Newbie learning game

Nero's Cat

Hi all - am very new to this game and love it - am very much still learning the ropes v the AI before daring to venture out into human play.

I have a number of queries and wonder if anyone can help, with either specific or just general comments re my questions below. I have read through the strategy guide and other helpful posts on this forum but don't seem to answer these specifically:

1. Playing as Axis, I have just knocked out Poland, France and Denmark. From this point I usually head north for Norway and Sweden in that order but by the time I've taken these 2 countries, I rarely have time to turn attention to Spain or the Middle East or the Med before Barbarossa kicks off. Am I doing something wrong (eg my invasion of Scandinavia or France, Poland etc is taking me too long?)

2. What is the ideal force composition (within the constraints of reasonable/likely MMP levels at this stage, to take Scandinavia? How is this invasion best carried out?

3. In the Med, I've rarely had any success with either Axis or Allies in dislodging troops entrenched in cities - is it just that I'm a really bad player even against AI?

4. I've heard people knocking out LC in one turn - I've never done this - how is it done? Do you have to operate units back from Poland to do it? Is it possible to knock out Poland in one turn? I've seen the AI doit to me in 2 turns on one occasion!

5. What are rockets good for? I read recent posts about getting them up to level 5 tech and full experience at which point they become very powerful, but spending that level of tech on the seems a waste in the early stages. Does their range increase with tech? At the moment, I only see them having a range of one hex but there was reference in one of those earlier posts them shelling London's port? How does this happen - following a successful invasion or can they fire across the channel?

6. As German, I always invest tech in Fighters, Tanks and anti tank - sometimes, but rarely, in Ind. tech and never anything in the others. As UK I always invest in Fighters and little else. For US, I invest for tanks, anti tank, air and occasionally Industry. For Russia, it's mainly tanks and anti tank. I only invest in anti tank for Italy. Is this a decent use of tech or are there other things (varying on nationality) which are worthwhile investing in?

Sorry if this is a bit of a ramble but any help would be appreciated.

Regards

[ November 07, 2003, 06:41 AM: Message edited by: Nero's Cat ]

Hi all - am very new to this game and love it - am very much still learning the ropes v the AI before daring to venture out into human play.

I have a number of queries and wonder if anyone can help, with either specific or just general comments re my questions below. I have read through the strategy guide and other helpful posts on this forum but don't seem to answer these specifically:

1. Playing as Axis, I have just knocked out Poland, France and Denmark. From this point I usually head north for Norway and Sweden in that order but by the time I've taken these 2 countries, I rarely have time to turn attention to Spain or the Middle East or the Med before Barbarossa kicks off. Am I doing something wrong (eg my invasion of Scandinavia or France, Poland etc is taking me too long?)

2. What is the ideal force composition (within the constraints of reasonable/likely MMP levels at this stage, to take Scandinavia? How is this invasion best carried out?

3. In the Med, I've rarely had any success with either Axis or Allies in dislodging troops entrenched in cities - is it just that I'm a really bad player even against AI?

4. I've heard people knocking out LC in one turn - I've never done this - how is it done? Do you have to operate units back from Poland to do it? Is it possible to knock out Poland in one turn? I've seen the AI doit to me in 2 turns on one occasion!

5. What are rockets good for? I read recent posts about getting them up to level 5 tech and full experience at which point they become very powerful, but spending that level of tech on the seems a waste in the early stages. Does their range increase with tech? At the moment, I only see them having a range of one hex but there was reference in one of those earlier posts them shelling London's port? How does this happen - following a successful invasion or can they fire across the channel?

6. As German, I always invest tech in Fighters, Tanks and anti tank - sometimes, but rarely, in Ind. tech and never anything in the others. As UK I always invest in Fighters and little else. For US, I invest for tanks, anti tank, air and occasionally Industry. For Russia, it's mainly tanks and anti tank. I only invest in anti tank for Italy. Is this a decent use of tech or are there other things (varying on nationality) which are worthwhile investing in?

Sorry if this is a bit of a ramble but any help would be appreciated.

