Sticky Topic for PBEM

Oak

Excuse me for entering in a lame statement about something I know little about (reloads), other than the obvious, but "Aren't both sides elligible to reload as often as they want"? Ultimately if both sides exhaust the possiblities of reload doesn't that make it even? This is just a game, its about fun and human interaction, don't make it something its not (a marathon). The reloader (who's got the time) is the real loser.......in life.

Well said SeaMonkey and a great point. I can see that even through my insomnia induced delerium.

Not playing competitively I've honestly never given a thought to whether or not my opponents do it. Let's put it this way, if any of them came out and said "my move was so terribel I had to do it over," I wouldn't come down on them. Actually, I'd prefer the better move and I'm sure most other people would.

On the other hand, that sort of thing isn't acceptable for people who want a competitive game. Bringing us back full circle, those seeking competition and those seeking recreation have an equal right to play and need separate organizations with separate rules.

I don't like reloading, it makes it much more difficult to ambush an enemy and subs loose their biggest ally, the ability not to be easily found. But, there are times when you do have to reload. The last time I did was the power outage. I was in the middle of a turn. Anyway, currently, people set "special" rules into most of the games (bidding, unit limits, etc)so another rule could be to allow, or not to allow reloading. If you feel a person is not following the rules that were agreed upon, then don't play them again. It should also be understood that unless otherwise specified, reloading is not allowed. Unless, of coarse, there is a valid excuse (pc problems, power outages, computer unplugged by the wife :rolleyes: , etc). I also had an opponent purches an HQ instead of an armored unit by mistake. He reloaded an explained what happened. Thats fine. An honest mistake. So its really up to the players. Again, you don't have to play anybody you don't want to. As for tournaments, the rules are usually spelled out before hand. I like leagues better than tournaments. A group of 8 or so players who you have to play every one twice or something. That way you get to play many more people with a range of styles and strategies. And your gauranteed to have a game going. smile.gif

[ August 20, 2003, 01:23 PM: Message edited by: Jordy ]

sorry it took so long to reply to this post....

as a pbem'r we march to a different time table, you know!

jollyguy said--

I love his sense of humor, and how he so easily baits others.
(REFERRING TO RAMBO)

yes he is a master BAITER! :D

but seriously, i just dont think these 2 things (tcp/pbem) were meant to co-exist, or for that matter CAN co-exist in any league. i agree with zapswedens points against pbem. i agree with rambo's points against pbem.i also agree with JJ's points on pbem. im just a happy-go-lucky agreeable person!

i also appreciate the entry by rambo into the ryder thingie.

but the worst thing is, non-pbem people are not used to waiting 2 months for a game to finish. thats a long time to wait for a ryder decision.

Some of you are looking at this the wrong way. It isn't a issue of TCP vs PBEM. Those are just the means of conducting the game. A person who wants to play competively against someone else can do so thru TCP, PBEM or even HOTSEAT (if they lived close enough).

The problem is the speed of the game. Complaints about PBEM games taking 30 days to finish are just as silly as TCP games where your opponent never seems to have time to finish the game. I think everyone who has played TCP has a game that they can never get the opponent to finish.

Its very easy to switch back and forth between TCP and PBEM. If a mutual time can be arranged, play TCP. Then go back to PBEM until you can get together again. Two to four turns a day thru PBEM are better than waiting a week or two until your TCP opponent can get some free time.

The competitive TCP/PBEM players can coexist and any reference to "second class" status for either is in poor taste.

The key to being a competitive player is to limit the concurrent games so you do have the time to finish them before starting another.

And TCP isn't "foolproof" against cheaters. The easiest way is for you to be playing against someone who isn't really the person you think they are. It has happened. There are other ways to cheat in TCP, assuming you have the technical skill.

But is it really worth trying to fool proof it or eliminate the cheaters? I guess it depends on the importance you place on winning. If your ego and self-esteem are so wrapped up in winning a SC game, then nothing on this Forum will provide you with the help you need. And since there isn't money at stake, cheating will never be solved.

As an example, look at Terif. Does it really matter how many times he losses? I don't believe anyone here can claim to be a better player, no matter how many times you beat him. He is not in the same class as any of us when it comes to playing SC.

As originally posted by Shaka of Carthage:

As an example, look at Terif. Does it really matter how many times he losses? I don't believe anyone here can claim to be a better player, no matter how many times you beat him. He is not in the same class as any of us when it comes to playing SC.

Interesting comment, worthy of some additional elaboration.

An excellence (... "arete" to the ancient Greeks) has been attained. If not to achieve, and receive the laurel leaves, yourself, then to appreciate as a (... could be ) common human accomplishment. :cool:

We can admire, and attempt to emulate... Mozart, Rodin, Cezanne, Yeats or Keats, Frank Sinatra, or Roman Polanski (... cinema artists must rely on collaborative efforts... very few, if any, can control ALL the technology, such as editing or lighting the stage, EVEN IF they have the requisite... "driven Vision"),

But, there just aren't many who would CHOOSE to accept the bedviling demons or rough-neck angels that are an intricate part of the inspiration-creation process, such as:

Assorted mental afflictions, like obsessive-compulsive behaviors, mild schizophrenia (so that Clang Language is finally edited and organized), bipolar depression, inclination toward addictions (ie, determined RISK taking) and anti-social disorders, which cause no end of trouble... both for the shocked society and for the one... outside the Realm.

***We could ask Terif if he has any apparent demons/angels riding alongside his valiant SC stallion, but, I doubt that he would tell us about them... even if he knew who or what they were.

Therefore, it's true... humans INNATELY adore the "great Spirit" and will go to quite extensive lengths to... move as close as they possibly can, physically or mentally or by way of the "soul"... and finally, in exaltation... TOUCH that tremendous Magnificence... whether it be a mortal grace, or... of another world.

***Sad odd note: "Celebrities" have largely replaced better and more worthy models, in this... The Faux Golden Age. Too bad, since none of them seem to know very much about mystic and immensely powerful and meaningful things. :eek:

So.

Terif is, at the moment, the ALMOST untouchable example of... excellence.

Every group or clique or clan... REQUIRES... at least one, though, it could be several.

Well, it's not for me to say... who (or what) this might be, as each Culture has their own mythic preference.

I would say... as a born American... it is the... god or God who... created... The Wilderness.

We seem to NEED... at a miminum, the idea that there is never any end to... courageous exploration. Alas, this occasionally takes the (mis)shape of... ill-advised "foreign" adventuring.

But, otherwise, Lucky! for us there is (... diminishing?) separation of Church and State.

Terif is where he is and largely esteemed because... it's a natural need we have for... excellence, in deed. smile.gif

but there cant be that many that live "down at the end of lonely street", can there?

Ah, likely true... more than a few... more than... one or two. ;)

The trouble comes when you have to

Check into... Heartbreak Hotel...

Or, arrive there by way of... Thunder Road...

Where the hogs & hot-rods & super-modifieds

Make of... easy-living, a modified hell.

But, best to avoid Blind Alley...

If it is possible, and yet... part of the fun

Is seeing if you can... find your way

Back to the... House of the Rising Sun!

And, Strawberry Lane can explain

Some of the mystery... of the passing quite strange.

Now, I'd like to say, I'm on... Easy Street,

But that would be a lie,

So, let's just say... my last refuge, my

House on Haunted Hill...

Keeps... the thrill... alive! :eek: