Infantry versus Armor

Okay, I know I am getting way ahead of myself since I have yet to get the game or manual (but I have been playing the demo nonstop for a week and ordered both BO and BB). But how does infantry assault tanks? In Yelnia Stare, my tank hunter teams are the only ones with an armor arc (besides the useless doorknockers), but I always get them shot up before they have a chance to even worry about getting out of their foxholes. And my other squads with molotovs and bundle grenades don't have an armor arc.

How close should I let armor get before rushing them? Or does the armor arc mean that they will do it by themselves? And should I place hunter teams out in front of my wooded lines in the open or hide them in the woods and hope the Russians make the mistake of coming too close?

I think the demo scenarios are a little, erm, unbalanced. Making it difficult to use tank hunters to their best effect. But, yes, if you leave them with a 30m cover armor arc, they will engage any tanks that come within range.

Take a peek at the "MasterGoodale vs Parabellum AAR" thread for a nice example of early war tank hunter teams in action. Not to mention that it is a good/interesting/funny read.

Also, take a look at the FAQ thread, in this forum, and at the "Tips and Tricks" forum. Finally, always try using the search function. Nearly every question has been asked before, and it is much faster to find an answer this way than to wait for people to post!

A TH team will chuck HE at ranges of 40m or less. A Cover Armor 40m arc will do it. Don't rush tanks if you can help it, because they rusher gets shot to bits. For the non-Cover Armor arc users, a normal Cover Arc still makes them engage tanks that venture within the arc, but their effective range is less, probably around 30m.

I think close assault is abstracted in that within 30 m the individuals in a squad start running out, prancing all about the tank like rabid squirrels storing their nuts (explosives) in various crevices

of the tank. I think you can increase the tendency (not sure) that the unit will abstractly do so at the beginning of the turn by targeting the tank. Alternatively I have experienced if you let the tank get really really close to your unit (like I had one under it), the tank can still machine gun you a bit but it can't use it's main gun. Due to borg spotting, and other things, I don't recommend breaking cover and running up to a tank from more than 40-50m even if you are running from behiind, the tank is buttoned and the turret is facing forward and it is dark out. It will spot you. (Sneaking can work). Better to let it come to you.

Conan

Assaulting tanks can be a pretty tough task, especially in the early years when most of your weapons are hand-thrown; especially if the tank's smart enough to stand-off and pound you from a distance; especially if you were raised on those 'twitch' shooter games!

In CMBB John Wayne-style bravery will get you dead real fast. What works best for me is to put my men someplace where the tanks can't reach me (a street over, behind trees, etc.) and hope he makes the mistake of comin' to hunt me out -- and runs into my hidden anti-tank teams in the precess. The toughest opponent to beat is a patient opponent.

[ January 27, 2003, 11:45 AM: Message edited by: MikeyD ]

MikeyD wrote:

In CMBB John Wayne-style bravery will get you dead real fast.

Which is true 99% of the time, but always watch for that rare opportunity. Most of the time, if you go rushing out towards a tank you'll go home in a box. But, and I'll use a situation that happened in a game a while back with a friend.

My Tank Hunter team lay hidden at the edge of a wood, about 40 meters away in the open was a BT-7. The Ruskie tank may not have seen the AT unit, but I don't know for sure. I had other infantry in the woods, so when it became obvious the tank was not coming any closer, I ordered two squads to open up on the tank with small arms (it was already buttoned, but I wanted the distraction value), and then rushed the tank with the AT team.

It worked. The sudden and unexpected small arms fire did the job, the tank was indeed distracted momentarily but it was just enough to allow the AT team to get close enough to toss a grenade bundle onto it. The tank was destroyed, and no casualties were taken.

[ January 27, 2003, 01:53 PM: Message edited by: Bruno Weiss ]