Regards

[ November 07, 2003, 06:41 AM: Message edited by: Nero's Cat ]

Hi Cat,

some comments from my side...

1. I think you run into time troubles because you donĀ“t position troops at the rusian border 2 units in the to polish towns after defeat at poland, at least 4 at the tows after September 1940 max. 10 units near rusian border... Therefore the war readiness of the UDSSR increases to fast... See Terifs posts regarding this topics..

2. IMHO for Norway... 2-3 Fighters in Denmark, 4 Units in Transports (including 1 or 2 armies) are enough to kick out Norway in 1 turn.. Move your Destroyers to Sweden afterwards and a HQ and the Fighters to Norway this is nearly enough to knock out Sweden (at least against the AI)

3. Move over HQ because without supply your units are helpless

4. You will need all your 3 Fighters a HQ 3 Ground units Army, Tank(or another Army) and Corps within striking distance. This means operate a HQ and the other Units to the LC border on turn one.

5. As Germany you start with Level 1 Rocket science... 2 Hexes firing range look at the map you will see a Hex left of Bruessels were you can position a rocket early on within range of the London port.

6. As German I like to put a research chit in Subs sometimes in Rocket ( if you get 2-3 surprise advances early on in these areas you can further invest and build a new strategy upon it. and I always invest in Prod. Tech... As Italien Gun laying, Anti Tank... (The gamble chits are not the most cost effective but can work as an surprise later on ... Level 3 Subs can take out a battleship on first attack...)

Hi Cat,

some comments from my side...

1. I think you run into time troubles because you donĀ“t position troops at the rusian border 2 units in the to polish towns after defeat at poland, at least 4 at the tows after September 1940 max. 10 units near rusian border... Therefore the war readiness of the UDSSR increases to fast... See Terifs posts regarding this topics..

2. IMHO for Norway... 2-3 Fighters in Denmark, 4 Units in Transports (including 1 or 2 armies) are enough to kick out Norway in 1 turn.. Move your Destroyers to Sweden afterwards and a HQ and the Fighters to Norway this is nearly enough to knock out Sweden (at least against the AI)

3. Move over HQ because without supply your units are helpless

4. You will need all your 3 Fighters a HQ 3 Ground units Army, Tank(or another Army) and Corps within striking distance. This means operate a HQ and the other Units to the LC border on turn one.

5. As Germany you start with Level 1 Rocket science... 2 Hexes firing range look at the map you will see a Hex left of Bruessels were you can position a rocket early on within range of the London port.

6. As German I like to put a research chit in Subs sometimes in Rocket ( if you get 2-3 surprise advances early on in these areas you can further invest and build a new strategy upon it. and I always invest in Prod. Tech... As Italien Gun laying, Anti Tank... (The gamble chits are not the most cost effective but can work as an surprise later on ... Level 3 Subs can take out a battleship on first attack...)

Originally posted by Dragonheart:

Hmm Sombra it seems you learned alot meanwhile, maybe to much. Our 2nd game will not be a cakewalk anymore. :eek:

First of all if Dragonheart makes suggestions listen to him he is much better than I am.

Dragonheart you know the difference between "Theorie und Praxis" tongue.gif ?

When I play, even against humans I try to have fun and not play the perfect game... Leading to take unnecesary risks .... Trying something I know it is stupid... Sending expediton forces to their death..gambling to surprise my enemy.( You see I acting like all great generals behaved through history). Against other newbies it works and the game takes unexpected turns... Against a veteran player like yourself its deadly . Merciless you destroy these poor soldiers send to their death...

Originally posted by Dragonheart:

Hmm Sombra it seems you learned alot meanwhile, maybe to much. Our 2nd game will not be a cakewalk anymore. :eek:

First of all if Dragonheart makes suggestions listen to him he is much better than I am.

Dragonheart you know the difference between "Theorie und Praxis" tongue.gif ?

