SC2 proposals: Pre-game viewing, Online Spectators and recorded games.

zappsweden

1) In SC2, make a pre-game phase i.e when game starts both players can examine map (without fow) like the scenario editor (except no changes can be done). This makes cheating impossible since both players view tech, units, experience.

2) In SC2, make an option to connect to someones game just for watching it.

3) In SC2, please include some kind of replay option so that the whole war can be replayed and viewed by other players too.

[ September 28, 2003, 01:23 PM: Message edited by: zappsweden ]

Zapp makes some good suggestions.

1) Pre-Game Viewing --- If you're playing a edited game, it would be nice to review it before the game starts.

2) Online Spectators --- Given the permission of the active players, allow outsiders watch live TCPIP games!

3) Replay & Record games --- As you play, the game is recorded in a file. Just like classic chess games.

In fact, SC2 could be done to enable use with a game server. It would mean very much since a game server hosting a scenario would make cheating impossible and also enable REAL online tournaments to be held(similar to those online chess tournaments).

• 4 months later...

There's a serious problem with online spectators.

If they watch all of what one side is doing one turn and all of what the other side is doing the next turn, then they'll have all the info on both players!

I think the online spectators should only see the units visable to both sides, which whould be exciting and good as they'd have to speculate on what each player has lurking in the shadows.

It could have a feature like they have when I play hearts on -line. The players could have a feature where you allow others to see you or you could choose not to allow others see you. So you could set it up where you are able to see both players moves, or just one player, or of course none.

Another advantage with online-spectators is we would get much better competition. Newbies would pick up on the moves much quicker and the top-10 would be awesome competition (hopefully). new tactics evolved in the top games (watched by others) would spread like rings on water. More ppl would buy the game smile.gif

[ September 29, 2003, 09:43 AM: Message edited by: zappsweden ]

Zapp, I agree with you that for newbies this would be a large advantage to watch the play of a much better player. It would greatly increase the time that it takes for a player to increase his ability. Right now it takes a LONG time because it takes a lot of games to learn the hard way.

• 3 weeks later...

Hmm the main reason I like SC is I can't use my several years worth of A3R skills to plot the perfect game out in advance.

I have been playing a few games in PBEM finally, and as I have not actually extensively played the game to the point I have memorised all the starting potentials, it has actually been a very fun experience for me.

A lot of my strategies have not been overly brilliant, but that has been part of the fun too. I have to say it gets boring playing games where I can sit back and beat the crapola out of the AI sit back and laud how frickin smart I am.

Losing makes you humble and it makes you less prone to arrogance.

I played a long campaign in my Steel Panthers World at War game not long back. I achieved 43 Decisive Victories a few draws, not one loss. I waltzed through places like Stalingrad as if the opponent was a complete moron. I found that the AI was just not able to compete with me.

But instead of it being thrilling to win that big, it ruined the game for me. I dumped the idea of playing anything but the Mega Campaigns, because in them I actually lose occasionally.

SC is best played without prior knowledge of the conditions.

I would only need to fret over cheating if there was money involved. I would only play a wargame for cash if I was in the same room with the opponent on a separate computer with a 3rd party monitoring the game.

Otherwise the only way to deal with cheating, is to abstain from further contact. If the party in question asks why, you do the best thing possible, you invent a reason to cover your inability to play, and you leave it at that.

Accusing a person of cheating, never accomplishes anything at all.

[ October 18, 2003, 11:20 PM: Message edited by: Les the Sarge 9-1 ]

I have been playing a few games in PBEM finally, and as I have not actually extensively played the game to the point I have memorised all the starting potentials, it has actually been a very fun experience for me.

True so very true. My most enjoyable games have been the custom mods where your not sure whats going to happen or the first 3-30 games, when I didn't know most of the combination and was surprised by an event. Now its Jet Jets Jets with LR LR and somemore LR.

There should also be (strictly as an option for

those so inclined) the ability to preposition

your units (without the enemy's knowledge of

course!) in accordance with your opening strategy.

Now this could be abused: perhaps certain units

can be "locked down" in the editor and unable to

be repositioned. The Battle of the Atlantic

would start out like it does now as advantage:

Allies because they know where all the subs start

out at (even if the Germans get the first move).

John DiFool

John DiFool - Excellent Idea

Perhaps one could be allowed to position the German subs anywhere in a range of hexes or select one of three starting positions - Current Position, MidAtlantic, South Atlantic.

Such option would also make play against the AI more interesting if the AI had a strategy for submarine warfare.

[ October 19, 2003, 03:06 AM: Message edited by: Edwin P. ]

If random starting positions are really that important to some of you, then let the Allies modify the campaign (ie move its units around) before the Axis do thier first turn.

But now, just like in 3R, you will have to set some limits on where you can place your starting units, to avoid unrealistic setups, but it shouldn't be too difficult to figure out.

If you want to make it real simple, simply let the Allies move first (editor option), but don't allow the Allies to DOW.

Originally posted by zappsweden:

1) In SC2, make a pre-game phase i.e when game starts both players can examine map (without fow) like the scenario editor (except no changes can be done). This makes cheating impossible since both players view tech, units, experience.

What is being considered is a BIT check to ensure that the selected campaign exists on each players system. This way a TCP/IP game can only commence if both players have the same campaign, i.e. with exact modifications etc., and this way if it is a modded campaign you have to send it to your opponent first and they can then check the setup in the editor if they wish, thus no surprises.

2) In SC2, make an option to connect to someones game just for watching it.

3) In SC2, please include some kind of replay option so that the whole war can be replayed and viewed by other players too.

Number 2 is a maybe but number 3 is a serious consideration if all goes right ;)

Hubert