TCP/IP ETA

Not to start another game flame war, but SC now, even without tcpip, is more fun than HoI will ever be. Anyone who's every played Europa Universalis II and has had to adjust the freaking game speed every two minutes as he's sending out wave after wave of unsuccessful colonist will know, in his heart, that this is true.

Well I think both programs will be excellent nevertheless. As it stands SC has proven itself, HOI has yet to do so.

HOI certainly sounds good. EUII was very successful in retail sales...... for a grand strategic game this is very rare indeed.

Anyways Hubert any idea on the M/P patch. Maybe September?

[ August 28, 2002, 05:29 PM: Message edited by: RCMP ]

iolo: iam sorry to drag you back in to this but i really would like to know what is so bad (or not so good) about HOI. ive never played EU I or II so i dont know the drawbacks. i know more proper place to discuss about this subject would be the HOI forum but its full of people who just praise the game. i would like to hear a really really critical opinion about the game. my reasoning being that i dont want to be disapointed. if i take all the negative views as the truth i can only be positively suprised when the game comes out smile.gif i know you are not out to bash the game but you are the first i just happened to see that is atleast somewhat critical about it.

to moderators: dont lock this thread because of me. i promise i wont make any off topic posts about HoI in the future :rolleyes:

to prove my point iam even willing to contribute something to this thread: i have a lan in my apartment and we are doing fine with my friends without the tcpip. ofcourse iam not against the patch (duh) but when we are playing the other guy who's not doing his turn is just browsing around the net or watching tv or playing some other game. so we maybe still using the pbem play in lan even if the tcpip comes out. we just move the file between the computers and the guy can make his move when he is ready for it and has though about it some time... we dont want the opponent to make any hasty mistakes now do we smile.gif

-antti

My two cents...

I agree with iolo regarding EUI & EUII. What was supposed to be so immersive, after reading such wonderful AARs, really wasn't.

I think there was too much happening, with little way to take it all in and disseminate it. At any point in time, I couldn't really tell who was leaning closer to whom, and what devious thing someone did to someone else... it was lost in the pile of information that flew by.

In the EU series, politics was supposed to be king, and that's where it lost me.

As for HOI, since it's based on the same (but modified) engine, but would probably be very different on the political level, the system might work better. If warfare is king in HOI, then it's a little easier to deal with, as you can scan the map to see what's happening.

Of course, you then end up with the common RTS problem of not being able to see everything at once, or be everywhere at once. The reason I stay away from many RTS games.

Only time will tell if HOI will float.

So, that brings us back to why SC is soo much fun. It's manageable, digestible, fun, and addictive. You don't get lost in any shuffle here, but are still managing things on a large scale. Managing the fun things!

Aloid

[ August 28, 2002, 06:28 PM: Message edited by: Aloid ]

Here I go with the broken promises...

Ok, I don't even know what HoI will be like. But... from reading the interviews the developers are mighty proud of their EU2 and are bringing a lot of it's features in HoI (game engine, including provinces, adjustable real-time, movement mechanisms, etc...)

I _think_ that the spirit of HoI will be similar to that of EU2 (which many, many, many people love.)

Personally, I didn't love it. It's not a bad game, I've played worse, but between my friends and I get to try out just about every wargame. And for me it's only worth spending time on the great ones.

I think everyone here, by the time they finished the SC demo, was hooked. It has solid, solid gameplay.

I could list pages of problems with EU2 but I'm having more fun thinking about my SC PBEM games smile.gif . But to summarize (my opinions only)

- the real-time was annoying as you always had to switch between fast-forward and slow motion

- the environment felt constricting

- the M/P was unplayable because of the real-time restriction

- there were no paratroopers!

Yes, and what Aloid said about the surplus of information. It's ridiculous to look at a map with 50 units all moving in different directions and belonging to 10 different alliances about which you know nothing about! Liebe Gott!!

I like EU2 and SC. I haven't played it multi player, but, some EU2 players liked the challenge of not changing the time scale... SC is a turn based game, EU2 isn't. You would find some fans of EU and probably HoI who would find SC boring because it's turn based. I can't say HoI will be fun or won't be, but a global WW2 game does interest me, and I liked EU2 and it's RTS element enough that unless they screw HoI up and it gets horrible reviews, I'll buy it like I'd buy any good WW2 strat game that gets decent reviews.

[ August 28, 2002, 06:38 PM: Message edited by: Rastan ]

Well, HoI is going to be quite unlike SC. I love EU2 but definitely wouldn't call it a wargame. Although it will have more combat, HoI wll also have a highly developed diplomatic side that deals with foreign policy relations and the economic/social aspects of waging war, such as instability at home, etc. If they can pull this off, and that's a pretty big "if", it should be good.

Well this is what their promo states!!

You decide if it has potential or not?

Seems interesting......when/if you ever get bored of SC. I think they are releasing it in Nov/02

"Hearts of Iron is the first ever World War II PC game of true Grand Strategic scope. The game map spans the entire world and allows players to take the War to any new front of their choosing. Any nation in the world is playable, but the game focuses on the epic struggle between the great alliances of the new world orders Fascism, Communism and Democracy.

Hearts of Iron is developed by the team behind the awardwinning sales success Europa Universalis I and II and brings the same superdetail to a modern day gaming experience.

Hearts of Iron aims to be no less than the definitive World War II strategic experience.

Epic gameplay - Global map with all the nations between 1936-1946

Scenario Editor - Allows the players to modify and construct their own settings and campaigns and add national detail in thousands of combinations! Will assure great replayability and community activity!

Deep diplomatic model - Unique system to simulate political systems and their effect on neutral nations in relation to alliances.

Highly advanced research model - Change the course of war by getting superweapons and better production capabilities.

Real Time gameplay set to pause at any time.

Historical generals and political leaders. Thousands of real persons researched for individual detailed uniqueness.

Strategic level military system - over 100 different ground, air and naval forces fighting the total war on divisional level.

Optimized for Multiplayer - Hearts of Iron enables players to easily meet over the net through our proprietary Valkyrienet matchmaking service.

2 hours of quality musical recordings in MP3 format."

Hopefully Hubert will make an SCII that includes the whole planet.....that would rock!

Thanks Hubert for the 10's of hours of enjoyment.

ps ok maybe a pacific add on?

Thanks

[ August 29, 2002, 11:51 AM: Message edited by: RCMP ]

Gamespot has a pretty good interview with the lead designer here: (free article)

http://gamespot.com/gamespot/stories/previews/0,10869,2874668,00.html

And you can download the preview movie here:

(no game details, it's just ww2 footage.. but i know some people just can't get enough ww2 footage...)

http://www.paradoxplaza.com/files/hoi_intro.zip

No doubt I'll be buying this game, probably pre-ordering it, but I just wish it wasn't made by the EU2 team. Or at least if they acknowledged that EU2 wasn't the greatest game ever made and that they were trying to improve on it.