Scandanavian Surprise...A Strategic Command AAR (Pics Included)

SuperTed

Super Ted,

Great AAR; very entertaining.

So far all the attacks have been frontal assaults with overwhelming force. WW2 if anything was known for blitzkrieg=tank=encirclement and destruction of vast armies, with maneuver and combined arms with many times smaller, albeit concentrated, forces being emphasized (well, in the german's case anyway). Drive on Warsaw, Dunkirk, Minsk, Oman, Smolensk, Kiev, Vyazama, Belgorod, Stalingrad, North Africa (both sides), Soviet 44 advance. Shame about Falaise.

I would love to see how encirclement, cutting off supply to gain advantage is implemented in SC!

smile.gif

Cheers,

Roman

Originally posted by roman uk:

Super Ted,

Great AAR; very entertaining.

So far all the attacks have been frontal assaults with overwhelming force. WW2 if anything was known for blitzkrieg=tank=encirclement and destruction of vast armies, with maneuver and combined arms with many times smaller, albeit concentrated, forces being emphasized (well, in the german's case anyway). Drive on Warsaw, Dunkirk, Minsk, Oman, Smolensk, Kiev, Vyazama, Belgorod, Stalingrad, North Africa (both sides), Soviet 44 advance. Shame about Falaise.

I would love to see how encirclement, cutting off supply to gain advantage is implemented in SC!

smile.gif

Cheers,

Roman

Roman,

It is tough to recreate manuever warfare at the strategic level. The only exception to this would be in the Soviet Union, where the vast spaces lend themselves very nicely to that approach. The operational level is where you can really appreciate the effects of the blitzkrieg. For my money, The Operational Art of War does a great job with that.