Russian Campaign

Maurader

What month in 1940 do you usually start your Russian Campaign? I usually start around September, 1940. Also what is the makeup of your force. I usually start with 4 Headquarters, 3 Air Fleets, 5-6 panzer units, and 6-8 armies and corps. I usually drive directly to moscow and have been able to capture it several times. The capital is then moved to the Urals and I have been able to capture this also. However, since all of my offensive power is in the north, I do not make much progress south. After I capture the Urals, the Capital is moved to Stalingrad and I run out of time in the scenerio. Has anybody been able to capture Stalingrad, Moscow and the Urals?

I've started on the fourth turn, I believe. So the first turn, I attack France. The second turn, I'm still in France and I also attack Switzerland and the Baltic states. The third turn is against the same three countries. And by the fourth turn or maybe the fifth or even sixth turn, actually, I invade Russia and maybe Vichy France.

Narayan

Seriously though, it may actually be a good idea to attack Switzerland for the pillage value. Historically Switzerland would have been a tough nut to crack, but in SC they're a walkover (not least because they are out of supply in their own country). :rolleyes:

Hi Guys,

I attack Switzerland because I've always wanted to do so in all of the other WWII games, and this is the only one that is great enough to offer it.

I also get 400 or so MPPs...

It does, of course, hasten the American entry into the war, but I was trying to provoke war with everyone just for kicks. I was also planning to attack the US, but haven't had time to properly do that yet. That campaign is still under way, and I may finish it tonight.

Narayan :D

This is another one (along with Ireland when playing the Allies) that I somehow missed entirely.

So, I tried it -- twice. Averaged 292 MPPs in plunder. Subtracting the cost of assaulting two mountain hexes, net gain was 50-60 MPPs (I tried it from the German side once, and another time waited until Italy joined, to attack from 4 sides).

USA average influence was +16%, Russia +6%.

On the face of it, it seems to be a reasonable ploy. However, there is no long term gain (no cities or icons... just a little sprite of The Gnome of Zurich :rolleyes: ) and attacking all these minor countries adds up (Sweden? Spain? Vicy? etc)to be an eventual detriment to Axis plans of hegemony.

Tempting, but choices must be made to insure USA does not start piling up troops & hardware too soon. smile.gif

One could attack Switzerland in COS, too. smile.gif

Anyway, I wouldn't do it for two reasons, the second of which was not mentioned yet:

1) It negatively influences the US and USSR.

2) When Im on the defense later (which surely can happen against a human player), Switzerland can provide a nice buffer shortening the front and limiting allied operations in France (where they can not "circumvent" the Rhine) and/or in Italy.

Surely, he can DOW Switzerland himself, especially as the US and Russia are already in the war, but at least this gives me any swiss units.

Straha

[ June 10, 2002, 02:00 PM: Message edited by: Straha ]

Originally posted by Straha:

One could attack Switzerland in COS, too. smile.gif

Anyway, I wouldn't do it for two reasons, the second of which was not mentioned yet:

1) It negatively influences the US and USSR.

2) When Im on the defense later (which surely can happen against a human player), Switzerland can provide a nice buffer shortening the front and limiting allied operations in France (where they can not "circumvent" the Rhine) and/or in Italy.

Surely, he can DOW Switzerland himself, especially as the US and Russia are already in the war, but at least this gives me any swiss units.

Straha

You can attack the Swiss in Europe Aflame too, but I wouldn't recommend it. The Swiss forces are modeled more accurately, and they tend to grind your Axis teeth down to the point that it's not worth the losses for what little you gain. Dug in mountain troops can really wear down the attacker (just ask the Yugoslavian partisans!).

O.K., I took out the Swiss tonight to see what would happen. Took Sweden to boot on the way to Russia.

What a cakewalk.

They were sitting on the best defensible terrain in Europe and were famous for their armies long before the Germans you know!

I'd have to say they're a little undermodeled. Raise the U.S reaction and start them well entrenched.

Yes Switzerland isn't really that big of a deal, though in my opinion they should be stronger. Sweden on the other hand, NEEDS to be made stronger, giving them 2 more armies to block the coast and even a cruiser or 2 (they had a strong navy) would not be out of line.

• 2 weeks later...