Try #2 - What to do with Ireland in SC?

japinard

Don't disband the Ireland Corps until you've dealt with the other Theatres. You don't get enough to make it worth it and if I'm a German player running Sealion I'll strangle every last drop even if it means landing an Italian into Ireland

As the British Player, if you disband the Irish Corps, I'll dedicate 1 Off Italian/German corps to clean up Ireland! Also I'll dispatch a corps to Canada near the ending of the Campaign to take out the rest of British Foreign MPP in the Atlantic. If nothing else you can use the Irish corps for Recon on the coast

As we've said many, many times, this is that off area where the game spins out and becomes historically ridiculous.

Can anyone honestly picture any of this happening in the actual war?

Ireland's true rold?

Newly independant Southern Ireland still openly hated Britain. National status was granted, in part, as a result of massive pressure not only from the British public but also from the United States. Now suddenly it's target practice. Absolutely absurd.

As a nation it was uncooperative with Britain from the start and the ocean area in it's sector was a blindspot the first couple of years of the war, a U-boat haven. Eyewitnesses I've known, several of them, used to tell me that at night spotlights would shine from the Irish coast to the Western British coast helping German bombers to locate targets. On the flip side many thousands of youn Irishmen from the south joined the British Army and fought in the Mediteranean.

Irish President DeValera is sometimes referred to as having had fascist sympathies but I don't know much about his specific policies.

What I do know is if the UK had attacked Ireland it would have been a cold day in hell before they received any United States aid of any kind.

I do disband the Corps that conquered Ireland, but not until the following two conditions have been met:

1) Dublin has reached 80% efficiency. This means that your Corps which is in Dublin will be at it's maximum possible supply, giving you the maximum number of MPPs when you disband it.

2) The chance of Sea Lion has passed, and there is at least one air unit on the mainland of Britain close enough to observe any Axis transports that might be sent to Ireland, with some ships available to destroy any transports should they appear.

This might mean that you can't disband the Corps until 1941 or later.

Excellent point Jersey John,

If the UK did invade Dublin and then withdrew (in SC terms Disbanded) their forces it would be realisitc to think that the Irish would revolt.

This would best be indicated not with a partisan unit appearing but with a simple change of control for all Irish hexes including the city hex.

When this change should occur based on how long the British forces had been withdrawn from the Island - ie Turn 1(1%), Turn 2 (2%), Turn 3 (3%), etc.

I would also like to see the game reflect the actions of pro-axis, pro-allied sympathizers in neutral countries.

For example, if a British fleet is off the Irish shore their should be a chance for it to be spotted by the Axis - reflecting a news report in the press or radio.

Yes, a very good idea -- and similarly at the Gibraltar Straights and for the Allies the region around Copenhagen, except there should be some Kiel Canal function to side-step the effect. Historically this came up when the Bismarck and Prinz Eugen went to sea in May 1941.

Jersey, you are so right on if the UK invaded Ireland no help would have ever gone to the UK. FDR was already hard pressed doing what he could do for Churchhill and the UK against all those isolationists. With the very large Irish American sympathies in the US if the UK ever invaded the UK I dont see any help going to the UK. Of course Churchill knew all this and the UK would never have invaded Ireland for this reason plus several other significant reasons.

Thanks Curry, Glad you agree.

CoS made Ireland a nonentity, no city, no nothing, at first that puzzled me but now I understand.

Someone posted an interesting link to all this a little less than a year ago. I tried searching for it earlier but had too many distractions, a little too run down now, but I'm still hoping to find it.

Liam,

But he'd have been proud of her, aside from all the interesting things she took part in, her final moment came at the Bikini Atol where she survived both the above and below surface nuclear tests and had to be sunk by naval guns!

< left click for Prinz Eugen wreck site with great photos and story >

[ January 31, 2004, 09:01 PM: Message edited by: JerseyJohn ]

Glad you like it xwormwood, and you're a man of my own heart, those divers are nuts, I don't care how many decades have passed, those waters will be unsafe for many more decades to come.

No one knows the %, but most of the crews of the observations ships eventually died of cancer.

They anchored in radio active water and pumped it in to the filtering units, using it for showering, cooking and drinking, but the U. S. Navy claims no responsibility.

An uncle of mine, now deceased, used to go traipsing through radioactive dust at Las Vegas in the early fifties as part of a U. S. Army tactical nuclear research program. He eventually died of cancer after being sickly his entire post army life. But the government had no responsibility at all.

Incredible, but true. As we all know, the government never hurt anyone with agent orange and other so called defoliants. They were all harmless to human beings. :rolleyes:

I stand corrected on the ship's being finally sunk by naval gunfire after surviving those two blasts, but it was very nearly the situation! ;)

[ January 31, 2004, 11:21 PM: Message edited by: JerseyJohn ]

• 3 weeks later...

hmmm

well

ireland in the game doesnt have too much use

but

if playing as the axis, invade it with a small force, and use it as a fighter and bomber base

if playing as allies, and having trouble with uboats, invade, and use it as a fighter and bomber base, to spot, and sink uboats. wen used in conjunction with long range aircraft research, ireland can b very useful :D