What CM massive multiplayer should be like (my point of view)

This is not a plug - I wonder if BTS can help me to do similar thing for CM. All I need is saved file format...

CloseCombat3 game just got an multiplayer mod. Yes - I wrote it myself. I wanted to write it for CM originally - but Saved game file of CM proved hard to reverse engineer.

MMCC3.gif

http://home.san.rr.com/apiotrow/MMCC3/

I would love to make one for CM!!!

Anyway - what makes it different from other multiplayer campains?

*Emphasis is on playing games.

*No turns

*Play any time. No one controls you, no one commands you. Not historically accurate - but thats what I like. I love historical units and their capabilities but let me choose what to do, where to go!

*Attack/Defend anywhere, anytime.

*You can make your own campains in about an hour. Maps/points/weather are configurable. If you think map of europe is too large for CC3 games - use map of Normandy if you want. You can then lauch it and forget it! No management needed.

*If you don't want to play human opponent, you can play against AI.

*Play any side you want - any time you want.

*Summer and Winter maps are used depending on geographic location and time of the year.

*Number of purchase points changes depending on date.

*Random additional points (1 in 10 chance).

*You keep your own units from one game to the next game.

*Every win/loss changes situation on the map.

*You can create Desert, Stalingrad or WestFront!

[This message has been edited by killmore (edited 03-25-2001).]

Wow. I'm impressed. BTS, give him the saved file format! Don't make me send in the Panthers!

------------------

The Last Defense- Made any scenarios? Send them here!

Well my skiff's a twenty dollar boat, And I hope to God she stays afloat.

But if somehow my skiff goes down, I'll freeze to death before I drown.

And pray my body will be found, Alaska salmon fishing, boys, Alaska salmon fishing.

Guest Rommel22

Very Impressive!

All I need to do is find a copy of CC3.

I had a CD but I lost it, my friend has one, I'll borrow his and try it out, LOOKS AWESOME!!! Cant't wait to try it!

By the way. MMCC3 is in Beta. I launched it today. There are few people playing it right now - but you can play against AI anyway.

I played 2 people today over the internet. One was in Michigan, other one in Boston. (I am in California).

(forgive the rookie-esque dbl.post redface.gif )

This would be a truly grand utility for CM!!!

The mind boggles at the thought of the sheer number of 1st-class campaigns and campaign ladders we would see virtually overnight. I hope you can persuade them!

------------------

Clubfoot.

melton1911@aol.com

Do it in the desert at www.dfdr.net

[This message has been edited by Clubfoot (edited 03-25-2001).]

I don't get it (never played CC).

How it would work for CM, no, what exactly you would be able to do with this utility?

Lets assume I'm an even bigger idiot than we all know I am.

What exactly is this?

Im having trouble understanding what you propose and how it works. If you don't mind, could you explain it to me as if I was, say, 10 years old?

Thanks,

Terence

[This message has been edited by Terence (edited 03-26-2001).]

If there is a utility that BTS can release that allows us to set up Scenarios/Quick Battles on the fly, than a campaign would be incredibly easy. All logistics would be handled by an outside utility (Like COCAT) and then parsed into a CM scenario (If a map of the terrain where the battle takes place is available) or a Quick Battle (If the map doesn't exist, just the terrain type). Well, theoretically, at least.

WOHOOOOOOOOOOOO!

This would be AWESOME!!!!! For CM.

I use to play cc series all time but haven't played once since CM came out.

Killmore great job please please continue your quest and get this for us for CM.

Again this would be so much fun and more sleepless nights and going to work like a zombie I can hardley wait.

Originally posted by argie:

Do you want to see how a CM Multiplayer works?

Go to:

http://www.delphi.com/cmmcallied/start

http://www.delphi.com/cmmcaxis/start

You will see the development of the CPX, a Combat Post eXercise for testing of CMMC (Combat Mission Meta Campaign) concept and rules.

Ariel

[This message has been edited by argie (edited 03-26-2001).]

But the main point with this would be that you could play a campaign against the AI, without another human to handle details which (correct me if I'm mistaken) the CMMC can't or isn't doing at the moment. I'd love to see something like this. I've been joining campaign games and such left and right lately just so I can get the chance to have a sense of continuity in the game. I wish we could get a built-in CM feature like this, but it's not gonna happen, so our only hope is for someone to do it 3rd party.

------------------

Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.

Originally posted by Wolfpack:

But the main point with this would be that you could play a campaign against the AI, without another human to handle details which (correct me if I'm mistaken)

Right!

You can play campain against AI. You can play against other players. Results are instant! There is no need for game master! In fact the are few rules. Emphasis is on PLAYING CM not on ROLE playing DIVISION structure. It is up to you and only you where you want to fight and how you want to fight.

Preferably you play against other players. But again after you finish the game your units are saved on your machine (and opponents on his own). You can instantly start new game in another area against willing human or the AI. You keep surviving units from last game, you get points which you can spend any way you want to to purchase more units.

Login any time you want, play any time you want, there are no turns to worry about. You don't need to wait for anyone.

Originally posted by Terence:

Lets assume I'm an even bigger idiot than we all know I am.

What exactly is this?

You should probably try it...

Lets see - let me describe typical sequence of events.

1) Start MMCC3, Choose your side, Connect to server.

2) You can change side anytime you want.

3) You will see a large map in front of you. Some areas belong to Germans, other to allies.

4) Lets say you want to play against AI. Select a sector that no other player wants to play. Start game in that sector. Since you are a new player you get large number of points. Purchase your units. (anything you want). My app creates saved CloseCombat game. Start CloseCombat (or CM). Play against AI.

5) After the game your surving units are saved. Some of them might be promoted to say veteran status. If you won, then sector on the map becomes controlled by your side. If you loose sector now belongs to enemy side.

6) If results of your game caused some units to be surrounded on the map, that sector will get no points in next game.

7) Time is adjusted with every game, weather also changes depending on time of year...

8) Lets say you want to play against human now. Select a sector with a game waiting. Say other player will allow you to play with him. You purchase additional units to supplement units that survived you last game. (So does the opponent).

Number of points you get depends on your rank and the position of your side. (You might get very little if you are german in April 1945). Saved game if automatically generated for you. You will just need to load it. Time of day, weather are set too to appropriate values. (Snow in December for example)

9) Go to CloseCombat3 (or CM) Play a game against human.

10) After that the results of the game are extracted and saved. Situation on the map will change...