The challenge!

OK, here is something to pass the time while we wait for the full game:

Who can amass the most MPP per turn as the Axis player by the end of the demo?

Rules:

1. FOW is off.

2. Total MPP is all that counts.

3. Set USSR and the US to neutral, everyone else to random.

4. Default difficulty levels.

5. No invading the US or Canada!

Post your MPP per country (Italy + Germany), and what countries you have conquered here.

Jeff

Total MPP 4960 as Axis, 550 (or so) as Italians, with a turn income of 389/125 or so. I conquered all the usual suspects, took the capital of Spain, (without their surrender!) and was surrounding the capital of Greece. My Italians had just finished Vichy, and were loaded on transports and ready to dismount at Gibralter! Doh, just one more turn!!!!

--Oh, and I never bought a single unit or invested a point in research, my sole costs in the game were reinforcements and transport. I am going to top it though, I want to break the 400/turn income without invading the US or SU. THat should be the goal of this challenge - over 400 per turn.

435 MPPs or so at end of turn is very possible as the Germans. Italians get about 125? I usually am so disapointed that the demo ends, that I forget to look!

Hint 1: Take the Balkans before they are annexed. Increases USSR war readiness, but the pillage and per turn MPPs are worth it. Plus, it makes a good base to help start out Barbarosa. They are fairly easy to take, if you use a couple of air units. Once they are annexed, you can't touch them without triggering the Soviet invasion.

Hint 2: Let the Germans take Vichy. Then, transport a couple of units to take Algeria with the help of the Italian fleet. It gives Germany the points (plus the pillage), and lets the Italians move to prepare or even take Yugoslavia.

Sealion is very risky. Well, duh. It can give a lot of points, but it brings in the US and USSR. YOu'd better have a good reserve of MPPs to buy units to stave off the invasions!

I invaded the Balkans on turn two. The only thing I gave the Italians was Vichy - I took France, Balkans, Yugoslavia in that order. Then I invaded Greece and Spain, but never took them. I think I will try again - Oh and the key is to set US and SU to NEUTRAL, that way you can count on what really matters: EUROPE!

I am talking in reference to this little experiment, this is not the setting of choice for a full game, of course. Trying again...

I already posted this in the "Personal Best" thread, but here it is again... (note that I hadn't set Russia and U.S. to neutral in this game)

478 as Germany in the demo. If I hadn't let Italy (125) grab Bulgaria, it would have been higher.

Took Low Countries, France, Sweden, Vichy, Yugoslavia, was given Hungary and Rumania, and was a turn away from conquering Spain. Both US and USSR were around 80% on the war-o-meter.

Strange, in my last game, I took all the above except Sweden, but DID take Spain, and was a turn away from Greece, Gibralter, and Portugal, but my final turn was only 358. Hmm, maybe because Bulgaria and Rumania didn't join my 'cause' Oh, and I also took the Balkans. It is important for this challenge to keep US and SU neutral.

O-kay, second of two tries I got 531 Germany 136 Italy 694 total, with Low Countries, France, metropolitan Vichy, Sweden, Spain, Portugal, Egypt, and Yugoslavia conquered in that order. Got bogged down in Greece. Rumania, Hungary, and Bulgaria all signed up for the fun. I think the real prize might be the Iraqi oil fields, but so far they elude me. I also tried an April Barbarossa to try and get a city or two, and pick up the Finnish MPPs on the cheap, but I declared war too late and got neither. Good challenge, this.

It might also be worthwhile having a separate category for FOW on. That makes wiping out the British fleet in the Med, and the capture of Alex, substantially more difficult.

[ May 27, 2002, 11:03 AM: Message edited by: nijis ]

OK, lets madify this by saying that everyone get set to neutral.

Otherwise, having Rumania, Hungary and Bulgaria join the axis is going to be too important for the results. If you don't get them, you can't possibly have a good score compared to those who do get them to join.

Now, if you want those points, you have to go take them! smile.gif

Jeff

Originally posted by Jeff Heidman:

OK, lets madify this by saying that everyone get set to neutral.

I think this makes it too easy. At least it slants the numbers a bit. After all, if you know that The USSR isn't going to come in, you don't have to keep any units/MPPs in reserve to deal with it.

I play the demo as if it will go on for another year, and so have to keep borders defended. I keep the coastal units reinforced, and some air units back to counter the British bombers. Strategies that work in the demo probably won't, if settings are kept historical or random.

I also put some points into research, each one costing as much as an army, with the idea in mind that it will pay off later in the war. With neutral settings, it would be much better to spend those points on land units.

Maybe if we want to keep everyone neutral, it should include Italy as well. That makes Africa and Greece much more difficult to get, too.

444 with the Germans and 141 with the Italians without having Romania, Bulgaria, or Hungary join up. Took out Low countries, then the Baltic, France, Spain, Yugoslavia, Sweden, Greece, Spain, Vichy, Alexandria, Gibralter, was almost through with Finland, and was preparing to head into Iraq. The Brits took the coastal city in Norway when I wasn't looking, and I didn't have time to get it back.

Edit - Did it again, and while failing to get Spain or Greece, I did take Finland, Hungary, and Romania. Total 541 Germany 115 Italy

[ May 27, 2002, 03:10 PM: Message edited by: Wolfpack ]

First attempt, no one joined willingly except Italy, so I conquered Low Countires, France, Hungary, Yugoslavia, Romania, Bulgaria, Sweden.

I believe if I had two more turns I could have taken Greece and probably Finland. Then I could have used the buttload of points I saved up to rip into Russia.

Anyhoo, it came out to 444 Germany, 115 Italy.