Proposed T-House Combined Arms League Format for New CMBO Historical Ladder

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Martin Cracauer:

...The only thing that this would narrow down is mixing U.S. and U.K. units. That is rather pointless, there are not many combinations that create a problem for the game. So you can have U.S. 12-men squads with 3 inch mortars. That's not a big deal, the big one is the SMG squads with decent tanks issue. Can you name many serious game problems that arises from U.S. and U.K mix? How much would we gain from the liberale rule?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Because this leads to exactly the same situation with the Allies (American 12-man Glider squads supported by Churchills and Fireflys) that yr trying to remedy with the Heer Volksgren units by limiting the choice of armor available to them: Force a choice of good infantry or good armor, not cherry-pick both.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Flipper:

RANDOM FORCE'S ONLY!!!!!!!!!!!get's rid of all that GAMEY DRECK!!!!!!!!!!!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree many times computer picked forces lead to some fun and interesting games. This would be an option if there were not a security issue.

Maybe in CMBB this will be addressed. I am imaging now the fun of random forces picked throughout the four year conflict that would lead to many interesting battles!

Computer picking would be great, however, the mechanism currently in CMBO is just not good enough. It often gives forces that have barely anything to do with what you selected and often is outright unfair to one side. I also don't see that it is very historical, few homogenous tank platoons, many SP guns in frontline etc.

In a coorporate ladder -like TH:CAL seem to become- it would make more sense to have a trusted third person choose forces and send his selection to both players. Tournament save is not overly useful since you had to do much of the terrain, flag placement and assault/defence difference yourself. The QB mechanism is quite good here, IMHO. So just send an email with: "you will take x, y, z".

This can also be extended so that 80 or 90% of the points are given and you spend the rest yourself so that you can't later

groan "had I just one Marder", but without being able to optimize forces point-wise.

Of course, I offer this service to anyone interested.

[ 04-30-2001: Message edited by: redwolf ]