Should everyone conceade if....

Iron Ranger

, as Allies, they are facing the Cookie Cutter and France has fallen before/during May 1940 (greatly assisted if Poland, LC and Denmark all fall by turn 3, better yet if turn 2)? The Allied player has several minor moves he can make but in realiy the Axis will not trigger the siberian transfer, attack and plunder every minor, and the game will be determined by 2-4 turns of air battles in France during 1942 (which the allies will lose unless they have better tech or the axis makes several mistakes. Is it worth the allies time to sit and let this happen? It could be 3-8 hours before they make a significant move while the axis runs around and attacks all the minors and setup Russia for the big blow.

Conceade or continue play everyone?

[ October 20, 2003, 05:34 AM: Message edited by: Iron Ranger ]

Iron Ranger:

France has fallen before/during May 1940...Conceade or continue play everyone?
All depends on:

- Bid Level

- how much both sides lost in France

- Skill of yourself and your opponent

- The strategy Allies chose

- your motivation: is it only to win, or more to give a good fight (a game in the defensive can also be a lot of fun, even if you have not much chances to win any more. And if you win despite a bad position this can make you feel really happy smile.gif ).

Assuming you didnt loose too much UK forces in France (especially not your carriers or airfleets), you can still win the game even with a low bid. But you probably have to change your strategy if you have planned for a long France war. Adopting your strategy to a new situation is always the key to victory in SC and in a real war.

Mainly you have to choose between a tech based strategy and a battle based strategy (to delay the conquest of the minors and to weaken Axis before Barbarossa). This depends on your ressources and your opponent (skill+strategy).

Conclusion:

- if your main goal is to win, your opponent is skilled, you lost a lot in France and play with a low bid: then concede

- if your main goal is to have a good fight, you still have ressources or play with a good bid: then continue

If you think you will loose, but choose the second option, you can consider to try the battle strategy: a lot of action during the whole game (attack the Norway invasion fleet, the Vichy invasion fleet, defend Spain and so on...) and even if you loose its a lot of fun.

BTW:

In my games as Axis, France falls usually at April 28, 1940. With bad luck or a strong defence it can take some turns longer, but in most games it is April 28 (+-1/2 turns). Therefore "before/during May 1940" is not so early anyway, its just average.

[ October 20, 2003, 06:31 AM: Message edited by: Terif ]

I agree with Terif's take on whether to continue after getting headcracked. My common mistake is to hold France until August '40, but at the cost of the UK long term strategy: trashed RAF & damaged out of position Navy.

Playing the Allies properly requires 20 hours of your life. That's why when I'm the UK, prefer to take my chances in France. Or might as well do the Spanish Gambit to have some fun. It's just boring to play the Allies. What's funny, all my recent games the bid is going thru the roof, all my opponents know I prefer to play Axis. Don't bid too high, or I will stick you with the 350 bid smile.gif

Rambo >>>>> 2nd to None

Hey Terif and Rambo, clue me in, why would my higher strength, greater readiness, in range higher level US jets not intercept over my UK planes when a UK BB and Strategic bomber were attacked by German air? I've got my Italian jets intercepting in lieu of my German planes in an identical situation, except the attacked forces are German ground units. I'm at a loss and have not had time to set up a model.

Hi SeaMonkey,

The airfleet or carrier with the highest readiness intercepts. Tech, experience or distance doesnt matter as long as they are in range. And for readiness counts: unit strength, distance to next supply source and quality+experience of the supporting Hq .

Your UK airfleets must have had a higher readiness than your USA ones. Perhaps your US air had a higher strength (1 point), but your UK air had the better/more experienced HQ (every experience bar increases the rating by 1, the equivalent of one strength point of the supported unit) or was not so far away from supply, than the US air was. E.g. its enough if you place your UK air in a city while the US air is one hex away...

[ October 20, 2003, 12:30 PM: Message edited by: Terif ]

Thanks Terif,

I guess it was the readiness (I'll look at the last save) as an experienced Monty was supporting and one of the AFs was in a city hex. Eisenhower was there to, but had no experience. The UK AFs(lvl0) were at strength 6 and 7 while both US AFs were at 12, one had just been operated in the previous turn and I'm assuming that the German jets lvl 3 just got an increase in LR, caught me with my pants down in additioned to being "short-teched". I guess I still got a lot to learn, I always thought it was highest strength. Thanks again for the clarification. SC, ...gotta luv it.

Conceding is based on the skills of the players.

Has zero to do with the current game's progress.

I have witnessed games where I knew I had won, the writing was on the wall.

I have also played games where it was obvious I had lost.

I got in a game of A3R once, against a totally new gamer, someone I had only recently met. He had been playing regularly, while I had not played in about 2 years. It showed. He handed me my butt on a platter with sterling moves unlike anything my usual wargaming local friend was accustomed to using.

3 turns into the game I was obviously going to lose.

SC is about the same.

Two realively novice players are going to enjoy a certain amount of success, but it would be silly to assume they could perform the same level of gamesmanship as some of the hard core out there.

I played a game the other day of the 39 against the AI. I took out Poland turn one. I was impressed, as I had never done it before. Wasn't from any super duper perfect moves though, I just got lucky in my choices.

I have played several PBEM games where the battles have been long and furious and then my opponent concedes after I destroyed a few key units or delayed the fall of France at great cost, when in actuality I thought I was losing, but he didn't know my of my dire straits thanks to FOW.

Edwin:

Yes, not too seldomly I made the same experience.

Several times as UK in 1942 I had sold everything and every chit to make a landing in France and to finance the heavy airbattles. Often my opponent conceded, when he only had to attack my units a last time and my card house would have crashed, since my forces were so weak in reality...Similar things happened as Axis in Russia...

But thats also part of SC: Just when you think you have lost, your opponent gives up :D