H-39 Hotchkiss shouldn't be able to fight unbuttoned?

Ack! Nooooo....

Okay.. You are either button or NOT-button. Do you know what buttoned means? It DOESN'T mean having you head below the hatch level. It MEANS have the hatch closed and possibly locked becuase you are being shot at.

If you have the hatch open you are unbotton regardless of wether you are below or above the hatch level.

Anyway, the Hotchkiss has a VERY SLOW rate of fire to begin with.

Whew...

Jeff

------------------

I once killed a six pack just to watch it die.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jarmo:

It just hit me, with a 1 man turret, who's doing the shooting/loading

when the "commander" decides to grab some fresh air?

Or does he load and shoot from the hip? biggrin.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

NO he is just very good with his feet. smile.gif

Sorry Bruno I did not see your post.

[This message has been edited by Shatter (edited 01-03-2001).]

Jarmo said:

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>It just hit me, with a 1 man turret, who's doing the shooting/loading

when the "commander" decides to grab some fresh air?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Remember that a CM turn is a full minute. During that time, it seems to me quite possible for the H-39 "T"C to poke his head up for a quick look around between shots, then drop back down to do his other jobs. Such an abstraction seems to me in keeping with the ways in which CM handles other individuals. For example, we all know CM doesn't keep track of the position of every member of a squad.

OTOH, I have found that leaving H-39s unbuttoned in combat has a real disadvantage. If the "T"C is killed, the driver bails out, thus effectively destroying the "tank". IOW, I have never seen a shocked H-39. This seems reasonable because the "tank" is no longer capable of any offensive action. But it makes smallarms into effective "tank" killers, instead of just cripplers. Thus, regardless of any advantage to being unbuttoned, I think the disadvantage of greatly increased vulnerability outweighs it enough to keep the "tanks" buttoned smile.gif

------------------

-Bullethead

In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is strength, in water there is bacteria.

[This message has been edited by Bullethead (edited 01-04-2001).]

Yeah, I always keep them buttoned myself, so it's no major issue anyway.

BTW, I wouldn't expect the remaining crewmember to abandon the vehicle if the commander

is hit. Sounds like the kind of action leading to the court martial.

Yeah, I always keep them buttoned myself, so it's no major issue anyway.

BTW, I wouldn't expect the remaining crewmember to abandon the vehicle if the commander

is hit. Sounds like the kind of action leading to the court martial.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

A court marshall for bailing out of a Hotchkiss... jeez you're a hard man. All crew members should be receiving the Iron Cross 1st Class just for crewing the mobile coffin. I can tell you, if I was inside it & being shot at by anything larger than air-gun I'd probably bail myself at the earliest opportunity, wouldn't you?

Regards

Jim R.

I tried 'em out a while ago. In a role they are somewhat suited for.

I set up an allied mechanized attack, vs german armored.

The AI picked british forces, some halftracks and arty with a lot of infantry.

I picked a fleet oh H-39's.

Then I just drove them against the enemy hordes, completely and utterly smashing them. smile.gif

I don't think I've ever defended against an attack so easily.

Lost one kisser to the arty and 2 were immobilized. 1 casualty.

Piat's did their best, but as soon as one popped up, he was met by half a dozen blazing MG's.

I don't think I'd have done better with StuH's.

I tried 'em out a while ago. In a role they are somewhat suited for.

I set up an allied mechanized attack, vs german armored.

The AI picked british forces, some halftracks and arty with a lot of infantry.

I picked a fleet oh H-39's.

Then I just drove them against the enemy hordes, completely and utterly smashing them. smile.gif

I don't think I've ever defended against an attack so easily.

Lost one kisser to the arty and 2 were immobilized. 1 casualty.

Piat's did their best, but as soon as one popped up, he was met by half a dozen blazing MG's.

I don't think I'd have done better with StuH's.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm shocked! 1940's French made tanks winning the day... what is the world coming to... eek.gif

Regards

Jim R.

Jarmo said:

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>The AI picked british forces, some halftracks and arty with a lot of infantry.

I picked a fleet oh H-39's. Then I just drove them against the enemy hordes, completely and utterly smashing them<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I set up a battle of 14 H-39s vs. 2 M5 Stuarts at 400m, totally open, flat terrain, head-on. The H-39s poured their fire on the M5s, achieving hit after hit, all doing no damage, not even to tracks and exposed TCs. In fact, the Stuart TCs rarely even bothered to button up after a ricochet. Meanwhile, the M5s slaughtered the H-39s. In a few turns, they were all dead or abandoned.

------------------

-Bullethead

In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is strength, in water there is bacteria.

Guest Big Time Software

I think Charles whacks the RoF quite a bit when it is unbuttoned. But I will run this by him for future consideration because on the Eastern Front we will see more of this (2 man turrets have similar problems).

Someday we will rework the crew casualty modeling to allow something like the H-39 to still be able to drive around even if the commander is whacked. The current modeling was really designed for 4 and 5 man crews that have 2 casualties or more. The likely circumstances that would cause this would also likely cause the vehicle to be abandoned. But it is true... the driver of a H-39 would simply drive back to the rear if the TC was killed, not bail out.

Steve

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally by BTS:

I think Charles whacks...I will run...we will see more...problems).

it is true... H-39 would simply...rear<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> (some unnecessary drivel edited away)

I'm a happy camper now! biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by Jarmo (edited 01-04-2001).]