When I play, even against humans I try to have fun and not play the perfect game... Leading to take unnecesary risks .... Trying something I know it is stupid... Sending expediton forces to their death..gambling to surprise my enemy.( You see I acting like all great generals behaved through history). Against other newbies it works and the game takes unexpected turns... Against a veteran player like yourself its deadly . Merciless you destroy these poor soldiers send to their death...

Hi Cat,

Sombra already covered most of your questions, so only some additional information:

- You can attack Skandinavia and Vichy/Med simultaneously. And dont forget to position enough units at the russian border. Readiness should not increase before June 22, 1941. So you have enough time to conquer everything you want ;) .

- Norway: When you have destroyed the Corps in Oslo, you can capture the port by moving a land unit adjacent to it (+ land a transport via port to take the city).

- Med: entrenched units in a city are protected, so you first have to remove the entrenchment by attacking with multiple units. Additionally if all land hexes around a city (or fortress) are occupied by enemy units, the defender can only reinforce to a maximum of 5. Your out of supply units in Africa have not much strike capabilities, so you either have to use a HQ to support them, or you can use your transports: when they arrive and unload, the units start with full supply for one turn.

E.g. to conquer Alexandria just land 2 units east and west of the city and kill the defender. But first you have to reduce the entrenchment and the strength of the unit.

- rockets improve both strike range and attack strength by 1 with each tech level. At level 0-2 they are pretty useless. With Lv 3-5 and 2-4 bars experience they become deadly weapons. But its only worth researching them if you expect a long game (you need a lot of time for research and additionally 10-20 turns to collect enough experience). In a short or normal game, you can use your mpps for better investments than rockets.

Hi Cat,

Sombra already covered most of your questions, so only some additional information:

- You can attack Skandinavia and Vichy/Med simultaneously. And dont forget to position enough units at the russian border. Readiness should not increase before June 22, 1941. So you have enough time to conquer everything you want ;) .

- Norway: When you have destroyed the Corps in Oslo, you can capture the port by moving a land unit adjacent to it (+ land a transport via port to take the city).

- Med: entrenched units in a city are protected, so you first have to remove the entrenchment by attacking with multiple units. Additionally if all land hexes around a city (or fortress) are occupied by enemy units, the defender can only reinforce to a maximum of 5. Your out of supply units in Africa have not much strike capabilities, so you either have to use a HQ to support them, or you can use your transports: when they arrive and unload, the units start with full supply for one turn.

E.g. to conquer Alexandria just land 2 units east and west of the city and kill the defender. But first you have to reduce the entrenchment and the strength of the unit.

- rockets improve both strike range and attack strength by 1 with each tech level. At level 0-2 they are pretty useless. With Lv 3-5 and 2-4 bars experience they become deadly weapons. But its only worth researching them if you expect a long game (you need a lot of time for research and additionally 10-20 turns to collect enough experience). In a short or normal game, you can use your mpps for better investments than rockets.

I know itĀ“s not easy but i try to have fun and a perfect game. :D Even more i tell weaker opponents what is going wrong and what they could improve in their gameplaying.

But donĀ“t worry i was doing exactly the same like you when i started MP-Games. But i learned very quick and now iĀ“m a rather good player. The 2nd place in Zappleague is not really representing it correctly as there are a lot of better players arround than me.

@neros cat

For the LC gambit you have to operate 1 tank, 1 army and 1 HQ to the LC border, additionally you fly with all your fighters there.

Exact placement should be the army on the riverhex, the tank one hex above and the HQ in the middle of all units, to be on the save way you also move the corps from munich to the river hex bordering the maginot line.

Now you have 6 units for attack this should be enough for LC in one round......

But....although it is a 99 % chance to suceed i have to admit that in failed in may past multiplayer games.....but maybe i m just the unluckyiest player of the world :D

In which tech you invest depends on your overall strategy.

Hope this helps

Dragonheart

I know itĀ“s not easy but i try to have fun and a perfect game. :D Even more i tell weaker opponents what is going wrong and what they could improve in their gameplaying.

But donĀ“t worry i was doing exactly the same like you when i started MP-Games. But i learned very quick and now iĀ“m a rather good player. The 2nd place in Zappleague is not really representing it correctly as there are a lot of better players arround than me.

