DOD WW2 HalfLife mod

Guest blitz

This is a great mod

http://www.dayofdefeatmod.com/

But somethings I noticed, there are plenty of CM textures used in it, I noticed the trees and small house textures are right from CM and some sounds...

You may want to check it out, and maybe give them a polite message or something smile.gif dunno what the legalities of this is, since its a free mod.

Thank you for this link. I had no idea this mod existed. I downloaded it tonight and played the Caen map. I was pretty damn impressed.

Here are a few descriptions and features for those interested:

"Day of Defeat" is a Half Life mod of WW2 combat and tries to be as realistic as possible while still being a playable game.

Most of the major weapons are accurately modeled (as far as I can tell), including bazookas, Panzerfausts, flamethrowers.

The Caen map (the only one I've played so far) is a great map of a ruined city. My teamates and I were moving by leaps and bounds throughout the debris of the streets, ducking into half ruined buildings for cover. Many builings have stairs to get up to the second level which some provide excellent dark hiding spots for snipers.

Several classes to choose from. As allies you have:

Sniper: M1 Springfield w/ scope

Light infantry: M1 Garand

Assault infantry: Thompson SMG

Heavy infantry: BAR

Medic: pistol

and there are others such as .50 and .30 mgs. The Germans have their equivelent classes.

Probably the best thing about this mod is that Fatigue plays a roll. You can't go jumping about and firing your weapon as much as you want. You have a limited amount of ammo and you will quickly be exhausted from jumping around. Tired soldiers move at half their movement rate. No more crazy jumping opponents that are hard to kill.

So far I've played 3 classes:

Sniper, assault inf, and Heavy inf(BAR). All have their advantages and weaknesses. The sniper can hide in the shadows and wait for the one shot kill...The Assault infantry has good speed but not great killing power at long ranges and wont tire quickly. The Heavy infantry is slower and will tire quickly but has punching power of the BAR.

None of these classes rule the battlefield so far. I have learned not to stay in the streets too long because a sniper in the shadows will kill you quick. Yet if you close assault a sniper he is a dead man.

I highly recommend this mod for anyone who likes WW2 infantry combat. If you play the game with others who are seriously in to playing, then you can have one hell of a combat experience.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by blitz:

But somethings I noticed, there are plenty of CM textures used in it, I noticed the trees and small house textures are right from CM and some sounds...

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Eh????

There are no CM textures or sounds in this game. Not sure how someone could make that comment. (????)

I've been playing DOD for two days now. It's immersive. WWiionline should be better but this is a little taste. There's no mission structure. Everyone does thier own thing. Very gritty, fast paced killing.

[This message has been edited by iggi (edited 01-17-2001).]

I've been playing this mod too and I love it. The beach invasion map even has all the sounds from SPR. The sounds, the random artillery strikes, the weapons, the maps create an extremely immersive environment.

The only thing that bugs me is how the SMG assault infantry on both sides move slower than the rifle armed light infantrymen. Isn't a rifle heavier and more cumbersome than an SMG? Shouldn't their speeds be reversed?

There are definitely CM textures in there

There is a map. that has these small houses - CM wooden house texture, and trees - KWazyDog's tree tetxure (with pink bits of the alpha mask smile.gif )

Also the sounds - "we need ammo"

see the voice menu keys.

I'll findout the exact map name

[This message has been edited by blitz (edited 01-17-2001).]

Guest MantaRay

Yep, fine work. I played it for a while today and really enjoyed it, except for the Super Dark map where I kept getting lost. I like the weapons, maybe the best HL mod to date. CS and FA are close though.

Ray

------------------

When asked, "How many moves do you see ahead?", CAPABLANCA replied: "One move - the best one."

Click now for shelter from the Peng thread

The Red Army of the Rugged Defense Group Ladder

You can brighten the gama

yeap Map called dod_vally.bsp

Defintely has CM textures in it.

4 houses, and trees.

