Difference Between Assault/Attack/Probe

The ratio of attacker to defender changes with each type. Something like 1/1 on the ME, 1.2/1 for attack and 1.5/1 for assault.

Also, for ME the flags are roughly equal distance from both sides, attack has them about a third of the way into the defenders side, with assault having them about a 1/4 of the way from map edge.

These are all ballpark numbers, but they should give you an idea.

We'll I don't know about you, but I would much rather be attacked or assaulted then probed. But maybe that was just because of the incident with the gym coach in junior high school...

*crickets chirping*

;)

[ 04-26-2001: Message edited by: Banshee ]

Yikes!

Okay, so we have a difference of point ratios in this order: probe/attack/assault (least diff to most)

We have flags further back from the center in the same order.

Anything else?

For instance, in the few "attacks" I've set up with the AI the map seems to be long, but in all my assaults, it has always been wider and narrow.

assault and attack are more closely aligned defination and have been used interchangeably. A Probe, despite some of the happy gym memories mentioned above :D , is more of a recon type of attack. Yer not commiting yer whole force, just enuff to see what's in the area yer interested in. It's also more tentative too. An assault or attack will be committed with more violence while a probe will just use enough force to get the job done, i.e. to find out what, where, who and so on.

BTW Uh some of the force ratios mentioned for attacking may be wrong. In the attack you want to try and achieve at least a 3-1 ratio of attackers to defenders. Now in the scale of CM that may seem to be hard to do but that means locally, and keep just enough forces to maintain yer other objectives.

From the CM Manual (pg 109):

"Battle Type - Assault, Attack, Probe or Meeting Engagement. This determines the force balancing (how many points the defender gets, how many the attacker), the map size, whether the defender may have fortifications, as well as victory flag placement."

That's all I know.