French for "Oh Crap"

Yorick

I notice that France seems to have 470 some odd MPPs left. What the heck? Whomever is playing the French side should have spaent them earlier, and maybe it wouldnt be such a rout.

Duh! Should have scrolled over before spouting off. Need sleep...

[ May 28, 2002, 01:10 PM: Message edited by: R_Leete ]

Originally posted by SS_Obergruppenführer:

Any chance in hell you can actually defend France in a PBEM?

By the way, that's 47, not 470.

Someone disbanded some of the French ground units (in another thread) and built some tanks and a HQ. What if instead you disband the ENTIRE French navy (they usually do little good in defending Pax Francais aside from pounding any German units on the coast) and build some extra ground units (the above mix looks fine-off to try it and see how many points I get...). I'm not sure then if disbanding is a good design decision (I'm also not crazy about instantaneous builds either...).

John DiFool

I managed to hold France for the entire demo, but I played against the computer's willingness to use all it's air assets against my fleets. Had little navy left, but held France. smile.gif

This would have been bad news in a full game though.

Also, I thought you couldn't disband fleets...

Aloid

I played a few turns culminating in the picture above this morning. I had the bonus set to zero and the AI set to 100%. My experience was that the computer took few chances. Depleted forces were quickly reinforced. Assaults were slow and focused on destroying my armies rather than covering ground quickly. The result is that France falls late but there's little doubt of the outcome. I'll have to try some more experiments.

Yorick.

Yeah i held France for the entire demo, Yugoslavia even had a pro-allied coup near the end.

How?

Well, guess i took advantage of the AI, but the French navy shot into the med and helped the poms take out the Italian navy, about the same time the Atlantic British navy took out the German Navy, and then the invasion began!

took the forces from Cairo and Gilbratar, and the French forces from Africa and landed them in Italy, meanwhile, all the Poms left England and landed up near Danzig, and headed around trying to take MMP areas and generally avoiding contact, most of the German forces left France to take care of this, the rest tried to stay static, but with the time i built more Frence corps and squeezed through holes into Southern Germany to draw him away there, then more poms landed in Holland.

Pretty much, i was dying everywhere, my navies got smashed (i think 2 half str B-ships and a depleted carrier left up north, most of the southern navy was there, all 4's and 5's tho) but the end result was the poor Germans were running around everywhere, i didnt think to sell the French navy after it had done its job to buy more forces tho, would have paid for a tank army come to think of it, but when Yugo joined me, i was thinking when Russia joins its going to be a short war smile.gif

but but but, against a person it would be different i guess smile.gif

Without disbanding units I think keeping France whole year is a very difficult task. At least France must have a HQ unit as soon as possible. And one mistake and its all lost.

With disband and buy it is very easy to go offense early 41. First disband few french corps adn air fleet which wont ever do anything better than be a resource waste center. Then buy HQ and perhaps a tank for counterattacks. With UK i selled strat-bomber and HQ and bought Monty-HQ and then shipped it to France with air forces. I concentrated to make UK a air army and France ground army. French army doesnt need air support because AI waste its airunits to attack the northernmost fortress of Maginot.

From another post I read that H.Cater has decided to lessen the points which one gets from disbanding. Probaply this makes disband and buy tactic useless.