Russian 14.5mm KPV MG

From what I know the 14.5mm KPVT heavy machinegun was developed shortly after WW2. It fires high-velocity anti-tank ammunition.

First designed as an AA MG it was then used mostly on lighter AFVs like the BTR and BRDM series together with a 7.62mm MG.

IIRC the T-72 used a 7.62mm coax MG and a 12.7mm MG, not the 14.5mm.

Muzzle velocity: 900m/s

Both the U.S. .50 cal Browning and the Russian 14.5 were developed to use the excellent ammo from obsolete ant-tank rifles (the U.S. round dates from WWI I believe). The two mgs are roughly equivalent heavy vehicle-mounted mgs. The U.S. .50 cal round has come full-circle, being used once again by heavy sniper rifles.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ParaBellum:

IIRC the T-72 used a 7.62mm coax MG and a 12.7mm MG, not the 14.5mm.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, the co-ax is a 7.62mm, but the KPV has been used as an AA mount. The footage I mentioned was from Chechnya and showed a tank commander firing the 14.5mm from his hatch. If it was developed after WWII, I guess we won't see it in CMBB (darn).

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Barticus:

Anyone have any information on this puppy? I think the Russkies used to mount them on their T-72's and I have seen some rather impressive footage of one firing. Otherwise, I have no idea when it was developed, deployed etc.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

According to my copy of Jane's "Heavy Automatic Weapons", the KPV (the KPVT was the version mounted internally inside AFV turrets) its data is:

Operation: Short Recoil, automatic

Feed: Continious closed pocket belt

Weight: Gun only 49.1kg; Barrel with jacket 19.5kg.

Length: Gun 200.5cm; Barrel 134.5cm

Sights: Cylindrical post foresight; tangent leaf U-notch rear 200-2,000m x 100m

Rate of Fire: 600 Rds/min cycle

Effective Range: 2,000 again ground targets. 1,400m AA.

It has both a much higher rate of fire and a longer effective range over the .50 Cal M2HB HMG.