ASSAULT VERSION OF THE MG42....HERE LOOK

It is called the Fallshirmjagergewehr 42, the first time it was ever used (operationaly) was by Otto Skorzeny when his commando unit rescued Benito Mussolini in 1943. It is a very interesting weapon, here are the Specs:

Calibre: 7.92 mm

Length: 940mm

Length of Barrel: 502mm

Weight: 4.53 kg

Muzzle Velocity: 761 meters per second

Magazine: 20 round-box

Cyclic Rate: 750-800 rpm

fg42-01.jpg

-Fieldmarshall

[ 07-26-2001: Message edited by: Fieldmarshall ]

[ 07-26-2001: Message edited by: Fieldmarshall ]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>

So if you held the trigger, you'd be out of ammo in about 1.5 seconds. ;)

BZZZZZZT! "Reload!" ............ BZZZZZZT "Reload!" .........

[ 07-26-2001: Message edited by: Adam Lloyd ]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not only that, but since it only weight 4kg, you would have no shoulder and the last 10 rounds would be aimed for a speace shot.

Ther's a live fire video I've seen (I'll try and get the name), where a guy fires one on full auto. The fireball looks like the Death Star going up, so I'd guess it wasn't too practical. I'm pretty sure this weapon has been covered in other threads. The reason BTS didn't include was because only small numbers were made.

The reason for the fireball was the very short barrel causing unexpended powder to combust outside the muzzle. The 7.92mm round was designed for a full-sized rifle barrel, so the powder is chosen to be fully expended over about 23 inches or so (600mm).

FG42 had selective fire, so could fire single rounds instead of full auto. And the really cool thing was that it fired from a closed bolt (for accuracy) in single mode, but the open bolt (to facilitate cooling and prevent cook-offs) in the full auto mode.

In effect, this was the German equivalent of the BAR, though considerably more advanced.