#@!!*?%#! 4.56 Kb/ps dial up modem!

Poor Bucket. Here's some salt for those wounds.

It took me about 4 minutes to download. I was averaging 190K I guess. Cable modems rule!!

Unfortunately I spent all evening doing yardwork and decided to check the site before bed. Looks like I may be up awhile longer.

Yea DSL is a great thing,I have already started a pbem game,damn french ships bombing my coastline,however ive launch Airattacks against them,costly though.My navy stays silent and hopefully still hidden.

You will enjoy it bloodbucket,when it eventually arrives send me an email if you like

Almost broken-hearted, but after pondering things back and forth, I decided to pass with the demo for now. My modem is too slow for 26MB, and also the Download Accelerator seems to refuse to work with this one (yes, I still tried... ;) ). Lastly, I just read the two posts reporting problems with system crashes, and I can not afford any problems with something like this right now, even if the chances are ever so slim: I lost a lot of important data just a few weeks ago, and had to work overtime to get things back on track.

Straha

Thanks for the offers and envy for you broadband types. Download on 56k modem was a mere two hours (I can say that now) and the demo runs flawlessly. If I can sneak past the wife I will send Titan a turn. BTW, I have a Kyro chip in my graphics card, and I am glad to say there were no problems. :D

Straha, I understand not wanting to risk your system...

BUT, if you are more worried about the d/load time, it only takes two hours MAX on a 56k. Not too bad, considering you get to taste the game and see that it works on your system before ordering the full game.

Originally posted by Mr. Clark:

Straha, I understand not wanting to risk your system...

BUT, if you are more worried about the d/load time, it only takes two hours MAX on a 56k. Not too bad, considering you get to taste the game and see that it works on your system before ordering the full game.

I will order the full game anyway. smile.gif The reason I would like to play the demo would be more to give Hubert some feedback. (As we all know by now, he has always an open ear for our suggestions, as long as they are sensible and feasible. smile.gif )

Because what happened to me recently, I'm really paranoid with respect to my system at the moment.

Even though I got everything up and running again, (reinstalled everything etc.) I have some strange problems left. Especially, scandisk does refuse to work telling me that some application prevents it from starting. I could not figure out why this is (anyone has an idea?), but the effect is that after a bluescreen occurrs, any file-errors will not be fixed at restart.

But if the reports of system errors stop, then I will surely reconsider to start the two hours download. Still, there's also the problem that for some reason my download manager does not respond when clicking on the link. This means that if anything goes wrong (connection time out etc.) I would have to start from scratch. And I know that - within 2 hours - this WILL happen! :(

Straha

Especially, scandisk does refuse to work telling me that some application prevents it from starting. I could not figure out why this is (anyone has an idea?), but the effect is that after a bluescreen occurrs, any file-errors will not be fixed at restart.

Use CTL+ALT+DEL, when the task window opens select any programs running and click

End Task. Leave Explorer and Systray running those two should be the only entries in the

window. Then run scandisk.

Originally posted by Straha:

Almost broken-hearted, but after pondering things back and forth, I decided to pass with the demo for now. My modem is too slow for 26MB,

Straha

Hey Straha, is your location "exile", anywhere that a fellow lerker could reach with a CD? Maybe you are close to a fellow lerker, who might burn a copy for you and get it to you.

Besides, London's falling (forget about Paris... that's old news!!!) tongue.gif

Aloid

Originally posted by vimes:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Especially, scandisk does refuse to work telling me that some application prevents it from starting. I could not figure out why this is (anyone has an idea?), but the effect is that after a bluescreen occurrs, any file-errors will not be fixed at restart.

Use CTL+ALT+DEL, when the task window opens select any programs running and click

End Task. Leave Explorer and Systray running those two should be the only entries in the

window. Then run scandisk.</font>

Originally posted by Aloid:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Straha:

Almost broken-hearted, but after pondering things back and forth, I decided to pass with the demo for now. My modem is too slow for 26MB,

Straha

Hey Straha, is your location "exile", anywhere that a fellow lerker could reach with a CD? Maybe you are close to a fellow lerker, who might burn a copy for you and get it to you.

Besides, London's falling (forget about Paris... that's old news!!!) tongue.gif

Aloid</font>

EDIT: Did not work! The problem originally occurred after I had a bluescreen and a (temporary) harddisk malfunction. I also cleaned the registry and all temp-files, but no effect.

Have you tried to defrag the drive, it sounds like you might have a damaged cluster on the hd.

Originally posted by vimes:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />

EDIT: Did not work! The problem originally occurred after I had a bluescreen and a (temporary) harddisk malfunction. I also cleaned the registry and all temp-files, but no effect.

Have you tried to defrag the drive, it sounds like you might have a damaged cluster on the hd.</font>

Originally posted by Straha:

EDIT: Did not work! :( The problem originally occurred after I had a bluescreen and a (temporary) harddisk malfunction. I also cleaned the registry and all temp-files, but no effect.

Check and see if your discs are running in compatability mode, maybe.

Wonder if Shullencraft is around?

[ May 22, 2002, 02:42 PM: Message edited by: Compassion ]

Well, just to close this issue: in connection with that near HD crash I had, some sharing violations must have been introduced. The evil thing about this is that they prevented all diagnose and repair programs from working. In the end, I could run Scandisk from an emergency disk. It repaired stuff for two hours!!!! I wonder how it came that W98 still worked "almost" normally with all these errors under the hood. I still have to invest some work to restore some folders and lost files etc.

But the good news is that I will try the download of the SC demo soon. smile.gif

And thanks to all the people who helped me with suggestions. It was the fact that terminating all apps in the taskwindow (Cntl-Alt-Del) did not lead to scandisk (and defrag, which I later found!)stop claiming that "some other application" already locks the HD which gave me the right idea. :cool:

Straha

[ May 23, 2002, 02:15 AM: Message edited by: Straha ]