USA's Early Strategy

Desert Dave

While we wait for that blue-skied, bird-singing August the 5th mailing day...

America will enter on or about the usual Dec '41 date, unless the Axis have been too energetic, so what would you do?

What to buy? What research to conduct, if any? Where to attack first?

Stalin wanted an invasion of France in 1943 -- is this better than securing the Med, and forcing Italy out of the war early?

Of course this would depend on U-boat activity or how far the Axis has gotten in Russia, but in general -- what is USA's Grand Strategy for 1942 and '43?

Dealing with expected U-boat activity should be the first order of business, at least to ensure the troop transport routes to Britain are fairly clear. One guy already talked about declaring war on the US and sitting offshore with wolfpacks at the ready. In 3R, US deployment happened magically. In SC, we need a sea transport strategy to make it happen. So the Battle for the Atlantic and research should be the main US goals for 1942. Unlike 3R, there's no compelling reason (is there?) for US troops to go to Britain unless Sealion threatens or is under way. Transports could head directly to France or Spain whenever the US is ready. Lots of new options to play with here. Drool, drool.

You just had to tease us with this, knowing the delivery date is still a couple weeks off! tongue.gif

Assuming no battle for the Atlantic, I will build an HQ and airplanes for USA to support an early invasion of Europe with the Brits. I don't think the Germans can win the battle for the Atlantic in the early years. If they try, I am more than happy to fight an expensive war in the Atlantic instead of a risky invasion. Late war tech 5 industrial with tech 5 subs is another discussion. I don't feel that early war tech investmensts are wise for any of the allies. Maybe that's why Hubert gave USA 1 and Russia 2 research points to start with.

Gorski

Sort of off-topic, but has anyone seen the US enter the war within the demo? When playing as the Allies, I always hope that the US and USSR will enter before the Axis gain too much ground, but the closest I've seen is "USSR prepares for war" on the last turn. Never had a chance to try anything with the soviets.

Originally posted by R_Leete:

Sort of off-topic, but has anyone seen the US enter the war within the demo?

Yes, the US enters routinely if the UK is invaded, usually their troops are unable to get ashore before you can finish off the brits and they turn back.

One as the US could also invest heavily in Tech in Air power and somewhat lesser in Naval and pulverise any Axis coastal units and bombard ports etc.

If the germans were fighting in the east it would be a real drain on them to continually replenish thier Airpower in the west and would also force them to invest in Tech in that area to compete.All that while fighting the reds will surely takes its toll.Even when the opportunity presents itself some small scale landings to keep an Axis player on his toes and force him to commit garrisons. Eventally leading up to a full on invasion in conjuction with the Brits would be the end result.

But with the US i think patience is the Key here and chip away at the axis taking out far flung areas such as norway etc

I think it would be imperative to neutralize the U-boats first. Unlike in real life, they are a potentially deadly menace to your atlantic troop transports. (No 30-knot passenger liners in SC? BAD Hubert! BAD! BAD! BAD! ;) )

With a handle on that, I'd say a little op into Norway would be a good first move. The USN and RN can command the seas and prevent the Germans from reinforcing effectively. Norway is fairly easy once you can dislodge the corps from Bergen (which in and of itself fairly tough, so use a carrier and HQ-supported Brit air from Scotland to help.)

Holding Norway gives the US a much needed MPP boost each turn. Plus, since the US and USSR are already in, there is no practical penalty for breaking out a declaration of war and moving over to "protect" all those resources in Sweden. MORE MPPs!

Aside from jacking the US above the paltry 180 MPP per turn level, I think a nice thing about this northern strategy is that the Germans do not have the option of "operating" in reinforcements. Also, you are in a position to seriously menace the German heartland with an invasion at just about a moment's notice.

DAMNIT! Can't it be about the 8th of August already!?!?!?!

Obviously my England tactics are inadequate, 'cos I sometimes have to boot an American army out of Manchester to get England!! smile.gif

A couple people plan some intervention Ops into Norway, and I wonder if it wouldn't be better to just take Portugal and Spain?

There are more MPPs than Norway and you would have a direct threat (no waters to cross) to southern France, though that would be a difficult one-hex maneuver. I'm not so sure a competent player wouldn't be able to stop you cold in those several-hex mountains just beyond Bergen anyway.

In general, I would research Sonar and Long Range Air first. I would buy an air fleet to protect the ports from U-boats nosing in too close, and I would probably stick to the historical invasion of the Med.

Why? Because getting Italy out of the war would immediately remove 120+ MPPs from the Axis, and make the Germans have to defend against possible invasions into Greece, Balkans, and southern France, along with having to hold the line in northern Italy.

To allow the Axis free reign in the Med is a recipe for disaster, I am thinking -- it would be terrible for the Allies and their trans-Atlantic plans if Italy could build up to greater MPP levels and eventually take Gibralter, and then sortie their fleet into North Atlantic. :eek:

USA would be fun and challenging to play because there are so many Offensive possibilities! :cool:

Originally posted by Sol Invictus:

Ahh, capturing Gibraltar and getting the Italian navy into the Atlantic; it is a dream I have.

Invade England, if you do well Spain will join you, giving you a land path (and a few units) to attack Gib.

If you defeat England you get Gib anyway.

If you defeat England you get Gib anyway.

I wonder if Hubert has considered a British Commonwealth option, like Free French, where Canada (Oh Canada!) remains in play and retains control of the Med possessions after Britain surrenders. The US is likely to be in the game by this point unless the historic option is selected, so maybe control of the Canadians and Med could pass to the US. I can see everything being given up as terms of surrender, but a what-if option for continued Commonwealth resistance would be a nice feature.

I have never seen Spain join without Sealion, but maybe this also has to do with the limited scope of the demo. I suspect that Franco is a real cautious guy. smile.gif Hmm, I think it would be sensible for him to join after a successful Barbarossa, too.

Straha