When you play from the start as Axis, do you play it out historically?

Kuni is correct, wait for the last possible moment based on Russia's readiness. Why? Because Nazi Germany can keep saving or using lots of MMP's, no need to rush the process. Before Barbaross, Germany is probably getting 400+, Italy 140, UK 140...it's a numbers game.

But in the demo I usually invade Russia around september 1940. On top of the forces that originally invaded France, I usually have another Airfleet, 2 more panzer groups, another HQ, 3 Italian armies and an Italian HQ. Not to mention level 1 tech for heavy tanks and anti tank weapons. It usually does the trick and by May 1941 I have destroyed all of their armies. It's not hard at all.

I'm only talking single player of course.

Colonel,

Build up as much as you can before invading Russia, why wouldn't you when you can...?

Now, playing the AI doesn't require any special skill, my girlfriend can beat the AI.

If you face a good Allied player his defence of russia won't be AI-like and he will open up a second front as soon as possible. So Axis needs all the units it can get for the long game.

Invade when Russian WE is at 95 or something like that.

Lets sys the build up before barbarossa can reach slightly higher levels ;) as your build up. Against a human player expect to see:

Up to 8 tank groups, 7-8 LF, 5 HQs, 6-8 armies, 3-5 Korps + minors + 2 italian HQs + italian support troops. At least this is level I aim for in my games against a human player.

I sometime attack the Russian player early in the Game right after I take France, Denmark, Greece and Norway. The result - there are no Russian forces along the German Border. Its a real shock to the human Allied player.