it happened again !

I love playing the Russians

BUT I have never played a game where T34's do battle with KT's

I should Try it :D

What scenario is that?

Maybe the KT deserved what it got?

what was that range? 90m! :eek:

Hell that 88mm main weapons should stand off 1-1.5 KM (1000 -1500m) and pick off those poor defenseless T-34's :rolleyes:

oh well

Did you win the battle or lose the battle?

-tom w

[ May 13, 2003, 10:54 AM: Message edited by: aka_tom_w ]

Originally posted by MikeyD:

Even at 90 yards a T-34/76 shouldn't have been able to do that! ...unless he cleverly managed to come up from behind for a rear shot. Are you telling us the whole story? Sounds like you were battling against a 'Hero of the Soviet Republic'!

i've played Marxsdorf, and they are T34/85's. just after i waxed his second-to-last friend, the last one of them finally got my KT @ 900 yards

Ok, lets re-cap

i was playing the maxdorf mission some one tell me why at 90 yards a t34 knocked out my king tiger after i hit it 2 times............. god must hate dutch ppl..........dam it!
and

there were six t-34s

And then suggested by aka_tom_w

Maybe the KT deserved what it got?

what was that range? 90m!

Hell that 88mm main weapons should stand off 1-1.5 KM (1000 -1500m) and pick off those poor defenseless T-34's

But this by Tweety just sums it up:

On the whole, if you're driving in a KT and let a T34 (85?)get that close to you, you deserve everything bad that happens.

Methinks that Tweety nailed the problem on the head. Suggested course of action: replace malfunctioning biological unit with one that has A) better tactical sense, and B) more sense than to grouse about how unfair the game is where they do something outright silly. :D

If you want to see how tough the T-34/85 is do a search for the Nippy Challenge. You get 6 T-34/85s, 3 thin-skinned AFVs and 2 sharpshooters against 4 KTs on a large map. Lots of fun hunting the kitties down. Changed the way I play Germans dramatically. :eek:

[ May 13, 2003, 04:22 PM: Message edited by: mike_the_wino ]

Guest Mike

Maxdorf is a night game - you don't get to stand bak 2km with your KT's and waste teh nasty Russians - in fact you're a long way out from optimum employment of KT's in this game 'cos they're close infantry support!

And they're T34/85's BTW which will happily penetrate the turret front of the KT's IIRC (certainly have no trouble with the sides!).

Marxdorf isn't a night game. Plenty of wide open spaces and a tight town fight.

No one else in this thread seems to be bothering with spolier warnings so I'll skip one too.

My KT bagged all but two or three of the gaggle of T34/85s that came through the woods road. The others got whacked as they tried to flank it by zooming straight down the woods road; PFs from my advance infantry platoon. It was no cakewalk and plenty of teeth-gritting ricochets were endured. It even took a crew casulaty part way through becuase I kept telling the bastard to poke his head out the hatch to get a good glimpse of the action. Also, if my big kitty had been just a tad further along it might have had its flank exposed at the start of the encounter.

Originally posted by Brent Pollock:

My KT bagged all but two or three of the gaggle of T34/85s that came through the woods road. The others got whacked as they tried to flank it by zooming straight down the woods road; PFs from my advance infantry platoon. It was no cakewalk and plenty of teeth-gritting ricochets were endured. It even took a crew casulaty part way through becuase I kept telling the bastard to poke his head out the hatch to get a good glimpse of the action. Also, if my big kitty had been just a tad further along it might have had its flank exposed at the start of the encounter.

I tried this battle from the Soviet side and I had the exact opposite happen.

I kept the T-34/85s in reserve and formed a very large "key Hole" at the mouth of the forest where the road exits it. Enemy HT's rolled into view one at a time and were quickly destroyed. Now the AI was faced with a problem. Use the KT to bust up my key hole and tie up a company of T-34/85s, or roll into town at take out the 4 T-34/85s that show up there?

The KT chose to duel with the keyhole. He got about 4 tanks, but burned up all his ammo in the process. Meanwhile the T-34s that arrive near town had a field day knocking out HTs with the KT was busy elsewhere.

I managed a 5 to 1 kill ratio in both tanks and men and I had control of the entire town when the battle ended. The KT was running away after he ran out of AP shells. The 90mm of sloped turret armor was a real life saver at longer ranges.

P.S. As for the start of this thread about the T-34/85 head to head battle. I ran a test with the mission editor, and yes, at 100m or less a 85mm Tungston round will go through the Turret of the KT about 30% to 40% of the time. And all but 1 or 2 of the T-34s in the battle had Tungston rounds.

After thrashing the woods-road T34s, my KT never really made it into the town, just to the edge near the flag, where it helped an armoured infantry platoon hold on. I still held a good chunk of the town as I got in place fast and one or two of the T34s that did not have to contend with the KT went down to PSK shots. My Stummel got mauled, though.