Jim Boggs Passes Away

JerseyJohn

Copied from the General Forum courtessy of Michael Dorosh

Home » Obituaries Printer-Friendly Version

E-Mail This Article

Published Sunday, January 23, 2005

JAMES BOGGS, 51

Florida Brewery

WINTER HAVEN -- Mr. James Oliver Boggs of Winter Haven died of cancer Friday (Jan. 21, 2005). He was 51.

Born June 29, 1953, in Charleston, W.Va., Mr. Boggs came here from West Virginia in 1958. He was a comptroller for Florida Brewery for 15 years. He was a veteran of the U.S. Army.

Mr. Boggs is survived by his wife, Mary Pat Boggs; mother, Garnette Blanche Boggs, Winter Haven; son, James Robert Boggs, Tampa; daughter, Erika Rene Holloway, Winter Haven; sisters, Carol Ann Coile, Washington, D.C., Linda Jean Salley, Anaheim, Calif., Jane Ellen Love, Winter Haven; two grandchildren.

Visitation will be from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. Monday at Oak Ridge Funeral Care, Winter Haven. Services will be at 11 a.m. Tuesday at Silver Hill Cemetery, Frostproof.

===

Jimbo was a long standing member of this forum though most of his posts were on the GF.

All I can say is he was a great guy. Periodically we exchanged email for the sake of keeping in touch during lulls and I always enjoyed the wit and really enjoyable humor he managed and it was never at anyone else's expense.

In late 2002 Jim and I were banned together on the mistaken belief that we were the same person. I didn't know him at the time, he was a very new member here. He wrote me an email asking if we were twins separated at birth, if we used the same computer or lived together and hadn't noticed! :D

Fate couldn't have exiled me with a better person.

Hope you're on to something better than you've left, Jimbo. You're sorely missed by your friends here. smile.gif

I'm sorry to hear this news. Thoughts & prayers are with his family. Jimmy Boggs was a class act. Jimmy brought historical facts to the forum, humor, & an overall uplifting effect. During the 2002 Campaign, he became a made man during a mistaken double identity. Earth's loss is Heaven's gain.

This is terrible news. Rest in peace Jim.

One of the old guard from 2002 has left the building. Jim was falsly accused of beeing JerseyJohn during the christmas riot 2002 and banned. He was aqquited and remained a solid part of this board, with an extremly good sense of humor.

I think he liked our community but got a bit appauled during the christmas riot. Here's two quotes from him;

“As stated above, I am not a young kid, and my concepts of treating people with respect and courtesy apparently come across as sappy and gratuitous. I realise that times have changed and the now generation has entirely different ideas on this theme, which is beyond me to comprehend.”

Jim Boggs

“I really think this thread can be useful to Hubert and if it gets locked down for turning into a flamefest it would show tremendous disrespect for a class guy”

Jim Boggs

[ April 13, 2005, 12:04 AM: Message edited by: Kuniworth ]

A lot of his funniest posts were at the General Forum. Most of them are gone now because the files there were cleaned out last Spring.

The best one was when he first went there. He was lambasted here for saying something in an AAR that the players didn't like and he said he was going back into Lurk Mode. Next day he started a thread at the GF starting off with something like, "I don't know why this place has such a bad reputation, it seems very friendly to me" and he was adopted by them. The thread itself was pretty funny and it's a shame it no longer exists. ;)

Very sad to hear this. I too had the honour of a few pleasant exchanges with Jim and fondly remember his contributions to SC, the SC Forum and the SC community.

The idea has come up and I think it would only be fitting to honour Jim's memory by including his name in SC2 somehow. There are a few ideas and I'll definitly come up with something for the game's release.

Really sorry to hear this, Boggs was definitely a well liked member, both on here and the General Forum (which we all know is not an easy thing to accomplish). 51 is far too young to go, he will be missed.

There sure has been a lot of death these past few months, 2005 is already turning into a really ****y year. :(