@neros cat

For the LC gambit you have to operate 1 tank, 1 army and 1 HQ to the LC border, additionally you fly with all your fighters there.

Exact placement should be the army on the riverhex, the tank one hex above and the HQ in the middle of all units, to be on the save way you also move the corps from munich to the river hex bordering the maginot line.

Now you have 6 units for attack this should be enough for LC in one round......

But....although it is a 99 % chance to suceed i have to admit that in failed in may past multiplayer games.....but maybe i m just the unluckyiest player of the world :D

In which tech you invest depends on your overall strategy.

Hope this helps

Dragonheart

Reading Nero's first post, the first thing that occurred to me was , hold on man hehe.

Ok knocking out Poland efficiently is important.

Knocking out France correctly is critical as well.

LC and Denmark should be easy if thought out.

But Sweden and Spain should not be considered "just places to knock out" hehe.

Remember Spain wasn't an enemy hehe.

No one appears to have yet mentioned the Strategy Guide yet so I will.

Dragonheart of course illustrates you can learn text book moves of course, but the 39 Campaign is just the 39 Campaign.

You want to try your hand at the 41 Campaign to see how the game feels at other key historical moments as well.

Don't get in a rut only playing the 39 Campaign.

Reading Nero's first post, the first thing that occurred to me was , hold on man hehe.

Ok knocking out Poland efficiently is important.

Knocking out France correctly is critical as well.

LC and Denmark should be easy if thought out.

But Sweden and Spain should not be considered "just places to knock out" hehe.

Remember Spain wasn't an enemy hehe.

No one appears to have yet mentioned the Strategy Guide yet so I will.

Dragonheart of course illustrates you can learn text book moves of course, but the 39 Campaign is just the 39 Campaign.

You want to try your hand at the 41 Campaign to see how the game feels at other key historical moments as well.

Don't get in a rut only playing the 39 Campaign.

With the Italians I normally try to build up an air force of 4 air fleets, and use them to help conquer Greece, Vichy, Switzerland and possibly Spain.

With my income and plunder my Italians will normally research:

Industrial Tech

Jets

Gun Laying Radar (if the fleet isn't sunk)

Anti-tank

Not necessarily in that order. I believe in building up a strong Italy, so that it can protect the quieter fronts while Germany launches attacks on the decisive fronts.

Actually, you may find playing a human the quickest way to learn. Don't worry about losing, as you will get a chance for revenge later on. smile.gif

[ November 07, 2003, 10:16 AM: Message edited by: Bill101 ]

With the Italians I normally try to build up an air force of 4 air fleets, and use them to help conquer Greece, Vichy, Switzerland and possibly Spain.

With my income and plunder my Italians will normally research:

Industrial Tech

Jets

Gun Laying Radar (if the fleet isn't sunk)

Anti-tank

Not necessarily in that order. I believe in building up a strong Italy, so that it can protect the quieter fronts while Germany launches attacks on the decisive fronts.

Actually, you may find playing a human the quickest way to learn. Don't worry about losing, as you will get a chance for revenge later on. smile.gif

[ November 07, 2003, 10:16 AM: Message edited by: Bill101 ]

No replacement for just playing the game of course. Reading the manual and the guide is useful, but it won't walk you through the game's more obnoxious tricky moments hehe.

Searching under "houserules" here though will tip you off to what is considered the games more "gamey" moments.

Fortunately a lot of the game's notorious gamey qualities fall off sharply when you pick post 1941 Campaigns.

No replacement for just playing the game of course. Reading the manual and the guide is useful, but it won't walk you through the game's more obnoxious tricky moments hehe.

Searching under "houserules" here though will tip you off to what is considered the games more "gamey" moments.

Fortunately a lot of the game's notorious gamey qualities fall off sharply when you pick post 1941 Campaigns.

Originally posted by Les the Sarge 9-1:

Thank for that - searching now!

Originally posted by Les the Sarge 9-1:

Thank for that - searching now!