A poll.

Regarding TCP/IP games, what do you guys consider an acceptable limit on turn times? I'm talking about the setting that limits how long each player can take on his turn.

When me and my brother used to play over my LAN he would take, literally, over half an hour micro-managing his forces (wiping each soldier's botty as I use to complain). Then I discovered the time-limit setting, and it was five minutes max thereafter.

So, for an online war (tourny), what's acceptable/advisable?

Obviously the time limit has to depend on the size of the scenario. If you have a 2 platoon tank battle, 5 minutes is more than enough, but if you're fighting a battalion size infantry battle, you'll need much more.

I've never played a TCP/IP game, so you better listen to those who have. However in my PBEM battles I have never needed more than 10 minutes for one turn (including watching the movie).

two tank platoons 1 minute turns basically 1500 /2000 points is the break from 1 minute to 2 minutes.

The idea is pretty much you are playing in real time so you plan your orders to rely on the AI to help you and move in platoons.

IMHO it works very well as the demon of borg spotting is negated to a degree and you are playing as close as dammit to real time. Great adrenalin rush.

I suspect if you play a town battle this would not apply but large maps and platton movement are easy.

Originally posted by Kellysheroes:

I'd say 10 minutes per turn is acceptable. 1 minute or 2 minute turns just turn it into an RTS kiddie clickfest which I despise. One can always end their turn early, but, if they need that 10 minutes then they should have it.

I'm not sure how popular that would be on a 30-turn game? That's five and a half hours...how many players would have that much time to devote on a regular basis? I figured a max of five minutes would just about be acceptable to most players. Personally I'm fine with ten minutes, but then I'm self-employed and I do have a lot of free time (which is why I can do online wars), a luxury not enjoyed by most.

Plus it would be nice to have games longer than 30 turns, especially if the map/sides are large. That increases the time overhead.

But that's why I've posted this poll, to see what you guys are comfortable with. It would be a pleasant suprise to discover there are loads of players happy to devote and entire saturday/sunday to combat, but I doubt if that's going to prove to be the case. smile.gif

Originally posted by tankibanki:

Do TCP/IP games have to be finished in one session?

No, you can stop and then restart from the saved game file.

Personally, I've only played with a time limit twice. Both times it was a two minute limit, which was a little steep. However, I think it added to the fog of war in that your orders can't be perfect every turn, and sometimes you just forget about a platoon on your flank in the confusion. Of course, time limits are harder on the attacker than the defender. 10 minutes is far too long in any case. 5 is a nice round amount, but for most games I would say no more than 3 or four.