Proposed T-House Combined Arms League Format for New CMBO Historical Ladder

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More suggestions:

The artillery setting for short-75 rules should say "up to 107m", which would include the British 4.2 inch mortars. It has less blast that the 105m howitzers.

Axis Heer has too many choices. Volksgrenadiere should make their own group. I would find it fair to say: if you take Volksgrenadiere, then limit vehicles and tanks to what Fallschirmjaeger have. Not that Airborne has anything to do with Volksgrenadiere, but the AFV available would make a nice balance versus the SMG troops: sdkfz 250/1, 251/1, and StuG (no StuH). All support material is allowed.

Or agree on a virtual price raise for SMG troops.

BTW, I cannot read http://tournamenthouse.com/CM/THCAL.shtml at all (Netscape 3.x), just the headline is showing, the date and anything below it is not.

While we are at it, what about the Website and readability in different browsers? I also reported the rating system info page to be truncated by mail, but never got a response. Suppose I would make suggestions for more portable HTML code, could/would someone apply it?

Martin

We seem to agree that the simple "one force only" rule favours the German Heer too much.

We have two alternatives:

- Allow mix of Army and Airborne for all nations

- or narrow down Heer, i.e. as I suggested by making Volksgrenadier into their own "virtual" group with reduced vehicle choices.

I'd like to rephrase that option two is better, because option one opens a can of worms of combinations, for example may you mixed German airborne and Mountain troops. Also, if you allow the Airborne/Army mix, you loose much of what the narrowing down is for. We are supposed to *choose* between SMG-heavy infantry and decent tanks. One or the other, make your choice. If you allow the airborne/army mix, you don't have to choose here.

The only thing that this would narrow down is mixing U.S. and U.K. units. That is rather pointless, there are not many combinations that create a problem for the game. So you can have U.S. 12-men squads with 3 inch mortars. That's not a big deal, the big one is the SMG squads with decent tanks issue. Can you name many serious game problems that arises from U.S. and U.K mix? How much would we gain from the liberale rule?

Hence my suggestion to do something against the overdone German freedom, instead of freeing the allied player to do the same nonsense.

Martin makes a good point.

Lets look at what the issue is or exactly what is the problem we are trying to solve.

That problem is cherry picking that leads to the abuse of picking units by following the "The system" of cheap SMG squads and heavy tanks and towed guns, and lots of them.

Lets revisit what exactly it is about "the system" of cherry picking that is offensive about it, and deal with that.

We should keep in mind that even after all the new CAL rules are written competive players (perhaps even myself) will look for new ways to optimize the buying and cherry picking under the NEW CAL rules to get the best bang for the buck and optimize the unit selection for the purpose of not being out gunned when the battle commences.

I am not being critical at all, I think the current proposals go ALONG way to make the game and unit selection (aka cherry picking) alot MORE balanced now.

I'm looking forward to CAL ladder games.

Starting this weekend maybe?

-tom w

An updated version of the CAL guidelines is being done and will be available soon. The posts here and the e-mails we have been receiving have been most helpful and encouraging. Many of the ideas have been included in the update.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Abbott:

An updated version of the CAL guidelines is being done and will be available soon. The posts here and the e-mails we have been receiving have been most helpful and encouraging. Many of the ideas have been included in the update.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Great

thanks

-tom w

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Martin Cracauer:

While we are at it, what about the Website and readability in different browsers? I also reported the rating system info page to be truncated by mail, but never got a response. Suppose I would make suggestions for more portable HTML code, could/would someone apply it?

Martin<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

As a web designer, I can tell you that Netscape is a joke. Get off it now and go with the lesser evil, IE. Netscape can't handle tables and even has trouble with Flash. It's not worth it for a web designer to put all the time in to satisfy Netscape users when those users total about 3-4% of the population. The best thing to do here is simply use IE.

Why narrow down the number of possible readers? TH is the only major CM website where I cannot read some pages. With all respect, TH is not such a beautiful website that it is worth the trouble. Nor seems beauty to be important for the task.

IE is inacceptable on the machine I read most websites on, due to security reasons.

BTW, I checked the rating system info page on IE and it still looks truncated (the same as in Netscape). Wasn't there some sentense that player classes were not supposed to play each other and the exact formular?

You wrote: TH is the only major CM website where I cannot read some pages.

TH is the only site that uses a fully automated system too.

TH stats are updated automatically after every game report is made. The cgi output is on every page. Other sites are updated by hand. If I updated the sites rankings, games played and all the other automated stuff by hand, we would not have this viewing problem that you describe in Netscape, but the site would suffer. We would need a full time staff posting updates every few seconds. TH, in my opinion is second to none. But I am bias smile.gif

The only pages I cannot read are the for CAL, both seem to be hand-written. I have no problems with any other page of yours, including the user/game/whatever lists that are probably auto-generated.

Also, THCAL.shtml has about 24 KB of pure text, but the page with all the invisible bloat is 268000 bytes. No wonder it loads so long.

The really looks worth looking into, if you reduce some of the bloat, it will probaly work in Netscape with no problems anyway. Besides, I imagine that you don't get all data volume over the line for free.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by redwolf:

The only pages I cannot read are the for CAL, both seem to be hand-written. I have no problems with any other page of yours, including the user/game/whatever lists that are probably auto-generated.

Also, THCAL.shtml has about 24 KB of pure text, but the page with all the invisible bloat is 268000 bytes. No wonder it loads so long.

The really looks worth looking into, if you reduce some of the bloat, it will probaly work in Netscape with no problems anyway. Besides, I imagine that you don't get all data volume over the line for free.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That page was written as an MS Word document, not with HTML, Word likes to add a lot of unneeded bytes at times, perhaps that is the problem.

[ 04-28-2001: Message edited by: Abbott ]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by redwolf:

You mention "Word" and "problem" in one paragraph and you dare to mention "perhaps" as well?

Just kidding ;)

Anything I could do to assist in moving this to other tools?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL smile.gif