Rome gambit?

Cheesehead

Cheesehead without taking out all the fun of experimenting, use your Med forces, additional French armies/air/hq(?) and UK air to DoW Italy before they enter and occupy Rome on the first turn of DoW. There is of course a % chance it will fail and be careful about making moves that enhance Italy's readiness. Its a game breaker for the Allies if it fails.

The Rome Gambit is forbidden in all competition games. You can say it is worldwide banned :D . Therefore you will not find an explaination about how to do it - and I hope no one will ever describe it. It can only be misused against uninformed new players that dont know it is banned...

BTW: in the PBEM League there are no official rules, but it is recomanded to forbid the Rome gambit in your games individually to be sure that no one exploits this loophole.

It's only banned cause of the fact you can't fight back<but wait a minute, howa bout we get rid of the HouseRules and give the Axis a Bid instead! thatta way, no houserules just pure cash and that would even out whatever Rom Invasion could do. That's what we do anyways for the Allies which makes no sense. Same concept>. I'm sure if you sat there and thought hard enough about it you could take out the USA too in 1 turn. Beta and hotseat it awhile. Personally I miss taking Riga Rnd 1 of Barbarossa cause of bloody Rom invasion...

<I've never done the invasion nor have had it done to me, it banned during the old Zappleague by the No Amphibious landing on Same turn as a DOW Rule. I suppose an easy answer for the Axis would be to DOW Italy right when you expect it to come tongue.gif with a bid and there ya go. Uber German MPPs no Rom Invasion. We owe this Invasion to Rambo, he's the creative genius of the SC Crowd>

Rome Gambit is not much nicer than the LC Gambit. Basically it is an "option" that the Allied player can take, that has zero historical slant, but as it is just a game, you are left with the ability to do things that are "not historical".

Now both the LC and the Rome Gambits are very punishing to the Axis if they are done right.

But to counter this negativity, just tell anyone that thinks they are unfair to attempt them, that they as German player should be expected to say tone down their out of control minor country feeding fest as well as toning down their out of control application of Jets.

Because that can greatly skew the game in favour of the Axis and make playing Allied a major bummer just as easy.

Although I will concede, the Rome Gambit has a real chance of making the game crash and burn. Lose the Italians, and the game is over.

Cheese, Head --- Rambo Rome Invasion (RRI) is too deadly. Allies can take out Italy on turn #5 everytime. I haven't run the combat charts for probability, but I've never seen it fail on Hotseat. The invasion of Italy in the pre-rules period was done alot, but against the Fleet & captured a few cities independent of Rome.

The Riga landing got rule also got Pork Barrelled into the competitive league of the time (Zappleague). After a little more bickering & discussion, it was decided no landings on majors on the turn of DOW. Even with bidding (as Liam mentioned) had been discussed, but it would be very quarky of a game.

Allied LC-gambits turn #2 are stopped by 95% of the players attacking it themselves on #2. Allied turn #1 is free game, but the odds aren't that great of success, failure against a good player & you've probably lost the game (or behind the 8-ball for a long time, way behind). Actually, Terif is the best against successful Allied LC-gambits, so be careful on them, they're not that great.

RRI is the only standing world wide rule.

Lots of good comments by all. Rambo is the founder of the Rome Gambit and made some good points. He should know it best. smile.gif

If you do a search you will find discussions on it in the past. That is how I searched to see how to do it and practiced it with hotseat. It does work.

The gambit that bothers me the most is the allied Dutch gambit, but not the allied Dutch gambit on turn two but on turn one. Does that have a name of its own? Had that recently done to me and beat it by following Terif's advice. His advice on how to beat it really does work. But its a real pain. It also is just so much luck for the allied player. If he doesn’t get the LC on turn one then the game is essentially over. I think its only about a 50/50% chance of succeeding.

However, Liam makes some great points on the Riga gambit. How that ever got thrown into the same category as the Rome gambit I don’t know. It seems like a valid amphibious invasion to coincide with a land link up invasion to me. It also seems to be something that historically was at least possible. (Perhaps not probable, but possible where the Rome Gambit was not possible).

