QB vs Scenario's for Pbem's?

Scenarios, definately. And campaigns, although I've played very few of those, apart from the CPX/CMMC of course.

A good scenario will bring the game to it's peak. Make it all it can be, so to speak. But I wouldn't ever play one against the designer. I'll play one that none of the opponents ever played before.

There are bad scenario's. The CMBO gameplay equivalent of stepping on a mine. But not that many really. At least I haven't encountered that many.

QBs, well, I never really got into them. I keep trying but it won't work for me. For some reason it (the randomness, the points and unit shopping) destroys the illusion for me, and makes it...well just a game, sort of. That makes no sense I guess, but that's the way I feel about it.

It was the same with ASL for me really.

Regards

Dandelion

I see what you mean Dandelion but I guess I'm just used to QB's. I guess if I knew for certain that a scenario was properly balanced I wouldn't worry so much. The other thing about doing QB's is at least you get to pick your force and that to me is important as I hate having to make do with a force I'm not happy with or a objective that is impossible to achive. I'll have to try a scenario some time though just to see. I also really really enjoy getting to play with tanks and so many scenario's don't have them or have those stupid, get killed if the enemy looks at them wrong M10's. Boy I sure wish the American's had beefed their M10's up a little bit in real life it sure would have been nice in this game. :D

Lee,

I am personally wondering why there are so few scenarios depicting US battles between June 6th and August 15th, not involving 101st or 82nd Airborne. This includes the landings, the battle of the hedgerows and operation Cobra. The Americans lost in excess of 40 000 men in this period and in my opinion their survival as a coherent force and continued advance was the feat of US arms in WWII. These battles contain it all in a wargamer perspective. It even has it's own little Bastogne, when part of 29th is cut off and surrounded on July 15th. Especially considering the sheer number of Americans involved in CMBO, I find it mighty strange that practically all of these battles are absent (excepting those of the Airborne divisions).

You have all the good source material on these battles over on your continent you know, so we're waiting... smile.gif

Wonder if there's any Normandy equivalent of the:

"We're the Battling Bastards of Bataan,

No mama, no papa, no Uncle Sam,

No aunts, no uncles, no cousins, no nieces,

No pills, no planes, no artillery pieces,

And nobody gives a damn!"

F Hewlett 1942

:poem.

Probably.

And Canada, where's a good campaign on the Norrey battles? That being the finest action of Canadian arms according to Mr Reynolds, I'd like to see if I can't do better than Max and Kurt did.

Regards

Dandelion

A good observation there Dandelion but I'm afraid I can't answer for the designers of scenario's as I am not one. Maybe they'll read this post and make some. But I certainly agree with you about the number of airborne scenario's there are. I guess air borne is more cool or something but I myself never use them. I want to see tanks in my games. :D

I am personally wondering why there are so few scenarios depicting US battles between June 6th and August 15th, not involving 101st or 82nd Airborne. This includes the landings, the battle of the hedgerows and operation Cobra.
Here are a few that I would recommend:

The Crisbeq battery (D+1 - 4th inf div)

Grandcamp (D+2 - 2nd inf div)

The "Any port after a storm" and "No rest for the weary" series (June thru July - 79th inf div)

Old Hickory (July 9th - 30th inf div)

A matter of honor (June 25th - 79th inf div)

Painful progress (July 2nd - 4th inf div)

L'Abbey Blanche (August - 30th inf div)

L'Elle River crossing (? - 29th inf div?)

Mortain (August - 30th inf div)

Thanks for the recommendions Kingfish. I am finishing up a pbem presently and we are discussing trying a scenario instead of a QB so will try one of these if Moneymaxx is in agreement. I guess I couldn't get beat any worst in a scenario then I have already with QB's. :(