New Unit Symbols Mod for Beta Demo

Sgt Eagle

I just added CM's file to my site as well. I also posted Camice Nere's preview Mod of the British Fighters. They look great!

Also available on the site is a simple flag mod that replaces the current German flag with the historical version. Take a look:

flag_spritesp.gif

[ June 17, 2002, 02:26 AM: Message edited by: Otto ]

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, all you Gotha 229 fans can check out Otto's excellent website. I am certain that he will have my "preview" mod of the Luftwaffe fighters posted shortly!

An open question for anyone who knows. I seem to remember reading somewhere that there was to be a strategic bomber version of the Horten "flying wing" design. Am I right on that? If so, we can hazard a very good guess as to what my top level German jet BOMBER will be!

Hell, I'll probably just do it anyway. The strategic jet bomber as a concept must ever be speculative within the scope of a WWII game!

Is anyone doing a unit mod with symbology like the British Army units pictured here?

new_units.jpg

I whipped that up real fast, and don't want to rain on anyone's parade if they are doing it too... (that's a draft... it needs work...)

BTW, is an army three X's and a corps four? Can't remember, and my old board games a buried in the garage...

Aloid

Originally posted by Camicie Nere:

Aloid,

Yes, Sgt. Eagle - the starter of this topic - has an excellent mod which utilizes the actual WWII era military symbols. It is very impressive and well-done. It was he that inspired me and led me to create my own "artistic" mods.

Oh, there it is! I thought I'd downloaded it, but I must have stepped on it by accident.

Yes, it is well done!

Thanks to Sgt. Eagle and to you Camicie...

Aloid

I am certain that he will have my "preview" mod of the Luftwaffe fighters posted shortly!

An open question for anyone who knows. I seem to remember reading somewhere that there was to be a strategic bomber version of the Horten "flying wing" design. Am I right on that? If so, we can hazard a very good guess as to what my top level German jet BOMBER will be!

Oh stop posting previews and get the thing released! <ahttp://community.battlefront.com/uploads/emoticons/default_biggrin.png' alt=':D'> What are you using for your Higher level prop bomber, if you don't have one, this could be an interesting one. This is an interesting jet bomber design proposal from FW. But I believe this is the design you were thinking of.

BTW, all of these came from this site. Pretty interesting things on there. I personally like the forward swept wing Focke-Wulf.

[ June 17, 2002, 04:31 AM: Message edited by: Wolfpack ]

Here´s about Horton´s "Amerika Bomber":

http://visi.net/~djohnson/horten/ho18a.html

http://users.visi.net/~djohnson/horten/ho18b.html

Here are some "model" drawings:

http://visi.net/~djohnson/mmart/ho18bmm.html

Does this thing remind you guys of a modern B2, too?

Straha

Edit: oops, when I was typing my post, Wolfpack´s was not there yet. smile.gif

Btw, here are nice "artist" renderings of all these aircrafts:

http://visi.net/~djohnson/luftart.html

The site is really cool! :cool:

[ June 17, 2002, 04:41 AM: Message edited by: Straha ]

You guys are awesome! In my SC world, it will officially be possible to break out the "Amerikabomber." And in fact, I believe I will use that Meserschmitt proposal for the top-level prop bomber. As we all know, the Germans really neglected this area of aircraft development. I was going to use the He-177, but that was pretty much a piece of crap due to the fact that some nimrod insisted it have dive-bombing capability.

Ah, the previews are easy to do. It is the completion of every nation's TWELVE aircraft types that is a tad time-consuming. I am making good progress, though, and hope to have the whole thing done by the weekend!

Otto, thanks for providing a site for sharing all this stuff. FWIW, I'm going with the updated unit sprites without the dots and the updated flags with the historic Nazi flag. Battlefront can't sell the game in Germany with any Nazi symbols, but the rest of us with 1st Amendment rights can darn well do what we want.

I note some of the other sprites are getting very detailed. Too detailed for my taste. Eye candy.

Anyone working on terrain mods? I can just about live with everything except the rivers. What's up with them - are they in the hex or on hexsides? They meander all over the place. I don't want straight lines, but a little better definition would be nice. I'd really like to see more rivers added to the map - in Poland, France, Spain, etc. - but Hubert would have to add them since we can't edit anything yet. They were kinda significant in the actual war, if you care about that stuff. ;)

Thanks for the comments Bill and BB.

There are now three new unit mods with another on the way, and two options for flag icons. All this and the game hasn't even been released yet! I can't wait to start posting some custom campaigns.

... I also am a stickler for detail, ...

the Brit navy units having tiny RN ensigns in the corner and the like.

AND, ... the FRENCH infantry icons are depicted waving little white flags!

Reminds me of a friend of mine who painted collar and shoulder insignia on his 1:76 plastic soldiers...

Cheers

Olle

Again, this is great work guys!

I think I'll have to combine a few of these into a hybrid, to suit my tastes.

Perhaps Jorgen's ground and HQ, with Camicie's Air units...

Hubert, can we have a built in unit_sprite.bmp swapper?

(edit - on second thought, can we just have the game? ;) )

Aloid

[ June 18, 2002, 04:00 PM: Message edited by: Aloid ]

I seem not to be able to connect to Jorgen's file. :( Hmm, and it seems I have to clear my cache because I just looked but did not see it at Otto's site, too ... will try again. smile.gif

Straha

Edit: clearing the cache worked. smile.gif

[ June 18, 2002, 04:23 PM: Message edited by: Straha ]