Thing is I "BELIEVE" that LC was aligned with the Allies during the opening of hostilities too much to mean a DOW. Definitely Belgium wasn't going to resist France's heavy foot at the time so a DOW was very unneccessary<let us come through Mr. Belgium> <why sure Mr. France, go right ahead>.

LC Turn 1 by Allies works, however do not "fail." as mentioned by others you're a dead duck. Plus if I'm really really lucky and well prepared I can cut a hole where they paste that fighter in the southern Maginot. Put your Armor Far enough south and paste a couple corps in Striking Range with 3 fighters backed by HQ it's open season. People generally use the fighter from Poland.. Unless they're real real lucky with those LC Dice. That means knock it down to at least 4 or 5 strength before it can be transfered over. Then you cut that Southern Maginot, insert Tank or Corps and bam... You do not need a Crossing

Avatar caught me with my pants down in a Game like this, we never finished however. The game probably would've been won if I'd of put my Polish fighter down south, not assured though.

Morale of the story, do not pull a LC Allies Gambit Turn 1. It's unethical tongue.gif

but so is 12 German Fighters

- Like Rambo & Terif explained the Rome invasion if done correctly never fails though it is banned from competition games.

The other widely used house rule of no landing in mayor nations sucks IMHO because it virtually hands over the Med. to the Axis as their private pond though all benefits to the Axis.

At least you should play no landings in the same round as a DOW in any Nations (IMHO)

- Like Rambo & Terif explained the Rome invasion if done correctly never fails though it is banned from competition games.

The other widely used house rule of no landing in mayor nations sucks IMHO because it virtually hands over the Med. to the Axis as their private pond though all benefits to the Axis.

At least you should play no landings in the same round as a DOW in any Nations (IMHO)

I call it the grab the money and run tactic.

The reason I think the LC Gambit can be destructive, is all the people that so love the Axis, depend on those easy initial conquests for elaborate early game expectations.

So you attack the LC, and you don't really do anything with it. But as an ally to the Axis, it is now not a conquest money grab.

If you are able to read your Axis opponent, and always be there to attack HIS targets, you stand a reasonable chance of completely mangling his prepared economic expectations.

Attack the LC as German, and of course you are waiting for those spoils. But what if all you get is a dumb survivor Corps for your efforts?

A single corps might not be what the Axis were counting on. It might have been the cash needed for important repairs or new construction.

The allies can't do this much, but it is indeed possible to botch a good deal of atypical Axis planning if he ends up wondering where the money went in the middle of operations.

Liam,

Yes, Belgium was a technical ally of France at the time. 2 points : the Maginot line was not finished in order to guarantee Belgium that we will try to protect it ; the allied plan we belgium agreement was to have the Anglo-French army entered the country once German begin the attack. those plan have been discussed before the war and actually the french army did enter Belgium by error once without triggering a war (but upset the Belgium governemnt).

On the other hand LC seem to have tried to stay neutral like in WWI.

The Belgium gambit should work like the greek gambit of WWI (that actually took place). The neutrals army should simply disappeared and no plunder taken. But it should dramatically affect US entry IMO.

Hi Russian

The word Gambit originates from the chess game. In particular, the word gambit means "making a sacrifice during the opening moves (of a chess) game to gain a strategic advantage".

You see that explained in the Low County (LC-)Gambit:

The allied attacker declares war on LC to gain a strategic advantage (Rhein river protection for France) but the sacrifice is a delay in US war readiness.

But in SC the word Gambit is mostly used in a more general way and means a certain move of a player connected with a Declaration Of War [DOW] that greatly affects the cource of a game.

I.e. when the Allied attack Spain before the balkan countries join the axis.

Feldtrompeter

A further explanation is not unwarranted as well.

To us SC players, the word "Gambit" has become popular to describe a popular annoying idea that often ruins the game for someone that didn't see it coming smile.gif

Thus, if you are a novice Axis player, and a smart skilled SC player does the LC Gambit on you, odds are that's your butt on that platter hehe.