SC Christmas Tournament

SpitfireMarkX

Alright, is anybody interested in a SC Christmas tournament?, We could play the games on the 22nd, 23rd, 26th and the 27th.

It would be a great thing to see.

If no one is up to run it, I could. I would think it would be run with 16 competitors, if we could get that many.

If you would like to be part of it make a posting.

Brad

I like the 1.06 download with the modified 1939 Blitzkreg campaign. I think one on one would be better than group play, and you could seed the players by experience until the final two play the SC (no not Southern Cal., Univ. of Spoiled Children, I'm a UCLA fan) Super Tournament.

Thanks

SeaWolf

P.S. Live in So.Cal. (Orange Co.) golf all year long in shorts, best weather on earth for golf, and sport a 9 handicap.

Hello:

There is 16 spots, 12 are listed here. Everything will be picked randomly, axis or allies, who you play.

The map will be 1939, non edited. All people do not have the mod maps. If I have 16 players by tonight I will give out your opponets and sides, if not ill do it tommorow. Thanks alot.

There will be day amounts, all listed games should be done and the winners posted on the newest forum I will start today or tommorow, which will have you opponent, all games in first round should be done by the 23rd.

Thats 3 days.

If their is no chosen winner, you e-mail me a screen shots of the game and a little information (What countries been occupied, whats up in med, ect) And ill pick the winner, any dissagrements list them here

Thanks Brad

I, for one, would definitely like to participate.

Brad, I'd like to add a few suggestions and comments, if that's ok ("sure. go ahead," said Brad, maybe)

Suggestions:

1) Have a deadline submission, say Sunday, December 22nd, for example, so you could put the a roster out there on Monday or so. You will probably want our email addresses, so we can send you the earliest times we are available to start (for me, everything is hectic up until the 25th, mostly, and then quiet all the way through to the 2nd of January).

2) To get things started, match people according to their earliest available start date. That way we could start getting some after action reports early, which would enhance the excitement.

3) As you are willing to be the moderator, I would suggest that you assign the competitors to be axis or allies by the flip of a coin and then let them know. If Rambo gets lucky and is Axis, good for him. If Rambo gets unlucky and is Allied, well, after all I've taught him, probably good for him anyways.

4) See if Hubert can temporarily set up an additional zone/station/forum thingie other than the ones we talk on here for the contest. That's where we could put up the threads for the individual person vs person AAR's.

5) Suggest to Hubert, that he send out an announcement to the various sites (Military Gamer Online - which is where I found about this game, etc) about the contest and where to go to get updates. It might generate more sales out there and be supportive to the SC gaming community (as well as himself, of course).

6) Although I would anticipate it being single elimination, you could still develop the nucleous (sp) of a ladder. So I would recommend that games be played to the death/conclusion. I think the most points a winning player can get, on an even 1939 campaign (which is what I am assuming the tourmanment would be), is about 250 or so (but I am not sure, you may want to ask Hubert).

So, for the ladder, the winner gets his points, plus a W in his column, like this:

Brian the Very Wise: W 241.

The loser would get the difference, with an L in his column. for example:

Rambo: L 9

That way, in a contest of say 16 players, the eight contestants who sadly must lose (but have a great time doing so), will still have rankings.

It would also encourage them to fight on. And it could also encourage some aggressive players to take on a bit too much, in an effort to get more points

It works similarly in the second round too. For example:

Brian the Very Wise: W241, W249. Total: 500

Hubert: W 200, L1. Total: 201.

And so on.

In the long run, someone, not necessarly you (I think it's a bit of work, but if I were doing it, this is how I'd try it), you would be able to rank people on their average scores (although that doesn't prevent the wolves from picking on the newbies who try to challenge. On the other hand, if enough people started joining and playing, their would be different flights, like in tennis, etc. But that's for later).

7) Back to the tournament: Depending on how it all matches up after the first round, the winners should automatically, as best as possible, have to play the other side. But if you have two Axis winners, for example, there would again be a coin toss.

8) Make clear the standard defaults, though I think every one knows them. I guess the question is whether the undo move should be active or not.

9) Because the game will be fought out to the end, and people take longer than the opponent does, and it takes more effort for people to match up with their schedules and time zone differences, don't expect this to be concluded in December. I for example, have Christmas and New Years day off, but nothing else. Some do, some don't.

That's about all I think of for now. Hope you don't mind my sharing. Oh, wait, just one more thing, would it be funny if you said

10) Rambo can't play. He has to stand in the corner and watch all the AAR reports, because he's just too darned head cracking (just kidding).

Brian the not very Wise

I'm interested. smile.gif I don't play using TCP/IP, however (general security reasons); and also, I doubt I would be able to play a full game in a single working day.

Weekends and the 25th I should have plenty of time in early-to-mid morning, however (I work night shift, EST).

[ December 20, 2002, 05:41 AM: Message edited by: Reepicheep ]