* Mod Updated! *

I've never been happy with the way the 44-dot camo uniforms turned out in my Waffen-SS late-war uniforms set, so I monkeyed with the colors until they looked better. It's a great improvement. I also took the opportunity to correct a few inaccuracies and I threw in a couple of little extra goodies as well (little goodies--don't get too excited). Plenty of reasons to download it again!

dot.jpg

gray.jpg

Winter versions pretty much done, too.

winter.jpg

Look for them both at: where else? :D

[edited to make post title more exciting]

[ April 24, 2003, 03:38 PM: Message edited by: AndrewTF ]

Originally posted by Gyrene:

It's a sin to let an AndrewTF mod post drift down without a *bump*

Gyrene

Makes me want to go out and invade Poland.

No offence to Andrew, but it's easy to get blase...after a while you get used to beautiful sunrises and don't stop to notice them (or drool, if you prefer) anymore...

Doesn't make the sunrises any less beautiful....

Looks Great!! Andrew, one questioin though, it had to be a b***h to get the chivken wire on the helmets, but isn't the wire a bit to large on the helmets?? What I mean is the gaps in the wire look a little to wide. I have a original helmet from the Kurland pocket, but maybe I'm just being a bit to picky on the helmet wire.

Originally posted by tracer:

Looks Great!! Andrew, one questioin though, it had to be a b***h to get the chivken wire on the helmets, but isn't the wire a bit to large on the helmets?? What I mean is the gaps in the wire look a little to wide. I have a original helmet from the Kurland pocket, but maybe I'm just being a bit to picky on the helmet wire.

:mad: Last time I got lectured by Dorosh (back in the CMBO days) on the wire being too small :mad: Now you're telling me it's too big! ;)

From what I've seen, the wire sizes varied. I think it had to do with the size of the chickens. This wire was used to contain big roosters while obviously the original owner of your helmet had ripped off the wire from a farm raising poussins or cornish game hens. tongue.gif

But as I said in my earlier post, it must be a b***h to mod this on a helmet, so maybe it can't be modded to look any differnt. I mean after all, if it hadn't been for the earlier uniform mods you have done the figures in the game would look like crap, and that's always beena isuue, even in CMBO about the way the figures look. So anyway, I guess the hell with constuctive critisim, and just live with it :D

It's not as tough as you think. I just didn't want to get lectured on chickenwire sizes again. smile.gif Actually, I initially, way back when, made a small version for CMBO, which was pointed out as "inaccurate", so I made a larger one analagous to the CMBB version seen here. Both looked ok, really, but the bigger one looked cooler so I stuck with it.

Both are correct, so maybe I'll make a small one, too.

I don't feel bad smile.gif . No matter how much research I do (I'm not a grog by any means but I'm a pretty good researcher) and how accurate I try to make things someone is bound to disagree. I think it's funny how things are usually voiced in absolutes, i.e. "never" and "always" instead of "rarely" and "often". Everybody's right most of the time, really. :D

Look I'm not a "chicken wire grog", by no means, and your right I have a pack that is part russian and part german. And I only asked a question about the wire on the helmet. I wasn't making a statement. I get e-mails all the time about the mods I have done, and in some there are questions about camo schemes and such. I don't get all crappy about the questions, I think constructive critism is a good thing as long as it is constructive. So sorry if the question was taken wrong.

Tracer - Sorry you took it that way. I thought I used enough smilies (like these smile.gif:D;) )to indicate that I was taking the whole discussion in a light-hearted way. smile.gif I thought it was amusing that the two times I made something like this the criticisms I received were exactly the opposite of each other (does that make sense?). I thought it was amusing, nothing more.

Like I mentioned before: everybody's really right here, and there are no absolutes. smile.gif

And yes, I get e-mails all the time about my mods, too. Sometimes I ignore them and sometimes I take heed of the constructive criticism the contain.

Sorry Tracer. I guess I should have used a smiley too. smile.gif

No offense meant. I always get a kick about how much esoteric knowledge is out there in the forums. It seems there is no topic obscure enough that it won't get a quick answer.

Unless it's trying to explain MasterGoodale.

That's what makes this such a great place.

Again, sorry if I came across as being snide.

Cheers,

Jason

P.S. Superb work as always Andrew

Andrew:

Everything I've seen in your W-SS mods pretty much matches up with what I've seen in my " Camouflage Uniforms of the Waffen SS " book. Please keep up the good work & thanks for all your effort.

P.S.

I used your LW infantry winter mod ( CMMOS'ed ) to repell a Russian armored attack. It looked & went really well. The Ivans died miserable deaths out on the ice. :D

[ April 25, 2003, 02:09 PM: Message edited by: Rob Murray ]

No offense taken guys ;) , I just hope that when people see something about a mod I do they won't mind telling me what they like or dislike. One thing that is needed a lot more (I think) is feed back (and on scenarios too).As long as it is meant in a good way, not like some of the idiots who have been on the forum posting things like "those look like clowns" and such. But my experience with CM and the community, is that the majority of the people are just good ole wargamers and history buffs, and that is what makes the game even better.

I did make a version with smaller chickenwire last night, but it didn't look very good due to the distortion, which was mainly in the brim area. For some reason the larger pattern does not distort as much. I may remove the wire from the brim (as I have seen examples like this) and release that version for those who want it.

My ultimate idea is to put together a "helmet pack" mod with different camouflage paint patterns, foliage, wire, etc. I was working on a version with rope netting that looked promising. smile.gif

Not really my place to say anything on the subject...but...I don't really care if the wire is too big/small/rectangular or made in Taiwan for that matter..AndrewTF has made a great mod and i am so envious of his skill. Cheers for the hard work and remember to reimburse the chicken farmers for all that "liberated" wire...lol smile.gif