T/34s at night w/ sirens and headlights

in the russian 'breakthrough' over the dnieper... i believe it was 3rd tank army... i've read that in one night battle they had sirens blaring and headlights beaming from the t/34s. this is something i would like to see in cmbb... much sooner than the maus.

thanks for your consideration,

andy

Oh yeah, I would like to see that, too.

Especially as the gunner of a 88mm Pak.

First the sirens:"Hey zere, fashist dogs! Wake up, we're coming!!"

Then:"What, you can't see us, wait, we'll turn on the headlights! Better now?"

:D

But yes, you're right.

IIRC it was Gen.Rybalkov who ordered his tanks to charge through the german lines with sirens howling and headlights on, firing on the move.

It was supposed to psychologically wear down the defenders.

When you consider that the russians had 3 armys, 1 tank corps and 2500 guns, heavy mortars and Katyushas to break through the german line held by three weak divisions I wonder if the "psychological effect" was significant in any way besides a nice story for the press...

Ya that seems like it would interesting, but I would rather see the vehicles that saw combat like the the land battle ship the T-35; 5 turrets, 1 with the 76short, 2 with 45 mm, 2 with mg's, I think that would be more interesting in the game than a maus or a Is III.... ;)

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dragonwagon:

Ya that seems like it would interesting, but I would rather see the vehicles that saw combat like the the land battle ship the T-35; 5 turrets, 1 with the 76short, 2 with 45 mm, 2 with mg's, I think that would be more interesting in the game than a maus or a Is III.... ;)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agreed. But BTS has said that the present engine would not be able to aim more than one turret.

Michael

Besides I read about the so called "land battleship"

I can sum it up for you

useless

Utterly useless. Hardly ever used and Russia's poor roads didn't help at the time. The last time I heard of it being used was a modified evrsion of it being used to launch fireworks (no kidding)

See, Steel Panthers: World at War IS informative. And besides, people would use the bloody things all the time is mass quantities. It'd rank up with SMG hoardes and massive rocket bombardment on the first turn. Not to mention it wouldn't even be historically accurate as they were hardly used. I believe only 50-60 were made during the course of the war.

Actually, Zhukov used the same 'trick' during the assault on Berlin. While it was initially successful, the Germans anticipated its use when Zhukov attacked the Zeelowe Heights. Basically, they had the 88s target any search lights. It was a mess. What the hay, I like Rokossovsky better anyway smile.gif