Damn those PIATs!!

Man-O-Man, I been playing agianst the Brits alot lately and those damn PIATs they have are sure hard on armor. I can see why they get targeted so much. They pack a nasty punch. They can also get lost in the mass of men during a battle too. I've learned to keep my eyes open for them. Too often I'll be moving my armor up closer to my front and WHAMMO! Another Panzer unit taken out. I sure am having fun with this game though.

~Skott Karlsson~

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Xavier:

It's certainly a stupid question but I ask myself how it is possible for Piat, zook and schreck to fire on a target at a lower level.

Didn't the rocket gone out of the tube before firing?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't know about the zook or shreck, but the piat is spring loaded. Think of a toy dart gun and you'll get the idea.

------------------

Jeff Abbott

I think the PIAT being spring-loaded like a dart gun is slightly incorrect. I know it had the large spring, but I think all the spring did was impact some kind of charge on the shell, ignighting the charge. The charge is what gave most of the propolsion...

At least, thiat's my understanding of it, anyone know for sure?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ben Galanti:

I think all the spring did was impact some kind of charge on the shell, ignighting the charge. The charge is what gave most of the propolsion...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes. And the blast would also recock the spring.

[This message has been edited by Jarmo (edited 01-12-2001).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ben Galanti:

I think the PIAT being spring-loaded like a dart gun is slightly incorrect. I know it had the large spring, but I think all the spring did was impact some kind of charge on the shell, ignighting the charge. The charge is what gave most of the propolsion...

At least, thiat's my understanding of it, anyone know for sure?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No it was spring propelled. That is also one of the reasons it is so hard to spot. No exhaust plume.

------------------

Veni, vidi, panzerschrecki

[This message has been edited by Banshee (edited 01-12-2001).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Banshee:

No it was spring propelled. That is also one of the reasons it is so hard to spot. No exhaust plume.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Interesting really. It stands to reason that the spring did infact play

at least a significant part in launching the projectile. Otherwise why

produce such a large spring at all? But on the other hand, there was also

a charge. According to Ian Hoggs "20th century artillery" the charge

re-cocked the spring so it wouldn't be necessary to do it manually

(except for the first shot). Now, to be able to drive the spring back,

the push from the charge needs to be stronger than the spring. So more

than half of the velocity comes from the blast?

[This message has been edited by Jarmo (edited 01-12-2001).]

According to this site the projectile also "accelerates in flight"

http://www.geocities.com/Augusta/8172/panzerfaust13.htm#piat

So the spring and charge must not be responsible for all the velocity attained.

No plume in CM though is very cool. One other feature of the PIAT is that you can fire from indoors without the AT team automatically going to suppressed status afterwards due to the rocket exhaust.

Personally though for actual military service the Bazooka of Panzerfaust/PanzerShreck seem superior.

The PIAT is ungainly, heavy, very difficult and time-consuming to load and it's trajectory is akin to a long throw from centerfield toward home plate ... in short, it's not very accurate. The rare instances that it hits something, it generally can either take it out or slow it down.

Perhaps most of your experiences have been better than mine. I had two veteran crews at <100m miss with all 20 shots. The only reason they lived as that the Boche armor never saw the plume ... and they were too busy laughing.

I have found they are most effective at 100m or less ... for obvious reasons of flatter trajectory and proximity of target.

That it has no plume is about its only redeeming quality.

Just my 2 cents

------------------

"Moriarty, you suck." -- Dunno, but somebody must've said it somewhere along the line

"The rare instances that it hits something, it generally can either take it out or slow it down.

Perhaps most of your experiences have been better than mine. I had two veteran crews at <100m miss with all 20 shots"

True, true. My only success has been the point black rear firing on the Panther G. But then again I've probably only played 25 or so games with a PIAT.

MSW

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Moriarty:

The PIAT is ungainly, heavy, very difficult and time-consuming to load and it's trajectory is akin to a long throw from centerfield toward home plate

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The PIAT was a British weapon. so surely you mean a long throw from long leg to the wicket keeper smile.gif.