Tanks shooting smoke!

As much as I'm loath to start a thread even resembling a GROG topic.

Did or has BTS answered the tank shoots smoke at infantry when targeted by the player?

Ex. M4, I target a squad in the trees. He spend the entire 60 sec shooting five smoke rounds in the area.

For those lackwits who have "Do a search" on a macro key. I tried, I waited, I waited, I waited, page didn't load.

To help with the troubleshooting the other M4 in the game targeted a squad on its own and fired HE. Logic loop gone horribly wrong? CMBorg playing with my mind?

The phenomenom of tanks firing smoke instead of HE is a very complex algorithm in the Tac AI. It only happens under certain circumstances. If conditions are right it will, if they are not it won't. Most of the time it won't.

It only happens when those units are causing harm to other units but aren't a real threat to the tank. However the tank might do this if there is a more important target for the tank itself.

The whole circumstance is very rare. In 9 out of 10 games, I'll bet it will only happen once or twice.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Maximus:

The whole circumstance is very rare. In 9 out of 10 games, I'll bet it will only happen once or twice.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I repectfully disagree. In 9 out of 10 games it will happen a little more frequently than that. My question is it far more of a happen-stance than historical? (I wasn't there but,......) In CM there are far too many crews that have Donald Sutherland for a commander, IMO.

In general, there is a problem (dare we call it a bug -again) with smoke. You line up indirect (or direct) fire from mortars and artillery that is well timed and you get smoke!!!

It is a big enough of a problem that people are firing off all of their smoke rounds at the beginning of a scenario just to prevent this from happening. Smoke should only be fired off when a unit is TOLD to do so,

I pray that this bug doesn't propogate itself into CM2.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Wildman:

For those lackwits who have "Do a search" on a macro key. I tried, I waited, I waited, I waited, page didn't load.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Besides, all these questions can be

taken up anew. Anyone who objects has

probably been around here too long.

--Rett

[ 07-22-2001: Message edited by: CMplayer ]

I know BTS is aware of the problem. Whether or not it will be fixed in CM2, I don't know.

I had this happen again just yesterday. I ordered a Hetzer to fire on an infantry unit (which wasn't shooting at anything) and only smoke came out.

[ 07-22-2001: Message edited by: Vanir Ausf B ]

Did your tank lose LOS (was either the target or the AFV moving)? I've noted that more times than not if there is a loss of sight that a weapon platform (inclusive) with a smoke loadout given a target order will likely switch to smoke rounds for the remainder of the fire order.

No the tank had been stationary for almost five turns and the infantry were in plain sight.

The reason I posted this horrendous topic again was to point out the problem in a vain attempt to prod BTS into a tirade about how they know of the problem and have a fix for it in CMBB.

I know, way too much hostility from work spilling over into my posts.

BAD CM'er......BAD......

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Wildman:

The reason I posted this horrendous topic again was to point out the problem in a vain attempt to prod BTS into a tirade about how they know of the problem and have a fix for it in CMBB.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

A while back Madmatt did just such a tirade, though he did not promise any fixes.

well...

in a recent QB my JgPz40 was ordered by me to fire Smoke (yes, yes, smoke) at a inf unit some 300m away.

And you know what?

Movei started and that miserable panzer changed my orders and fired HE!

Now go figure out...

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ciks:

well...

in a recent QB my JgPz40 was ordered by me to fire Smoke (yes, yes, smoke) at a inf unit some 300m away.

And you know what?

Movei started and that miserable panzer changed my orders and fired HE!

Now go figure out...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You want to hear miserable??? I ordered

an 81mm mortar to area fire a patch of

woods which was about to host the

Deutscher Jugends of 1926 reunion

(total convergence) and what does

he do? He changes target on me to shoot

HE at some immobilized puma! Then just

to spite me he got a catastrophic top

penetration on the first shot. I was

going to bust his ass back to private

but he got a silver friggin star, so