Is It Possible.....

Arngrim

Is it possible to check the starting values of a pbem game in the editor?

I recently recieved a new pbem game, and found... strange stuff as I was playing through my turn.

So I wonder if i can open a pbem file with the editor and check the starting values?

Or anywhere?

Welcome to the world of PBEM & distrust. (divorce rate is 50% in the USA by the way)

It has already been brought up (Zappsweden & I requested new features in SC-2): pre-Game checks (open FOW before game starts), timers, replays, spectator mode, etc. Nobody really cared or supported the request. People are more concerned about some stupid General's ranking be changed in SC-2 from 6 to 7.

Who knows? You'll get the same answers from people,"Gee, don't play people you don't trust". That's great, as your ships hidden get sunk, air intercepts are prefected, & ground attacks come out perfect.

Originally posted by jon_j_rambo:

It has already been brought up (Zappsweden & I requested new features in SC-2): pre-Game checks (open FOW before game starts), timers, replays, spectator mode, etc. Nobody really cared or supported the request. People are more concerned about some stupid General's ranking be changed in SC-2 from 6 to 7.

Hey wait a minute. Don't jump on my commander-discussions. They were damn good until some GF tugs entered and all went to hell. Besides I supported your idea, mr Rambo.

Originally posted by jon_j_rambo:

Kuniworth --- Yes, having more accurate General rankings is a good thing, I too, want Patton's shoe size to be correct.

What da freakin fritz is the matter with you? I think you only complain because we discuss unknown soviet commanders. Lets see how happy you will be with wrong american ratings in sc 2. You seriously mean I Should leave it to the tugs and let them give Patton a 3??

Well make it easy, inform your PBEM partner beforehand that you would like to ask him at the end of the game for his password at that you intent to save various moves from the game to check afterwards for strange things.

If you tell him beforehand he will be able to choose a password for only this game and have no complaints afterwards sending it to you.

Rambo if we play sometimes online I will offer you alwys this possibilty.

Originally posted by arax3:

Rambo: Calm down. Soft words avoid wrath. IF you have a point other then "I got of be too early" please make it. A3

Yes listen to the man. Im crying over here.

[ June 04, 2004, 12:57 PM: Message edited by: Kuniworth ]

Originally posted by Kuniworth:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by arax3:

Rambo: Calm down. Soft words avoid wrath. IF you have a point other then "I got of be too early" please make it. A3

Yes listen to the man. Im crying over here. </font>

1. Lets make one thing nice and crystal clear: I have _not_ accused anyone of cheating, merely of making a mistake.

2. Rambo, I _love_ your colourful language, but when you (sooner or later) smack me I shall be royally pissed, proud as a Swede I am :D

Kuni, keep up the factbased and insightful comments in the SC2 forum, I seldom post there, but I _do_ appreciate your knowledge, and so will all future and coming players of said game.

Actually, if You're ever in Stockholm, look me up and I'll buy you a beer.

Bottom line: Mistakes are made, and I wanted to know if I can check if the scenario matches the bids. According to the answers, I guess not. And Wo/man that I'm playing: I sincerely believe that you just started the wrong scenario, proof is that the discrepancy that I noted benefitted me, and not you.

Arngrim, signining off the Viking way *Gulp*

I have personally played Kuniworth, Terif and ZappSweden and can say honestly I don't believe any of these men have cheated.

There are plenty of exploits. I think that there is a dicehack and of course Rambo announced publicly how Sniff Fog of War out... PBEM is very much honor system from what I understand anyways, and you should stay with the dedicated Crew on-line.

People like Comrade Trapp, Jersey John, Curry, etc... Most of the PBEM League guys I've known are very very honest fellows... There are some questionable folk, but I merely look for 'how long a man has played' and ask the above fellows who they like to play, so get a player list of say 5-10 guys. YaggaMouth very nice curtsies... Most men on the IP Leage seemed honest.

I personally think the amount effort that goes into Sniffing stuff is redicilious. If you need that to win, you really deserve it ;) People who want to win soooooooooo bad, they can have every last game. Can't track em all. I've played people I believe to be cheaters ;) Even Hombre Plin, and I beat them... So that is fun to pay them back with soooooo much more skill, that no advantage can possibly help them is fun

Arngrim, since I just started a PBEM game with you I need to check, is it my file you are concerned about? If so I can supply password and we can restart. The file I sent you is edited so that Allies have lots of MPPs, this to provide some play balance as I am more experienced with the game than you. Other than MPPs nothing else is modified.

FF

• 3 weeks later...

Even Rambo if you consider this topic more or less closed I believe in keeping alive a litte while SC2 is still in development. Nothing destroys an online game faster than the suspicion that the other guy is cheating.

Though your ideas to have the ability to check the game values before the game starts. I like it very much.

Even with the "simple" game SC is, some moves of an experienced player seems like magic to newbies. At least I couldn´t believe my eyes in my last game against TErif ;) .

My point is anything to build up the trust is welcome for SC2.

Sombra wrote:

Even with the "simple" game SC is, some moves of an experienced player seems like magic to newbies. At least I couldn´t believe my eyes in my last game against TErif

_____

Know you know how I felt on Saturday ;)

btw: Thanks again for this lesson, greetings to H !