Official Update

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Delta:

You offer no proof to support this, just keep stating it to be true and "I think I read it on a fansite.

"Whatever."

The throwaway line of the answerless.

" If you dont believe me than thats fine. You can just keep on believing your truth, and I will keep on believing mine."

You cant just make assertions and then think that faith is the same as proof.

Exactly which other games have Valve been writing?

"Hmmmm... I dont know..... Team Fortress II.... CounterStrike: Condition Zero... do they ring ANY bells? "

Cant say they do, but since they do pretty much what Mods have done its quite likely that the mods have cut into the market for these games.

Are you on your side of this argument or mine?

"Apparently you do not follow the industry or only follow the wargame part of the industry."

No, I dont follow the fatuous end of the FPS market

" Therefore you can not know how many people bought Half Life just for the mods. "

But I didn't claim to know, YOU did, now if you will just provide some numbers ands a credible source to back them?

" I just asked people in 5 games of defeat games and the total amount of people were 86. Out of that 86 people, 14 said they bought Half Life just to play the mods."

Correct me if I'm wrong but you asked people who were playing a mod if they bought the game to play it?

Are you trying to actually define statistically skewed sampling?

However in that group you have 72 people (the vast majority) who dont support your thesis, but have extended the usable life of the game for themselves (thereby depriving Valve of a potential sale of a newer game).

" Now, that may be a lot comparitively, but I think you can get the drift of the mod community from that. What I mean is, the percentage in that survey is high, but it may be higher or lower in the mod community - but you get the general flow of things."

That is a low percentage in a statistically skewed group and the sensible interpretation of those figures does not support your contention.

Good, then you admit that you have been posting nonsense, my work here is done.

"Good, then you can read Moons post and see that Hubert allows modding, and that all you have to do is ask first. Then maybe we can stop this argueing and get back to being friends smile.gif "

If you read what I have been trying hammer into your head for the last eleventy squillion posts, Moon pointed out EXACTLY the same thing as I have been saying - it is THEIR choice, not the customers.

Yes, I can see why Hubert would want to shoot himself in the foot that badly.

"That was just an example dude."

And a very bad one...

Why do you keep trying to move this into discussion about approved mods? is it because you've done so badly discussing IP theft?

"No, actually MODS IS THE ISSUE I AM ARGUEING ABOUT. NOT INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RIGHTS"

Mods are an IP rights issue, there are two types of mods - approved ones and illegal ones.

"(Well, I was argueing about that before, but I read up on some laws like you suggested, and I was proved wrong in that aspect. At least I am man enough to admit when I am wrong.)"

Thank you.

RE: Figures and Market research

"I have personal experience with people I know online and offline that have said they bought Half Life because they wanted to play the mods. Some said the mods were just icing on the cake, but some said the mods were the cake, and that the single player game was icing."

As noted above your personal experience constitutes wildly skewed statistical sampling, your interpretation of the results was badly biased and returned an absurd 'result'.

Then you need to work on your reading comprehension.

"Uh, not really. The only thing I am argueing about is modding. That is what I am talking about here. Obviously this thread was originally about hacking and hags, but, in my mind, it turned into a thread about modding. Thats why I said its an offshoot issue."

OK, one last time and I'll type slowly - Modding without permission is illegal, from an IP rights perspective modding and hacking are the same.

"Yeah, but modding is going to be done either way. You MUST realize that! Just because its illigal doesnt mean its going to stop. Outlaw ice cream and people will still get it one way or another. "

Son of XPAV!!!!! why does it always come back to 'people steal lots of things so its OK to steal'?

People steal cars, that does not mean that we should not prosecute car thieves at every opportunity.

" Now lets stop this silly argueing once and for all ;) "

OK

Bah I am not going to respond to your harsh comments, I will just let you win.

I like how you kept on saying harsh and hurtful things but then said ok to stop the argueing. lol, your a silly guy.

Now, back to clicking refresh on the order page every 5 seconds ;)

<snip> ...

Now, back to clicking refresh on the order page every 5 seconds ;)

Oh shoot! I'll have to step my refresh up to 3 seconds to beat yours... "Mr. President, we must not allow a refresh rate gap!!"

I want to be first damn it! ;)

On that note... I have to assume that the official kick off will happen while I'm driving to work, and cannot respond in time to be first...

I'd like to request an official announcement of the official start time for taking orders... (thinking of Oklahoma land rush scenes in my head)... I want to queue up (see I can be international too)... be in line first... I'll keep the phone line connected at all times...

Oh hell, I'm going to sleep...

Aloid

Hope the game is out when I wake up!

[QB]Bah I am not going to respond to your harsh comments, I will just let you win.

I like how you kept on saying harsh and hurtful things but then said ok to stop the argueing. lol, your a silly guy.

[QB]

Give it a rest, you have been posting nonsense, then saying "I won't argue any more" at the end as an attempt to get the last word in.

Your post above is just a continuation of that trend.

re 'harsh and hurtful' if you don't want your comments discussed, don't make them.

When I reply to a long post, I start at the top and work my way down, if you suggest letting the argument end at the bottom of the post that is where I will reply to it, but I won't change my replies to earlier parts of the post - you won't get a free shot.