Do Planes Provide Intelligence For The Enemy?

Yep, the planes are not on the same radio net as the troops, so they can't tell the ground-pounders what they see. That's a good reason why you cannot direct the air support to attack targets of your choosing. But as SuperTed said, if you see them make an attack, then you can assume there is an enemy target behind those woods. Who knows, you might even get to see multiple plumes of smoke from destroyed vehicles.

I saw a very good scenario recently, let me see, Jabos! was the name, if I recall correctly. When I played it, I could see plumes of smoke rising from presumably burning enemy vehicles that were out of my line of sight. I didn't learn WHAT kind of vehicles they were, however, until after I finished the scenario.

The scenario is a masterpiece of balance and strategy, by the way.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Stuka:

Yeah, right.<hr></blockquote>

Why Stuka, I'm shocked at your unfounded doubts as to the scenario's balance. Are you suggesting, in your own imitiable way, that the scenario might be skewed? The point ratios for this assault are fairly equal, I assure you.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Ellros:

Yep, the planes are not on the same radio net as the troops, so they can't tell the ground-pounders what they see.<hr></blockquote>

By late 1944, this was no longer true for US forces, and possibly also for British--in real life, anyway. Also, company HQs frequently called in artillery strikes in the US army (see Charles MacDonald's excellent "Company Commander"). For various reasons, CM chose not to model this.

A case could be made, however, for letting planes give recon info to Allies after a certain date ( don't remember it offhand). Also, for increasingly accurate airstrikes after that date.