MOD WIP Preview--The Italians!

Originally posted by Seahawk-vfa201:

One flaw though:

the insignia of officers are the ones from NAVY !!! :D

Army have different and only on shoulders, not on sleeves

This isn't even close to being true. See my GD site for a listing of officer's insignia. From what I can tell, officer's didn't even have shoulder strap insignia.

Unless you'd care to post some samples?

The only ranks to wear shoulder strap insignia were Warrant Officers.

[ May 20, 2003, 08:30 AM: Message edited by: Michael Dorosh ]

Originally posted by Seahawk-vfa201:

One flaw though:

the insignia of officers are the ones from NAVY !!! :D

Army have different and only on shoulders, not on sleeves

The insigna for officers are quite correct. The shoulder-only-ranks are a post WW2 innovation.

And, BTW, Navy officers had (and have) a circular loop over the rank stripes, while Army officers had (as depicted) oval loops.

BTW the Blackshirts had diamond shaped loops, so they should be changed in Andrew's MOD. Moreover the Blackshirts had not the five pointed star on their collar tabs, but small metal fasces.

What I'd like to see is the addition of the distictive black feather on the left side of the Alpini's helmet. In fact it was almost unherd of, for the Alpini, to use helmet without this distiction.

Regards,

Amedeo

P.S. It would be interesting also to have a Bersaglieri uniform mod for the mobile troops. Currently CM models cavalry uniforms but, since Italian cavalry rarely operated dismounted and considering that the typical 'fast troops' were the famous Bersaglieri, it would make more sense to use their uniforms for the 3rd set (besides Infantry and Alpini). The problem would be to make a mod for the feathers' drop on their helmets :eek:

Originally posted by massimorocca:

IIRC the NCO and higher ranks had a uniform a bit less dark than troops.

That's true, indeed. However it was not uncommon for junior officers to wear enlisted men style uniforms (except for the rank insigna, of course). So, maybe one could reserve the lighter shade for company and battalion HQs.

Regards,

Amedeo

Thanks for the link, Massimorca!

This is a work in progress, so there are a few inconsistencies still, like with the blackshirts. I posted the WIP shots here in hopes of getting some more information, which I did, so thanks to all! smile.gif

Funny that the idea of the Bersaglieri should be brought up, as I was thinking of doing them for the mech. troops. What I do need though is a clear picture of the Bersaglieri helmet insignia. If anyone has a pic of this or can scan one for me and e-mail it (e-mail is in profile) I would be very appreciative.

Also, the BN/COY HQ units do have lighter colored uniforms than the rest of the troops, as can be seen in the Black Shirts screenie.

Any and all info on Italian uniforms is appreciated. I've already found the obvious ones (Italianfront.com, and that Italian reenactors site) but anything else would be helpful. Something in Italian perhaps. As an Alfa Romeo owner and avid shop manual reader I can usually figure out what's being said, or at least enough to get me in trouble. :D

Andrew I am sending some stuff to you know. I hope you get it.

Some websites to check are

web page

[url=http://www.commandosupremo.com]

I can't wait to see the finished product!

On Bersaglieri they were basically light infantry attached to cavalry and armoured divisions. For transportation they used lorries,motor bikes and bicycles.

Fitz

[ May 20, 2003, 07:24 PM: Message edited by: fitz ]