Super Red Army Units

Old&Slow

Wow, great game & lots of Fun but evey time I invade Russia I end up, in attack or defense, trading them 1 for 1 and sometimes 2 for 1 in losses.

Their Inf. units also seem to inflict heavy losses on my Tank Units, which seems a bit odd in 1940. Never get to moscow at that rate.... :(

The Russians do seem tough in SC. The game design notes should shed some light on what goes into these combat resolutions. I assume we'll get documentation with some of these details explained.

I suspect SC uses probability of hit tables for unit types vs unit types, plus modifiers, then some kind of damage tables for unit types vs unit types, again with modifiers accounted for. Whether this accounts for actual unit strength vs unit strength (ie, odds) is not clear, since I've seen a lot of "high-odds" attack results which don't seem much different from "low-odds."

And are country modifiers assumed, in addition to research levels, or are all 10-factor level x units the same? I can't imagine all major and minor units being "equal," nor every major country being equal, but SC may do this to keep things simple and rely on research levels to account for all differences.

Anyway, there will be opportunites later to comment on all these parameters and suggest tweaks for some of them to account for historical differences in unit quality for different countries, if this isn't already factored into the game. Using the scenario editor to adjust starting research levels may help, and country modifiers for specific unit types may also be useful.

I'll add another observation about the Super Yugoslavian corps defending Belgrade in a game last night. Even with 2 Italian Armies, 2 Italian corps, an Italian HQ, Italian air and a Hungarian corps for support, Belgrade held out for 3 turns! I even provided a German strategic bomber attack on the first assault prior to moving it to support Barbarossa and then adding in the Italian air force. Those last couple of Yugoslav factors had amazing endurance, and then would get reinforced back to 8 every turn. May have just been bad luck, but sure was frustrating considering the combat power allocated to the task. This is the kind of thing I was referring to in the previous post about high-odds attacks not seeming any different. :(

Combat results can depend on many factors including experience, terrain, HQ leadership ratings etc., this will be outlined in more detail in the User Manual, can't say for sure but my guess is that the Super Yugoslavian effect was due to the surrounding river hexes around Belgrade. Attacking from a river hex already halves your attack and there are also the inherent bonuses from defending on a city.

Hope that helps,

Hubert