

Originally posted by Rob Murray:

Cris:

Do you enjoy CMBB? If so, then who cares about some stupid review?

The two sort of go hand in hand. I enjoy CMBB and would like to see a sequel. Bad reviews can hurt sales and decrease that chance, as well as the inverse. Also, bad reviews also diminish the pool of potential PBEM opponents, scenario designers, and mod makers. And forum members!

I can see your logic - "if you already own the game then reviews don't matter much to you." But anything CMBB related gets discussed and argued around here with incredible and, uh, ridiculous detail. smile.gif

Originally posted by murpes:

... But anything CMBB related gets discussed and argued around here with incredible and, uh, ridiculous detail. smile.gif

Actually, if you check the other forums, especially the General Forum, you'll find that EVERYTHING gets discussed and argued. Usually in both incredible and ridiculous detail. :D Some of the threads look more like legal briefs.

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

"thousands of computer generated" quick battles was the line that slays me. I know M1 Tank Platoon had a finite set of battles, and the computer simply picked one, but the CM QB generator is random, so the number of QBs is in theory infinite.

Practiaclly infinite, since there is a maximum size of a battle field eventually you could generate every possible combination of tiles, size, troops, and conditions. I'm sure somebody with a better handle on mathematics could figure out an approximation, but by my calculations it would be around 999 gadgillion. The way some of you guys play this game, I bet you're getting close to the end of the combinations.

The QB generator is excellent tho - I've never even had to games that looked similar. Other games that have random scenario generators usually end up presenting levels that are different, but all feel the same in the end.