Prelim of M3A1 / White Scout Car mod

O.K., this is my first attempt at doing this (although I have had some gentle coaching by Manx and Old Dog), so here goes....

Below please find a pic of a mod that I am currently working on, which is getting close to being completed.

M3A1.jpg

There are currently two Commonwealth versions, two American versions, one winter version, and a Free French version which is too basic at this point to show. The one Commonwealth version w/ the yellow air recog pennant on top is from a picture in a book about the Normandy landings that I have. The others are non-specific, but I have tried to include details from other pictures which I have which have a historical basis.

One question that I have, that maybe someone can provide an answer for- the picture that I have of the British White Scout car clearly shows a white star peeking out underneath of the a/c recog pennant on the hood. Another picture on the same page shows a British Universal Carrier going through Bayeux (sp?) w/ a white star on it's side plate. Another picture in the same book shows a Canadian Uni. Carrier with a white star on it's front glacis plate. Now, I am probably ignorant about this, but was this a common recognition symbol used by allied forces in the ETO (the white five point star, that is.)? And was this used throughout the war, or only in the time period in / about the Normandy landings (say June - August '44)? I'm just curious, becuase I am wondering if I should be looking at this as a common detail on the mod I am working on for the Sexton SP gun, and other vehicles.

Well, thanks for any / all feedback. As soon as this mod has been reviewed and critiqued, and updated accordingly, I will be giving it to Manx to host on his site.

Regards,

MSP

[ 04-18-2001: Message edited by: Feldgrau ]

Now updated so-hopefully- the image link works!

[ 04-18-2001: Message edited by: Feldgrau ]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by russellmz:

looks awesome dude.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

O.K., I admit failure....How did you manage to make the image appear? It doesn't show up at all in my post (at least at my computer...)

Sensi Manx & Old Dog- I have failed! I am not worthy... I shall return to my hovel and ne'r post again...

:D

Many thanks russellmz!

Regards,

MSP

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Feldgrau:

O.K., I admit failure....How did you manage to make the image appear? It doesn't show up at all in my post (at least at my computer...)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You had a teeny tiny spelling error in your %7Boption%7D tag. You had M3A1.jpeg instead of just M3A1.jpg.

Anyway, am I going to be seeing a beta copy of this mod soon?

Maximus

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Maximus:

You had a teeny tiny spelling error in your p><p> ROTFLMAO....  Ye Gadhs, what a put

Well, humility is best served in an open forum.... %7Boption%7Dsmile.gif' alt='> Well, humility is best served in an open forum.... %7Boption%7Dsmile.gif'>

Maximus- this is the one that I spoke to you about the other day. I'd like to finish off the Free French version a bit further before I send it to you. It is from a picture in George Forty's book "Patton's Third Army at War", and I am having a bit of trouble making out what appear to be some markings on the hood (or painted out markings, I'm not sure?). I should have something for you to review by this weekend.

MSP

Yes, to answer your question, the 5 pointed star, either alone or within a solid or broken circle was considered an "allied" recognition marker, and not just an "American" mark. However, some nationalities took somewhat of a dim view of it. Some Canadian vehicles displayed a crooked or inverted star.

Gordon

btw, looks very good. Can't wait for it.

[ 04-18-2001: Message edited by: Gordon ]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gordon:

However, some nationalities took somewhat of a dim view of it. Some Canadian vehicles displayed a crooked or inverted star.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Figures, eh? ;)tongue.gif Canadians ALWAYS have to be different. :rolleyes:

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gordon:

[QB]Yes, to answer your question, the 5 pointed star, either alone or within a solid or broken circle was considered an "allied" recognition marker, and not just an "American" mark. However, some nationalities took somewhat of a dim view of it. Some Canadian vehicles displayed a crooked or inverted star.QB]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gordon,

Thanks! I wasn't sure if this was just something I was noticing because I was looking at a couple of 'atypical' pictures, or not.

A "crooked" or "inverted" star, eh? Hmmmm... that would look interesting....

Thanks again!

Regards,

MSP