patton vs.rommel

pino

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

please dont take it personaly. im calling into question your character. or you as a human being. dont take it that seriously. i just exagerate because im not the best in the world at cumminicating. i was simply saying im not the only one in the thread/board, that has not been the perfect gentleman the whole time.

@77, No problem, other than that animated outburst in the "hum" thread. ;) I would like to believe that someday our specie will take responsibility for their actions, be honest, and good for their word.

If you had taken the time to examine the realm of our SC forum, you would have observed that we discuss many things here, but most abundantly the mechanics of playing SC.

The moderators have given us a certain amount of Freedom, but along with that gift comes responsibilties to not abuse it. Now we all tread a fine line here from time to time, I am surely not without guilt, but I do endeavor to be polite to my fellow posters. Sometimes with a grain of sarcasm, but never the less I respect each and everyone of their perspectives and opinions, no, in fact I embrace and hopefully instigate the baring of their viewpoints. Whether I agree or disagree is immaterial, the essence of communication is the exchange of ideas, in hopes of the betterment of each of our souls throughout our eternal journey.

We have exchanged thoughts, I for one have improved through that dialogue, I would hope that you received some progression also. If we all follow the "Golden Rule" here, then there is no need for moderators as they detract from our Freedom to exchange information. Since you are somewhat new to our forum, I had hoped that realization would have somehow struct you by now, maybe it has, or maybe it will, it is not for me to judge, only to assist a fellow human as I have been assisted over the years of participation.

There is no animosity in my heart, I hope I did not leave you with that impression, I am sorry if I did.

Anyway....Welcome to the Forum.

Longwinded SeaMonkey OUT!!!!

fair enough. ive kinda got the whole thing now. i was simply offended at the politcal swing of the posts. simply because i normaly post in the cm threads. i have began to reply back somewhat politicaly inorder to reply hte other people.

like i said im not anti american. my mother is. i think the us made a good contribution to the war effort. i just think its just not as all encompasing as some think. nor do i think the us runs the world. that is all.

so hello and howz it goin?

anybody know who replaced turpin?

@roqf77 - yeah, camembert is a cheese smile.gif

So I thought your nickname is derived from 'roquefort' another sort of tasty euro-cheese ...

Rambo, my man, you yanks got the jets, cash, nukes and sh!t but we Euros have the CHEESE!!!

Imagine a C-Bomb xploding in a highly populated area in the US, say a camembert bomb, and every citizen puking all over the place cuz of the stench smile.gif

Now that would be a cool way to conquer America...again smile.gif

Btw, you said you americans got the jets, rockets, blah blah .... from where you got them? Who came to you with the techs back in '45? Who? Alexander Lippisch, Werner Von Braun, etc? The old nazi sci gang? I wonder if SS Grupenfuhrer Kammler made his way to the Land of the Promises as well ...

Come on, don't tell me the US has those kewl toys brought over by some Buntas!!! It can't be true ;)

now , back on topic:

some interesting words about Rommel:

'Overall, Erwin Rommel was an outstanding and an unconventional military leader with unique methods of command. Erwin Rommel is one of the few commanders, who was not involved in any war crimes. Rommel was highly respected by his enemies and was considered to be the last of the knights. During the North African Campaign, Rommel often cut the water rations of his troop, so that the prisoners of war could survive.'

Now that's a big plus not necessarily commonly associated with german high profile officers during WW2. Even the military genius Von Manstein's reputation was stained by some allegations about ordering some harsh measures against the civilians in Russia (not necessarily partisans, against which, severe measures are allowed by the Geneva convention).

And some interesting words about Patton, as well:

'In his 36-year Army career, he was an early advocate of armored warfare and commanded major units in North Africa, Sicily, and the European Theater of Operations. Although many have viewed Patton as a pure and ferocious warrior, known by the nickname "Old Blood and Guts", history has left the image of a brillant military leader whose record was also marred by insubordination and some periods of instability.'

The two of them share a lot of features: considered by many as military geniuses, admired and loved by their troops, reckless but firm, strong personalities.

As far as SC hq ratings are concerned, Rommel having 8, is ok. Patton, though, should have 8 as well. His military skills were no match to Ike's ones and Ike is given a rating of 8. Ike was an excellent manager but, really, Patton was a class above him as far as the pure military abilities are concerned. IMHO.

As far as a direct comparison between them, I stick to my old point of view. Although both being super commanders, it is too difficult to say what would Rommel have done in Patton's place or viceversa. The situations they faced were too different to draw an unbiased conclusion.

Frankly i would place my bet on Rommel, but that's just my euro-opinion, right? smile.gif

[ August 19, 2005, 12:59 AM: Message edited by: hellraiser ]

well actualy just to point out a couple of things. the nuclear bombs dropped on japan, were finished in the germany(the designs). The us only built it.

so the germany(some from the uk including james tuck) and alot of other euro's so to speak have nukes. the uk certainly does. it was actualy frank whittle who invented the jet engine so it was a uk not a us thing. and chobbam too(uk produced not frank whittle).

my name is the roqf. as in royal ordinance quick firing. 77 refering to the 77mm on the comet. its just a name of a gun. just sounds cool.

i personaly would pick rommel over patton, but to open the topic up a little, not bradley.

(and yes wicky i see your point, but 1, it was a typo and 2. the uk did have an involvement in the project).

[ August 19, 2005, 11:57 AM: Message edited by: roqf77 ]