Not to mention the voice samples - US, didn't check the German ones

Guest Madmatt

Please tell me which map has the textures. I played for about an hour last night looking but didnt see any.

I didnt think about the sound effects. I will check those out.

Madmatt

Guest Madmatt

Thats not the same CM Wave file for "We Need Ammo". I am sure of it, and I recorded the originals! biggrin.gif

Madmatt

[This message has been edited by Madmatt (edited 01-17-2001).]

Matt try the DOD_Valley.bsp map

as the US, you can't miss the CM textures smile.gif

Griffen - re bots, not yet, mod is very new, so give it time smile.gif

[This message has been edited by blitz (edited 01-17-2001).]

you eviel bastards hehe why I ask did u tell me of this mod I lost an entire day playing this running around on all the maps from Caen to Omaha to Norway and god knows where else in that game drooling with every burst of my Mp40. Seriously though its not a bad mod, a bit buggy but good overall. I think some of the maps could be a bit bigger but my fav would have to be Caen. Well now I have to divide my time between CM and this, what a mess and I only have you guys to blame for ummmmm both hehehe

Yes, I think Caen is the best map so far. It has the war torn feel of urban combat. Lots of buildings to enter and nooks and crannies to hide in as a sniper. The random artillery rounds add a touch of reality also. It's also well balanced unlike the Omaha map which has to be the worst one I've seen. Omaha is just a killing spree without purpose, tactics or even reality.

The entire game really depends on who you are playing with. If you have some nut in there who insists on killing his own teamates, then the game wont be fun. If everyone in the game actually tries to use infantry tactics and realistically tries to stay alive, then it will be a great game.

I'd really like to see a map that doesn't allow you to respawn. That would really inspire players to play realistically instead of rushing into certain death.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Pak40:

I'd really like to see a map that doesn't allow you to respawn. That would really inspire players to play realistically instead of rushing into certain death. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are you kidding biggrin.gif look at CS ppl rush to their deaths all the time wink.gif. Well I guess i'll have to try & check this mod out, problem is 1 whole area of my HD is kaput, till can get new HD I dont even dare install CM frown.gif.

Regards, John Waters

------------------

"We've got the finest tanks in the world. We just love to see the

German Royal Tiger come up on the field".

Lt.Gen. George S. Patton, Jr. February 1945.

I played the mod for a bit last night, and it's pretty cool, although quite buggy. For instance, I can empty a whole smg clip at an enemy 1m away whose SIDE is facing me and no damage to him at all. I f I maneuver slightly to either side, he will die. But no killing from the side smile.gif And yes there were those few immature people who would sit in the tank at the spawn point and kill all their teammates.

But I hope this mod does really well. I'm also hoping that they improve the player models and animations tho, as now they look to stiff and blocky. Ah, and the smg's and BAR seem to be a little too accurate. I'm sure in future releases it'll just get better and better...

Ah yes, I am one of the level design team people, and maker of the map dod_valley using the CBM textures I got from the (incredible) demo. I assure you, this was temporary and will be replaced with new textures if wanted immidiatly as of version 1.1. Although DoD is not being sold, making it legal (I beleive), I still want to replace them and provide proper credit to the CBM team for the original textures.

Thanks,

Rob Lutz aka Mouge

What you have witness may well be bots! biggrin.gif They do that all the time.

Griffin.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PzKpfw 1:

Are you kidding biggrin.gif look at CS ppl rush to their deaths all the time wink.gif. Well I guess i'll have to try & check this mod out, problem is 1 whole area of my HD is kaput, till can get new HD I dont even dare install CM frown.gif.

Regards, John Waters

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

------------------

"When you find your PBEM opportents too hard to beat, there is always the AI."

"Can't get enough Tank?"

Hey Mouge

You might want to mention to the skinners to change the cammo on the German cammo smocks, hardly accurate for the time period the mod depicts biggrin.gif

But I love the German voices - I have a script that activates the Left - right -left - right voices smile.gif