Defending Against the Assault, a CM Guide

And those MG bunkers are not useless. They have 3 MG42s in there. They can do a great job on infantry. They really scare infantry back to where they came from. And If you've got a 75mm bunker with support keeping the enemy's tanks busy the attacker will be trying to think of a way to get infantry behind your bunker. Right where you MG bunker is sitting.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't say they were useless, I said they were fragile. Positioned where the attackers HE can't get at them, they can be quite useful.

That's a nasty trick by the way, I'll remember that one. A flamethrower will do the same thing for less points though.

• 4 months later...

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Well....that's not a complete listing but enough for now. I'll continue very shortly with the infantry and other overlooked support units.

I'm also chewing on Adam's question and trying to put it into something legible.

Cheers

Murray<hr></blockquote>

A bump for Claymore smile.gif

Most, if not all of this has been said in earlier posts however, this is one of the wordiest threads that I have had the pleasure of reading. let me condense things a little. As someone once told me, if you slug it out toe to toe with a bigger stronger opponent, you will be given a good hiding. Wait until his (her) back is turned, then kick him in the ar*e!!!

On this note, use flanking terrain whenever possible - ALWAYS TRY TO OPEN FIRE FROM THE FLANK OR THE REAR: avoid the front. (Reverse slopes are very useful)

USE MINES AND WIRE to deny ground to the enemy, and keep them covered by fire.

Use arty d.f's (TRP's) against obvious lines of advance and choke points. THIS IS PARTICULARLY IMPORTANT - ARTY SHOULD CAUSE THE MAJORITY OF ENEMY CASUALTIES.

Your forces should mutually support each other whenever possible - always try to maximise firepower. IF THE ATTACKER CANNOT WIN THE FIREFIGHT, HIS ATTACK WILL STALL.

Use terrain to advantage, and dig in.

Don't put too much emphasis on the physical defense of objective flags. 1) These are often placed in indefensible areas, and 2) They will often be targeted by enemy arty DF's (TRP's) so any unit(s) you place there are likely to become casualties. If they (the objective flags) are captured, you should plan on re-taking them by counter attack.

ALWAYS TRY TO GIVE YOUR UNITS A FALL-BACK OPTION. "He who fights and runs away..." etc. etc.

TIME IS AS IMPORTANT AS GROUND AND CASUALTIES. Try to slow the enemy assault up: - snipers and sharpshooters are particularly useful here.

Hope these few points are of some use.

Regards,

Richard.