Comrades, details on this tank??

I am not sure if this experimental tank existed or if someone has a good imagination. Does anyone know of Pz E-79? It's a pretty cool looking tank. The chassis looks sort of like a Panther but the turret looks like a T-62's--low profile, mushroom shape but with a square end. Armed with a 128mm gun I think or perhaps an 88mm. If it did exist, I can understand why we won't see it in Cm2 but it would be awfully cool to see.

Also, what exactly is zimmerit armor? I know what it looks like but what advantages does it hold other than it looks like it went through a cheese grater? Thanks

[ 07-12-2001: Message edited by: Commissar ]

Zimmerit is just a paste applied to resist the ability of magnetic mines to stick to it. I don't believe it added any armor value. I also think its use was discontinued before the war ended, but I am sure some of the grogs can correct me here.

Zimmerit paste was applied to many German vehicles from September '43 until September '44. It was a mixture of various things (only ingredient that I'm sure of right now off the top of my head is sawdust) and was applied with trowels at the factory. The purpose was to prevent the application of magnetic mines by creating a rough separation between the steel plate and the mine. The only problem was the threat of magnetic mines never materialized so it was essentially worthless.

BTW, I have always heard that one of the reasons the Germans discontinued its use was their belief that it created a fire hazard both because it was potentially flammable and because fuel would sometimes collect in the crevices. Not sure if there is any validity to this, though.

Also, are you talking about the E-75? I have never heard of the E-79, so I assume this is what you mean. I don't believe I have seen any drawings of the E-75, so if you have a link feel free to share, I'd definitely appreciate a peek.

[ 07-12-2001: Message edited by: jgdpzr ]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jgdpzr:

Zimmerit paste was applied to many German vehicles from September '43 until September '44. It was a mixture of various things (only ingredient that I'm sure of right now off the top of my head is sawdust) and was applied with trowels at the factory. The purpose was to prevent the application of magnetic mines by creating a rough separation between the steel plate and the mine. The only problem was the threat of magnetic mines never materialized so it was essentially worthless.

BTW, I have always heard that one of the reasons the Germans discontinued its use was their belief that it created a fire hazard both because it was potentially flammable and because fuel would sometimes collect in the crevices. Not sure if there is any validity to this, though.

Also, are you talking about the E-75? I have never heard of the E-79, so I assume this is what you mean. I don't believe I have seen any pictures of the E-75, so if you have a link feel free to share, I'd definitely appreciate a peek.

[ 07-12-2001: Message edited by: jgdpzr ]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's not actually a picture. It's a model but I am assuming it's based on some experimental German tank that never saw operational status or even saw life outside of the drawing board. Take a look! PzKpfw_E-79.jpg

[ 07-12-2001: Message edited by: Commissar ]

Let's try this:

PzKpfw_E-79.jpg

Ahhh, there we go.

Well I looked in the venerable Encyclopedia of German Tanks of WWII and found the E-100. It has a very similar chassis. The wheels and front hull look about the same. But the rest of the hull superstructure is different. The picture shown is without turret. However it mentions a 150mm main gun though.

[ 07-12-2001: Message edited by: Maximus ]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by gatpr:

I recall reading in somebody's memoirs that they discontinued Zimmertrit because no one was using magnetic mines.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep, the Germans were the only ones to ever field them in any numbers. The Germans started Zimmerit at the same time they started issuing Hafthollahdung mines assuming the Russians would copy them. Fortunately for them the Russians never bothered, so they stopped making zimmerit coatings sometime around September, October '44.

ROFLMAO!!!!

You've all been hoodwinked!

The E79 is in fact a tank from a Japanese developed Tactical wargame currently available only on Playstation!

The game, Panzer Front , included a selection of historic and *ahem* non-historic AFVs (ie designed by the game developers) with which to fight with.

The E79 was one of the latter.

Mace

[ 07-13-2001: Message edited by: Mace ]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mace:

ROFLMAO!!!!

The E79 is in fact a tank from a Japanese developed Tactical wargame currently available only on Playstation!

The game, Panzer Front , included a selection of historic and *ahem* non-historic AFVs (ie designed by the game developers) with which to fight with.

The E79 was one of the latter.

Mace

[ 07-13-2001: Message edited by: Mace ]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well I did say I wasn't sure if it was real or someone's imagination. Looks neat anyway. Bye, bye image. However, here is another one and this time the equipment did exist:

IS-2.jpg

[ 07-13-2001: Message edited by: Commissar ]

[ 07-13-2001: Message edited by: Commissar ]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mace:

ROFLMAO!!!!

Mace

[ 07-13-2001: Message edited by: Mace ]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was gonna say I have never heard of an E-79, the German E series data I have seen was E-5, E-10, E-25, E-50, E-75 & E-100.

Regards, John Waters

The Zimmerit plasticized paste was nitro-solvent based and included lots of sawdust. Its application to the Panther G, at least, was discontinued in September '44 to cut down on the time needed to apply it and let it dry (six days for the latter).

Indeed there is no E-79 that I know of, though there is an E-75 as mentioned before. It was to be a replacement for the Panther series and was to superceed the development of the PzKpfw VF and PzKpfw II. Details can be found at Technical Virtue (see below) - a very good site indeed. There is no link for the E-75, though if you follow the link for the E-50 it details the E-75 there.

Technical Virtue

One secondary feature of Zimmerit coating:

Major H. K. Lorance, commanding officer of 899 T.D. battalion reported in his "Lessons Learned on Mk. V tanks":

Camouflage: The German has outdone himself here. The tanks observed were covered with linoleum-like surface glued to the hull and turret. This had a rippled surface to reduce glare and is painted in shades of green much as an American parachute...The result is as perfect a camouflage in this green hedgerow country as can be obtained..."

Ari

That is some really interesting stuff.

That E-100 tank looks very mean!

What if after all of the theaters are done if BTS makes a secret weapons of the nations version? Maybe set it in 1946 and use weapons that were in design? Could be fun. smile.gif

Gen