Research

Briggs

Hey Scott...since you come here I have to ask...has the CG forums been scrapped?....my CG bookmark takes me to a new setup w/o the forums....sorry to digress off the topic everyone..
The CG Online site has been turned into just a blurb for the next issue (at least for now). The old CDMAG site (where the forums were still located) is still up, but will probably go down soon. We're trying to see if we can get the data files to move them to anothe WebX site. For more info, follow: http://www.cdmag.com/cgi-bin/WebX

Go to the "Open" section, and check out the thread that will default at the top of the list.

As for research I too don't necessarily feel that an investment *must* result in an ever-increasing chance of results each turn--that was only a suggestion, and, depending on how the dice rolls may be weighted, may be a bad idea. I guess we'll just need to see how it plays out over a series of games. Hmm... Perhas someone could run a model, over and over, on the probabilities of increasing a point in a particular area. To do this, though, we'd need some idea on whether or not any one particular avenue of research is weighted or not (the manual doesn't mention one way or the other).

To do this, though, we'd need some idea on whether or not any one particular avenue of research is weighted or not (the manual doesn't mention one way or the other).
There is no special weighting for the different avenues of research, %'s work the same for all categories and for each country.

Hubert

I had one game where I had two points in Industrial Tech (from fall of the Low Countries). After receiving Industrial Tech 1 and the fall of France, I put a point into AT Defense, Heavy Tank, Long Range Air and shifted one out of Tech and into Jet Fighter.

The next turn I got all five advances.

Barbarossa was a blast.

Oh, to be so lucky again.

As originally posted by Hubert Cater:

This is a bug with the random number generator that recieved a seed of '0' on rare occasions, sorry to say that it has been fixed ;)

And here I thought those cold-shouldered Stars had finally... finally, begun to turn my way.

But no, just another glacial gaze, eyes full of mis-seeded zeroes... :(

This is a bug
And some people think I'm nuts. Just to satisfy my delusions of adequacy, could I get one of those secret beta boy decoder rings, one with a whistle thingy on it and everything? LOL! ;)

Seriously, only too happy to help.

I haven't had much experience with getting many tech advances in one turn, but I have experienced getting tech advances repeatedly in consecutive turns.

A couple of examples are: One game I had 7 points invested in research: 3 in Heavy Tanks, 2 in AT Guns, and 2 in Industrial Tech. Industrial Tech advanced 4 levels in 4 turns (0.0001 chance), there were no advances in Heavy Tanks or AT Guns during that time. Also, in the last game I played, there was only 1 point in both Industrial Tech and Advanced Subs, Industrial Tech advanced 2 in 2 turns (0.025 chance).

Is this due to the same bug that results in many advances during the same turn? I've also noticed that this happens to Industrial Tech much more often than the others, has anyone else noticed the same?

Dang, now I'll never get that lucky again.
Sure you will, just not as often. We should all start to see a normal distribution of research advances once a patch is released. Luck being what it is, we'll see our fair share of good games and bad, as well as the occassional terrific and terrible. With the bug identified and fixed, it's all up to Lady Luck from now on.

Originally posted by Hubert Cater:

This is a bug with the random number generator that recieved a seed of '0' on rare occasions, sorry to say that it has been fixed ;)

Hubert

I just pre-ordered the Game and really look forward to it.

Will this need a patch, if so when will we expect it ?

Thanks

As originally posted by Ancient One:

One game I had 7 points invested in research: 3 in Heavy Tanks, 2 in AT Guns, and 2 in Industrial Tech. Industrial Tech advanced 4 levels in 4 turns (0.0001 chance)

If your calculations are correct, and given that Hubert has stated that this is NOT due to the nefarious Seed Bug, then you will have to play -- what? 10,000 more games for this same kind of fortunate Industrial Tech advance! ;)

Same goes for me with a couple of my "lucky" developments, which were not due to our little friend the Seed Bug. Well, that's the way it goes, eh? Just have to play many, many, many games. smile.gif