Axis or Allies?

I'm curious, what side will you want to play first, and most often, in SC?

A lot of the posts so far seem to indicate that the Axis side generates the most interest. That's understandable, as they will almost certainly be the most active early on, and the Allies will be reacting to Axis moves for at least the first part of most games.

Are the choices the Allies have, assuming they survive long enough to strike back, as interesting to you as the early Axis expansion?

I am very interested in seeing what an Allied Med strategy has to offer, as well as the options for D-Day. Main landing in Southern France or Northern Germany? Knock out Italy first? Pound Germany with strategic air and surface fleets while Russia does the ground fighting?

When the (happy) day comes when it's time to look for PBEM opponents, do you think it will be more difficult to find people volunteering to play the Allies?

As a side note, if you are getting the manure knocked out of you, when do you think it would be proper to offer to surrender? I know CM has the Cease Fire and Surrender options in the game system, but assuming that SC doesn't have that, what will the rule of thumb be?

As originally posted by BloodyBucket:

As a side note, if you are getting the manure knocked out of you, when do you think it would be proper to offer to surrender? I know CM has the Cease Fire and Surrender options in the game system, but assuming that SC doesn't have that, what will the rule of thumb be?

Right down to the last bedraggled unit, pixels or cardboard -- even if it is holed-up in the only un-collapsed corner of the burning-down barn...

Seriously, a lot of questions posed about what kind of play we prefer.

I don't mind taking either side, but I usually like the underdogs, and according to an earlier post by Hubert, I believe it was, it is very difficult to win with the Axis.

I am anxious to try out some Med strategies that I have in mind, as this -- at least at the start, provides two navies that are roughly equal.

Actually, I especially like to play the Allies, and I usually did so in various games against Human players. I somehow like to start with a serious handicap, struggle, and then slowly gain the upperhand. smile.gif

The BIG problem in computer WW2 grand strategy games often is, though, that the AI is mostly not up to the more complex task the Axis face (though the Allied AI often has problems with amphibious landings, otoh). Anyway, that´s why I usually end up playing the Axis more often versus the computer.

Straha

BloodyBucket

When it comes out,you and i shall have a game and i will go Allies :D

Now we should be the first two people in the world to have a challenge going or be comitted to a game with the full retail version.Are you on?

I've always prefered the Allies in any WWII game.

Once asked why I'm not particularly interested in CM:BB, I replied "Are there Americans in it?" tongue.gif

(The truth is my PC more than likely won't run it well.)

That said, I will actually play ANY side... so I often let a PBEM opponent take first choice. I just like playing games, so which side I play isn't the lifeline. (I just know alot more about Americans in WWII than I do about any other country.)

So when SC comes out, I'm looking forward to trying out ALL the different countries and options. There is alot of good gaming ahead!

Now I just wish we had true multiplayer capability, so someone could play Russia, while someone else was the US, and someone else was Canada, etc...

Playing the Allies in most WWII strat level games requires more finesse than the "Smash, grab and hold" Axis situation.

I imagine that I will be playing against the AI mostly as the Allies for that reason, and will play either side poorly in PBEM.

As to Titan's generous offer, I will give you a qualified "Yes!", the qualification being that when the game is released I might be overseas in a situation that would limit my ability to send turns in a timely fashion. If situation allows, I would be glad to be your first victim.