Ceasefire, Does anyone ask for it?

Just curious about this, does anyone ever use this during a game? I have been tempted the last couple of pbems I've played. My troops were pretty much a spent force and to continue would only be to add to an already mounting casualty list. How does asking a ceasefire work in relation to victory points? If I'm gonna ask for a ceasefire it means that I know I can't win so the other guy is certain to be ahead of me at stage anyway. So asking for a ceasefire would be just acknowledging earlier on in the game who the winner is.

Or is all this talk of ceasefire just the closet tree hugging hippy coming out in me!!

Any thoughts on this one, serious or taking the p**s are welcome.

Ceasefire is, in my book, acknowledgment from both parties than, on the whole, the battle is set, and no matter what actions are taken by both parties, the result won't vary much. Both accept that they can't win. If it's only one side that can't win, then a surrender is in order, I think.

Ceasefire's not a way to reduce the losing margin by stopping the fight before you're totally overrun (well, unless you're opponent doesn't know how close he is to that, in which case it's a shrewd trick to pull of course :D )

Originally posted by Runyan99:

I know you quit 'South of Kharkov'. Are you playing a 120 turn scenario, or are you just digging at me?

We're in turn 40 right now and I just took the right flag. However Andreas has a few problems sending me the right turn :D

Other PBEMs include a 70+ turn behemoth designed by me. There is much more action in my scen... howitzers firing a mile over open sights, exploding light tanks... planes doing the right thing actually bombing the enemy. 2 (or even more) tanks with one bomb on a bunched up plt.

Your scen is a good depiction of "boring" routine infantry work. Methodically reducing a stronghold without armor support: Grab next "cover". Move support to new place. Advance to next cover. Always prepared for counterattacks.

It shows what you can do if there is enough time. Hard for the defender. I just hope he can assemble a force able to counterattack.

Gruß

Joachim