Russian Computer Player

Gen.Metaxas

I can't wait for the full game and so I am posing a question for Hubert or any of the Game testers.

It is hard to tell from the demo because the Computer Russian player doesn't seem to get a chance to get things together.

My question is wether the Computer is able to create a solid front line in Russia?

In my demo games he seems to create alot of units to protect a specific city but does not try to create a front. For example he mite place 6 corps around a city neer my units.

As a result my tactic is to bypass the city with my tanks to cut it off and then hit the units with my armies so that it cannot effectively reenforce.

Then if the computer can releave the pocket he will spend money to transfer the units far back out of harms way, reinforce them and then transfer them to a new city near the front again.

Each time losing the city as a sole deffender is left.

The computer seems to be reactionary versus having optional stratetegies.

What I would love to see the computer do is to use the initial units to slow the Axis advance and make a decision as to were he should build a defencive front using his mmps effectively.

For example by the time I reach Moscow I should see a line of corps dug in. This never seems to happen.

On the computers defence he mite not have enough time because I always conquer the Baltic States.

Which brings up the point that the Axis should not be able to DOW on Sweden, Swiss and Baltic States (My usual plan) without Russia preparing for war.

Perhaps there could be different levels of preparedness. For example so many units and starting positions depending on how close the country is to entering the war. (for example after 50% each 10% increase adds units and or changes starting positions for the troops.

One last thing have you guys considered giving mpps on an monthly basis so winter turns (1 month) will get 4 times the mpps of summer turns (1 week). I am not sure how this will affect the game in other theaters but I think it will help the Russians initialy to create a solid front as they would be able to get the troops to the front faster then the Germans in winter months.

Thanks

Gen.Metaxas

As originally posted by Gen.Metaxas:

In my demo games he seems to create alot of units to protect a specific city but does not try to create a front. For example he mite place 6 corps around a city neer my units.

You and I -- far apart as we are, just had a similar thought, posted in separate threads, at the same time (mine was in Strategy & Tactics).

Could it be that Hubert actually managed to program that Ghost in the Machine after all? Can he do this? :eek:

And it (... MUST be inanimate, right.... right?) is able to read our minds as we play the Russian Campaign?

And it controls our synapse-firing and influences everything we do and controls.... ! :eek:

Nah... probably not.

Also will the final game be at least three player? There should be minimum of Axis, western Allies and Soviets. Only one out of the Western allies and the Soviets should be able to get a major victory with the other getting a minor victory.

This will stop too much cooperation between the two sides of the allied coin.

Originally posted by Hodgepodge:

Also will the final game be at least three player? There should be minimum of Axis, western Allies and Soviets. Only one out of the Western allies and the Soviets should be able to get a major victory with the other getting a minor victory.

This will stop too much cooperation between the two sides of the allied coin.

Yeah, I, too, had asked for this feature right from the beginning, but it seems it will not happen in this release. Apart from the cooperation aspect, having the USSR seperate would also enhance PBEM games. I even would go further and vote for the option of having Italy computer controlled, too ... this was done never before, and sure would be great fun! smile.gif

Straha

It is hard to tell from the demo because the Computer Russian player doesn't seem to get a chance to get things together.

I've made some adjustments in this area, mostly because you guys have managed to push the demo to its limits (which is a very good thing) and exposed some of the gamey strategies ;) The Soviet strategy is mostly to be on the defensive until they can muster a proper counter offensive (as you've experienced), but I have added some planning to SU defence tactics such as improved defensive positions, using rivers to their advantage etc., but decided to keep away from the front line wall for the most part. This is I feel a bit gamey and does not reflect the real situation on the eastern front which was composed of strongholds or 'hedgehogs' around key towns and cities and advancing or retreating fronts from these areas. (But by late 43 and then 44/45 this is a different story)

I think your tactic of cutting off and surrounding these areas with tanks etc., is a good one and not necessarily a weakness of SU strategy in 40/41, but the added defensive planning should make it more interesting and risky to drive deep without support and supply. ;)

Hope that helps,

Hubert

Enough cruising the boards Hubert - return to your dungeon and get back to work! You better release SC by Friday or I'm gonna go nuts. The demo always ends just as I'm about to conquer the world...this last time Italy had taken Albania, was about to take Greece, and Russia was about to fall to the Germans....

Thanks Hubert

I can't wait to see your full game version.

On and off I played Clash of steel for probably 8 years if my memory serves me right. Based on the demo and your proposed changes I think SC should hold me another 8. This is definitly my favourite scale and war.

Thanks

Gen.Metaxas